Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feeding amount

Bluedrake
September 8th, 2007, 04:50 AM
I have a question for those who feed a grainless canned diet to their cats, such as Wellness and Innova Evo.

How much do you feed daily? My cat has been having very liquidy stool since I started giving her Wellness about a month ago. I don't think it's diahrrea though. She goes in the litterbox like clockwork every twelve hours, so I think I might be overfeeding her. I give her about half a 12 oz. can a day. Is that too much?

sugarcatmom
September 8th, 2007, 03:40 PM
How much does your cat weigh and how old is she? A loose guideline for calorie intake is between 15-30 cal/lb per day, depending on the cat's size, age, and activity level. Generally, most cats should be fine with between 6-9oz of canned (typical foods have 25-40 cal/oz). My 14 yr old cat (neutered male) weighs 15.5 lbs and eats approximately 6oz of Wellness a day (depending on the flavour, Wellness is one of the higher calorie ones at 40cal/oz), plus a few treats. Because of his age and lifestyle, he's at the low end of around 15 cal/lb/day, any more than that and he gains weight. A younger hyper cat could easily need at least twice that much. Basically, if your cat needs to lose weight, feed less, if it should gain, feed more.

As for the soft stools, perhaps adding some probiotics would help? Sometimes it takes a while for the bacteria in the digestive tract to normalize after a diet change. Could also be that your cat isn't used to the high fat content of Wellness.

Bluedrake
September 8th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks for your reply.

My cat used to be on Purina.

Last time she was weighted, she was just a little above 9 pounds. The thing is, she keeps begging for food, so I assume she is hungry. She is 8 years old, so it might take a little longer for her to get adjusted.

I'll try to find probiotics.

sugarcatmom
September 8th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Well, if she's not overweight you could try feeding her a touch more to see if that satiates her. Otherwise it may just be something she'll have to get used to. At the beginning of this year I had to cut back the amount of food my dude was eating and you'd have thought I was starving him to death the way he carried on. He would actually go on midnight pantry raids trying to find something edible (even broke into a bag of spiced almonds once!). He did eventually settle down, thank goodness.

Ford Girl
September 9th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Hi, I recently switched Pubert to Orijen and Evo, grain free foods, he gets 1/2 cup per day of kibble, and 2 tsp a day of wet, and he too begs for food like he's starving, but he's getting the amount on the higher end of the feeding chart, he's gained weight - a good thing, and his poops are softer, but he loves it! He's about 10lbs, and 12-14 years old.

Bluedrake
September 11th, 2007, 06:37 PM
I just remembered something. My cat used to have bloody stool and would cry whenever she went into the litterbox, and that has now stopped, thank goodness. Also, Purina contains stool hardeners, and she still had very loose, yellowish stool on that.

My guess is that her bowels were a, literally, bloody mess, and it will take some time for her to heal and adjust.

It's not an allergic reaction either, of that I am sure, as she will make normal coloured, formed stool when she has barely eaten anything (I had her sitted for a weekend, and she sulked :D).

Other than the messy stool, she's doing fine.