Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat urinating outside box-behavorial problem?

ssll96
September 8th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Hello, for the first time last night, my cat urinated outside his litter box. He did it on my bed, and I don't know what to think of it. He did go to the vet about a month ago and was determined healthy, although I know that problems can always arise. He hasn't shown in other symptoms of problems. We are going to be moving soon, so I do have a lot of boxed packed. I'm wondering if this might be upsetting him, and he's acting out. I always clean out his litter box, so I don't think that should be a problem. I just wanted thoughts from everyone else. Thanks.

ancientgirl
September 8th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Hi, welcome to the board.

If your kitty has been checked out as fine, and he's showing no other signs of illness, then he might be stressed because of the change in the house.

I know cats don't like change. That can be anything from moving your furniture to actually moving!

When I was moving about a month ago, I had boxes all over the place. While neither of my cats took to urinating outside their boxes, Vlad did get a little depressed. He wasn't acting himself. As soon as we moved he was okay. So that might be your problem.

You may also want to get some Feliway and put that in your new place before you move in. That way when you bring kitty to the new place, the Feliway will help lower his stress level.

krdahmer
September 8th, 2007, 11:14 AM
If you are packing and his world is not just so... that could definitely be it. Of course you should have him looked over by a vet to be sure. Cats are not the greatest at adapting to change and thats just their way of telling us that something is not to their liking or that something is wrong. Hope its just behavioural!

You'll need to thoroughly clean the bed, and maybe get a matress cover or he will continue to use that spot, we had that problem here when we moved... she kept doing it until I got the matress cover.

ssll96
September 8th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the advice. I have heard a lot about feliway. I will try that. :thumbs up

pr4557
September 9th, 2007, 06:56 PM
u need to check for urinary tract infection,as missing the bx is very often a symptom.