Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Orijin, Orijin, Orijin!

Tommysmom
September 7th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Well, I keep hearing all you guys talking about Orijin... 'it's great for this, it's better for that, I feed it now, it's finally out, I'm waiting for it, where I can I get it', yada yada yada... sooooooooo...

Yep, I picked up some Orijin now that the fish one is out near me! Tommy was starting to get bored again anyway, I have to mix 2-3 foods together and rotate different stuff in every few months to keep him eating. He couldn't have the regular adult one because he is allergic to chicken, and I've been waiting and waiting for the fish to come out in town. I LOVE the fact that it's Canadian, that's one of the main reasons I wanted to try it! Plus it cost me about $10 less than the Evo RM, which is an unexpected bonus:D .

So, he's been eating it mixed with his Solid Gold for the last few days and so far he adores it! His poop's a wee bit softer right now, but that's probably because it's new... it's still way better than it used to be when he was younger. :D I was worried that the pieces were a bit bigger and harder than he's used to, but he seems ok with that (he's got a serious underbite and has trouble chewing some things). So far, so good:fingerscr .

Now if I could only do something about the fishy breath kisses I get after mealtimes...:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .

mummummum
September 7th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Yep ~ there's no mistaking that Orijen is a FISHY food !! Don't be surprized of Tommy's stools stay soft for a little while. It took a month or so for my crew to firm up and even now there will be a softer poop (nothing concerning though, just a little harder to pick up) every so often.

I'm so glad he's enjoying it! I'm also thrilled to be supporting a Canadian company (:ca: !!!) and am very satisfied with the food.

Tommysmom
September 7th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Oops, I spelled it wrong, didn't I?:o . LOL.

Yes, I'm very happy to support a Canadian company too... I'm one of those anti-WalMart, anti-cheap import, support Canadian whenever you can type of people so it's a great chance to put my money where my mouth is. The fact that it's decently priced is a nice bonus too.

So far I've been impressed. He likes it, and he's PICKY about his foods after being ill for so long. He's liked it from the moment I put it down. Plus it's quite high in calories, so if he only eats a bit (some days he just won't eat much) then at least a few bites of it is still nicely filling. His poops have been just moderately softer than usual, not bad at all, and that might even be due to the amount I'm feeding. He was on a non-eating binge for a few days, so he's being a little piggy right now and he might actually be eating too much - I don't really regulate his food as much as I should since he seems to do a few days eating/few days not eating/few days eating more to catch up type of schedule.

I gotta admit, I think you guys are all right - Orijen seems great so far. I'm so glad to have this board, if not for you guys I probably would have no idea about stuff like this! And a big yay for Canadian food choices:thumbs up .

Lukka'sma
September 7th, 2007, 08:51 PM
yaaa Tommy.......yaaaa Orijen......yaaaaa Tommy
I just like any reason to celebrate Tommy

Tommysmom
September 7th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Lukka'sma :laughing: :laughing: . You're such a sweetie! You're feeding Orijen now too, aren't you? We'll have to get together the next time I'm down in London and have an Orijen party:D .

mummummum
September 7th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I'm so glad to have this board, if not for you guys I probably would have no idea about stuff like this! And a big yay for Canadian food choices:thumbs up .

Yup, I too can say I've learned a heck of alot about commercial food here in a very short amount of time ~ which yis critical when you have a sick dog!

Lukka'sma
September 7th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Lukka'sma :laughing: :laughing: . You're such a sweetie! You're feeding Orijen now too, aren't you? We'll have to get together the next time I'm down in London and have an Orijen party:D .

:D :thumbs up

TeriM
September 9th, 2007, 02:27 AM
I'm so glad he's enjoying it! I'm also thrilled to be supporting a Canadian company (:ca: !!!) and am very satisfied with the food.

Ditto from me :thumbs up.

rainbow
September 9th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Ditto from me :thumbs up.

And me too. :thumbs up :ca: I also like the fact that they use local ingredients and I've also heard that you can tour their plant. :thumbs up

clm
September 10th, 2007, 07:19 AM
It's a great food IMO and I never would have heard of it if it weren't for this board. :thumbs up

Cindy

erykah1310
September 10th, 2007, 11:50 PM
See I was all thumbs up for Orijen too... UNTIL TODAY:frustrated:
Went and picked up a new bag ( regular adult formula) and to my suprise they changed the bags... no big deal right??? Well, I got home and for something to do, I read the ingredients.
Guess what.
They too have changed a bit:wall:
Yes now there is the inclusion of "Zea Mays":wall: Google it..... you wont be impressed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

Yup, thats right, using the scientific word to describe the culprit now... hopeing to throw us all off I gather.:frustrated:
I had heard else where that this ingredient was in Orijen... and apparently they are claiming it doesnt have the same qualities as its evil alter ego CORN I cant remember why right off the top of my head.
Anyways, I emailed Orijen tonight, to see their reasoning for it, and how they are going to make it out to be a wonder ingredient.
I will be sure to let you all know.

luvntzus
September 11th, 2007, 02:03 AM
I noticed that too. I thought it was a botanical ingredient and when I saw that it was corn my jaw dropped. :eek: I wonder what they're reasoning is for putting it in the ingredient list. It can't technically be called a grain free food anymore. It seems a little sneaky that they used the scientific name zea mays rather than just listing "corn". I just recently started feed it and I still think that Orijen is THE best kibble available.

Tommysmom
September 11th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Seriously? Ugh. I hope they don't change the fishy one I'm feeding. That sucks... I mean, it's good they at least put it on the bag, unlike others who don't change the bags for ages, but come on - corn? In a grain free food? I wonder how many people won't look it up to see what it is. I hope you get a reply soon, I'd like to know what they say.

Lukka'sma
September 11th, 2007, 09:17 AM
My email has been sent to Champion Foods as well stating my displeasure with the inclusion of this item:mad:
Thanks erykah1310 for noticing what I had missed.:thumbs up

Love4himies
September 11th, 2007, 10:24 AM
They can't legally advertise it as grain free now can they:shrug:?

clm
September 11th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I can't believe it. zea mays, aka sweet corn. Unbelievable. I've sent an e:mail to Champion Foods and to the Canadian Consumer Association and the Canadian Manufacturers association to complain. I feel totally cheated by their "grain free" claim.

Cindy

clm
September 11th, 2007, 01:41 PM
the e:mail to Champion foods bounced back as undeliverable. :frustrated:

Cindy

clm
September 11th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Oh, and zea mays is on the ingredient list of every variety of Orijen they make including the fish and feline formulas.

Cindy

alex_v
September 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM
A couple days ago I'd opened a new bag of 6 FISH, and to my surprise my chocolate lab refused to eat it (usually it's gone in 60 sec). He's allergic to meat and grain proteins, and he was on TO Ocean Blue for an year, when 6 FISH arrived to our store. He liked it a lot and ate three 15 lb bags for some period. He was getting better, less itchiness and even hot spots disappeared. But after he ate from new batch (only a couple portions) he start lick his paw again. Looks like we are back to TO again.

P.S. When Orijen changed his formula?

clm
September 11th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I don't know.....I'll have to check the bag I bought last week to see if it's on there. I didn't notice anything else different about the bag, so maybe it's not in my pet food store yet.

Cindy

TeriM
September 11th, 2007, 02:54 PM
A couple days ago I'd opened a new bag of 6 FISH, and to my surprise my chocolate lab refused to eat it (usually it's gone in 60 sec). He's allergic to meat and grain proteins, and he was on TO Ocean Blue for an year, when 6 FISH arrived to our store. He liked it a lot and ate three 15 lb bags for some period. He was getting better, less itchiness and even hot spots disappeared. But after he ate from new batch (only a couple portions) he start lick his paw again. Looks like we are back to TO again.

P.S. When Orijen changed his formula?

Zea Mays was included in a post from Rainbow about the six fish formula way back in April (before the release date) so it is not a new inclusion.

Seems to me we had a conversation about this ingredient with another manufacturer but I can't seem to find it :frustrated:. It is included under the "botanicals" so is not a major ingredient so unless you have a hyper-sensitive dog it should not be an issue.

alex_v
September 11th, 2007, 02:56 PM
This is list of ingredients, I'd copied from the "Championpetfoods" site on August 03/2007. The corn was there already.

FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS
Fresh salmon (includes chinook. coho and sockeye species), salmon meal, russet potato, herring meal, fresh lake whitefish, sweet potato, fresh lake trout, fresh Northern walleye, freshwater cod, fresh herring, sunflower oil, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherals, a natural source of vitamin E), sun-cured alfalfa, dried sea vegetables (brown kelp, Irish moss, dulse and bladder wrack), leeks, psyllium, crab shell, rosemary, lecithin, apples, black currants..
TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS
Chicory root (FOS), licorice root, fennel seed, zea mays, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, rosehips.
ORGANIC MINERALS
Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.
PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS
Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Enterococcus faecium fermentation product..
PREMIUM VITAMINS
Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6).

erykah1310
September 11th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Either way if it is so little that its barely noticable why bother putting it in there?? Thats what I asked them.
Apparently ( after doing a bit of research on it) they claim "zee mays" is the corn silk, not the same as the kernel itself.... regardless, I find it deciptful that they would sneak it in there with the latin name, to me its too much like trying to hide something....
No matter the petfood company.... they are all in it for the almighty dollar and are all just as sneaky.
:mad:

erykah1310
September 11th, 2007, 05:26 PM
so is not a major ingredient so unless you have a hyper-sensitive dog it should not be an issue.

Thing is... what if you have a hyper sensitive dog? And trusted Champions claims?
Either way, they are adding things to a great formula to IMO lessen the quality of it.
Just like Solid Gold did.

rainbow
September 11th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I must admit I never noticed it as it's listed so far down the list of ingredients on the bag. :o I haven't researched zea mays and am curious to know why they would add "corn silk" as an ingredient. :confused:

Tommysmom
September 11th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Is 'corn silk' really a grain, though? I guess I can see them not wanting to say the actual word 'corn' simply because people would assume that it means corn the grain (as we did, here). So if they say it, people would say it's not grain free... but if they use a different name, it seems deceptive... lose/lose for them, really.

I don't think it's really deceptive, as it is listed... not like when companies change things and don't bother to tell you until the old bags are used up. I guess I can't say if they've lessened it by adding it, since I don't know what corn silk is good for:shrug:, but if your dog is super sensitive to corn then maybe they would react to it, eh? Or would they only react to the kernel?

Oh well... it's Canadian, Tommy loves it, I'm still happy:shrug:.

want4rain
September 11th, 2007, 05:43 PM
doh!

http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/corn-silk.cfm

gotta love google!!

-ashley

rainbow
September 11th, 2007, 05:56 PM
doh!

http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/corn-silk.cfm

gotta love google!!

-ashley

I just found that too. Thanks for posting. :thumbs up

clm
September 12th, 2007, 11:16 AM
botanical.com also list zea mays as indian corn, part used there is the seeds, not the silk, it's listed there as the botanical name for both. I think if orijen has got corn silk, that's what it should say, if it has indian corn then that's what it should say.

Cindy

budboybudboy77
September 12th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hi I have some Orijen for sale ,bag has been opened but not much taken out it is there large bag.
I can't use it on my Bud it is way to hard on his liver.

thks

Love4himies
September 12th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Corn silk is suppose to act like a diuretic and help with blood sugar levels. I would be concerned whether the silk has the same chemical ingredient that leads to allergies, that the actual seed does.

Is a peanut shell as dangerous as the peanut itself to somebody who has allergies?

People should be informed of ingredients by the common name to allow the consumer to make the best choices. If Champion foods does not want consumers know it has corn in it and the ingredient is not a major one why include it????

want4rain
September 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Hunter or Shadow have a suspected corn allergy. or rather a grain allergy?? not sure. well i chopped some corn silk into their food, not a lot, maybe if you smashed some into a 1/8ts?? and put it in each cats food last night. Hunter and Shadow barfed up only that part of their food. the rest stayed down but this morning, hours after i fed them, it came back up.

-ashley

growler~GateKeeper
September 12th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Hi I have some Orijen for sale ,bag has been opened but not much taken out it is there large bag.

Budboy - return it to the store with the receipt you bought it from they should give you your money back even if the bag is open, or you could donate it to a shelter :)

Corn silk is suppose to act like a diuretic and help with blood sugar levels. I would be concerned whether the silk has the same chemical ingredient that leads to allergies, that the actual seed does.

Is a peanut shell as dangerous as the peanut itself to somebody who has allergies?

People should be informed of ingredients by the common name to allow the consumer to make the best choices. If Champion foods does not want consumers know it has corn in it and the ingredient is not a major one why include it????

YES peanut shells are just as dangerous for those w/peanut allergies (boy next door to my parents is deathly allergic to anything that has come in contact with peanuts - even touching a knife used in peanut butter if not properly washed) so I would assume the same for corn & zea mays for those w/allergies to corn :shrug:

rainbow
September 12th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Has anyone had any luck getting an answer from Champion Pet Foods? They've always been so good about answering before but they're not replying to my emails. :frustrated:

luvntzus
September 13th, 2007, 02:25 AM
For what it's worth I've always had slow responses from them. I think one time it was 2 months! :eek: When I got the reply I had completely forgotten about writing to them.

Lukka'sma
September 13th, 2007, 06:30 AM
No answer from them yet here either rainbow

clm
September 13th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Not answering me either.

Cindy

Love4himies
September 13th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I e-mailed and asked about possible future production of canned cat food and no answer from them yet.

erykah1310
September 13th, 2007, 11:52 AM
No answer here either, however, when I emailed asking about sodium content for Bailey's special needs they replied within 24 hours?!?!?!:rolleyes:

Ford Girl
September 13th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I just looked online, I didn't see it in the 6 fish formula, but then again, I've had a VERY long day :eek: ...is it in that one too, or the regular formula only?

I am about to buy a new bag, have about 4 days left of the LB Puppy, buying adult this time, might try the fish formula, and see if she likes it. I might see if there are smaple bags....have you seen those out there? I am still buying sample bags for Pubert, not sure why??? :cool:

budboybudboy77
September 13th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Hi I don't have receipt anymore for food, I'll try to talk to the owner see what he can do.

Champion foods ,I have e-mailed them 2-3 times and called once.
I got replies back from all.

I talked to a rep named Mike.
Hope this helps

Tommysmom
September 14th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Any answers yet?

I'm curious, but really... not concerned. This is what I get with Orijen... no coaxing, no games, just this...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/april_bride2006/100_1813.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f178/april_bride2006/100_1816.jpg

They could put grasshoppers in it for all I care, it's better than most foods out there and he's eating it! (The really great poops are a plus, too:D).

Lukka'sma
September 15th, 2007, 10:36 AM
They could put grasshoppers in it for all I care,

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u277/Redeemed_01/sFun_rofl.gif

The firm poops are amazing aren't they. I was beginning to wonder if Lukka would ever have a poop that I could pick up with a bag and not just smear
on the ground. Glad to see Tommy is eating! He is such a cute little dickens:laughing:

Tommysmom
September 15th, 2007, 01:08 PM
LOL, I hear you on the poops! I used to bring back little poop bags filled with more grass than anything else on our walks:laughing:. I hate just leaving my dog's poop on public property, but I was beginning to think people would wonder if I was stealing their sod:laughing:.

rainbow
September 15th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Awww.....Tommy pics. :lovestruck:

I'm also not concerned about the zea mays but I do wish they would acknowledge someones email with clarification. :frustrated:

rainbow
September 15th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I just looked online, I didn't see it in the 6 fish formula, but then again, I've had a VERY long day :eek: ...is it in that one too, or the regular formula only?

Yes, it's in the 6 Fish formula too....

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/ORIJEN6FishIngredients.aspx

SuperWanda
September 16th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks for posting about the zea mays!

I've been feeding Orijen since it first came out. I'd also be interested to find out what form of corn it is and whether it promotes allergies like the grain form.

I checked the website and they don't seem to have a description of it under botanicals like all the other ones - you'd think if they updated the bags they would have at least updated the website with a description.

clm
September 17th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I still haven't heard back from them yet. I'd really just like to know if it's corn silk or indian corn thats in it. I hate the thought of changing foods when the puppies are doing so well on it but I want a totally grain free food.

Cindy

erykah1310
September 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I got my reply today.
Fairly explanational and I am pleased with the reply all in all. However my mind is not 100% at ease that a dog with severe allergies wont be affected. I just hope if they are the owners are well informed.
Here's what was replyed to me.
Hello Erika, and thanks very much for your letter.

Our mission here at Champion Petfoods is to produce WORLD-CLASS PET FOODS FROM FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS. This mission guides our product and formulation developments. We are of course NOT hiding corn in our ingredient list – but given all of what has happened this year, we can very well understand your mistrust of the pet food industry.

In fact you are correct in assuming the ingredient is corn silk, which is not made from grain but is rather an extract produced from the filaments on the inside of the corn leaf from female plants.

That said, please do not associate Corn Silk with corn grain – corn silk is a very expensive botanical nutrient that does not include any grain or starch and is NOT a source of protein. Consider that while the botanical is very expensive, corn of course is not. The equivalent value of corn (for the same inclusion rate as corn silk) would be pennies and would neither improve the formula nor reduce the cost (which I think you might suspect us of trying to do). In short, this is not a strategy the ORIJEN would entertain.

Erika, please see the information on corn silk below which explains why this botanical ingredient is included in ORIJEN formulations (urinary health) and please write again if I can provide any further information.

Kind Regards,

Peter

www.championpetfoods.com

WHAT IS CORNSILK?

Cornsilk (Zea mays) is an herbal remedy made from stigmas, the yellowish thread-like strands found inside the husks of corn. The stigmas are found on the female flower of corn, a grain that is also known as maize and is a member of the grass family

Corn silk is used to treat urinary tract infections and kidney stones and is regarded as a soothing diuretic and useful for irritation in the urinary system. This gives it added importance, since today, physicians are more concerned about the increased use of antibiotics to treat infections, especially in children. Furthermore, corn silk is used in combination with other herbs to treat conditions such as cystitis (inflammation of the urinary bladder) and urethritis (inflammation of the urethra).

Since corn silk is used as a kidney remedy and in the regulation of fluids, the herb is believed to be helpful in treating high blood pressure and water retention. Corn-silk is also used as a remedy for edema (the abnormal accumulation of fluids). Corn silk is used to treat urinary conditions in countries including the United Sates, China, Haiti, Turkey, and Trinidad. Furthermore, in China, corn silk as a component in an herbal formula is used to treat diabetes.

Corn silk is not a protein.

rainbow
September 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I got my reply from Peter this morning too....

Hello Marie and thanks very much for your enquiry.

Our mission at Champion Petfoods is to produce WORLD-CLASS PET FOODS FROM FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS. This mission guides all our product and formulation developments as well as ingredient choices.

The Zea Mays you see in the ORIJEN ingredient list is corn silk which is not made from grain but is an extract produced from the filaments inside of the leaf from female corn plants.

Please do not associate Corn Silk with corn grain – corn silk is an expensive botanical that does NOT include grain or starch and is NOT a source of protein. Marie, please review the information on corn silk below which explains why we have included this exceptional botanical in our ORIJEN formulations (urinary health), and please write again if I can provide any further information on this or any other subject.

(Then compare ORIJEN to other “grain-free” pet foods which are made with flax J)

Kind Regards,

Peter

www.championpetfoods.com

WHAT IS CORNSILK?

Cornsilk (Zea mays) is an herbal remedy made from stigmas, the yellowish thread-like strands found inside the husks of corn. The stigmas are found on the female flower of corn, a grain that is also known as maize and is a member of the grass family

Corn silk is used to treat urinary tract infections and kidney stones and is regarded as a soothing diuretic and useful for irritation in the urinary system. This gives it added importance, since today, physicians are more concerned about the increased use of antibiotics to treat infections, especially in children. Furthermore, corn silk is used in combination with other herbs to treat conditions such as cystitis (inflammation of the urinary bladder) and urethritis (inflammation of the urethra).

Since corn silk is used as a kidney remedy and in the regulation of fluids, the herb is believed to be helpful in treating high blood pressure and water retention. Corn-silk is also used as a remedy for edema (the abnormal accumulation of fluids). Corn silk is used to treat urinary conditions in countries including the United Sates, China, Haiti, Turkey, and Trinidad. Furthermore, in China, corn silk as a component in an herbal formula is used to treat diabetes.

Corn silk is not a protein.

erykah1310
September 17th, 2007, 06:54 PM
LOL, I guess everyone will get a reply that is little more than a cut and paste from Peter, just different names in the letter.

rainbow
September 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah, at first I thought it was a form letter but they are worded just a tad different. :D

Lukka'sma
September 17th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I got my reply as well, pretty much the same tone as the two I have just read here

coppperbelle
September 17th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Today must have been the day they answer e-mails. Someone on another message board I belong to got the exact same letter today.

growler~GateKeeper
September 18th, 2007, 02:15 AM
At least it was originally written by a real person, heehee did you notice:
the United Sates :laughing:

Purpledomino
September 18th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Hmmm....I have been feeding my bullmastiff Orijen exclusively to rule out possible grain allergies from recurrent ear infections. I wonder now with the inclusion of this ingredient, if it would make a difference to a dog with grain allergies. I wish he was clearer about this, or maybe he doesn't know? Perhaps it depends on the extent of the allergy, as was mentioned before. I hope I'm not wasting my time feeding it if it did make a difference. So far so good though, he took to the Orijen like a duck to water...no runny poops at all, which is very unusual for him, especially since I changed him over pretty fast. Wait and see I guess. :fingerscr

erykah1310
September 18th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Honestly I wouldnt switch the food if your dog is doing great on it. It is still a good food, but I really wish Orijen would have aknowleged that some people are VERY concerned with corn products, if its "corn silk" why not list it as such?
If you google zee mays you get a listing for corn, it takes a few sites before there is any mention of corn silk. :shrug:

I'm still going to feed it, because I dont trust anyone else really.

clm
September 19th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I got my reply too:laughing: Same as the rest. I've sent back a request asking why they chose to call it zea mays and whether or not it would cause problems for dogs with allergies to corn.

Cindy

rainbow
September 19th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Hmmm....I have been feeding my bullmastiff Orijen exclusively to rule out possible grain allergies from recurrent ear infections. I wonder now with the inclusion of this ingredient, if it would make a difference to a dog with grain allergies. I wish he was clearer about this, or maybe he doesn't know? Perhaps it depends on the extent of the allergy, as was mentioned before. I hope I'm not wasting my time feeding it if it did make a difference. So far so good though, he took to the Orijen like a duck to water...no runny poops at all, which is very unusual for him, especially since I changed him over pretty fast. Wait and see I guess. :fingerscr

Peter said in his reply that zea mays is not made from grain....

The Zea Mays you see in the ORIJEN ingredient list is corn silk which is not made from grain but is an extract produced from the filaments inside of the leaf from female corn plants.

Please do not associate Corn Silk with corn grain – corn silk is an expensive botanical that does NOT include grain or starch and is NOT a source of protein.

rainbow
September 19th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I got my reply too:laughing: Same as the rest. I've sent back a request asking why they chose to call it zea mays and whether or not it would cause problems for dogs with allergies to corn.

Cindy

I don't see why it would cause problems for dogs with corn allergies if it's not made from the grain. :shrug:

erykah1310
September 19th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Thing is though is it exclusively the grain the dogs are allergic to? Or is it the protien in general? I highly doubt that the corn itself has a different protien in it than the silk, its the same plant.

Either way, I wouldnt recommend for everyone to fly off the handle about this, I just got worried for others when I saw the ingredient on the bag. Just keep an eye on your pet and see how things go... all I can suggest.

rainbow
September 19th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I highly doubt that the corn itself has a different protien in it than the silk, its the same plant.

But Peter said corn silk is not a source of protein....

Please do not associate Corn Silk with corn grain – corn silk is an expensive botanical that does NOT include grain or starch and is NOT a source of protein.

My Boys
September 22nd, 2007, 06:03 PM
I don't know much about Orijin my brother friend told me about it she feeds her dog it and says it the best dog food on the market.I want to find the best dog food for my dog even if it cost alot.She put my brothers dogs on orijin and he has two **** zu's. Dipper the oldest one has lost so much weight and his hair that used to be fluffy and soft is know falling out and course.Ella the younger one eat's and eat's it but she still not gaining weight.There nothing medically wrong with them.Know we change there food and know there back to normal.What other good foods are out there let me know.:thumbs up

clm
September 26th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I just got another response back from Peter. He assures me that that dogs allergic to corn will not be allergic to corn silk in the product.
He also says that they source all of their botanicals from Canada, the US or Europe, but he's going to get confirmation today on where the actual corn silk is sourced.
He also says that they are going to change the ingredient list to say corn silk instead of zea mays.

Cindy

rainbow
September 26th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Glad to hear it. :thumbs up

Purpledomino
September 27th, 2007, 09:57 AM
:D That's good to know, thankyou!

Dog Dancer
September 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM
You know, it probably won't be an issue for most dogs. But the fact that Peter says it doesn't have protein doesn't make me feel better just because he said it. My vet once told me to use a certain brand of dog food that had poultry fat in it. My dog is allergic to poultry. He said the fat doesn't have protein in it so dogs don't react. HA!! We have to avoid poultry fat also, and anything that just lists animal fat in case it's poultry. So it's important if your dog has corn allergies to be VERY careful if/when you decide to try this food. Just a heads up. Caution!! Very good that they will be addressing this though.

rainbow
September 28th, 2007, 01:52 AM
Those are two completely different allergies. I really don't think dogs would have an allergy to corn silk and I really wish Peter and Champion Foods would leave the ingredient listed as zea mays. :o

My vet once told me to use a certain brand of dog food that had poultry fat in it.

:eek: Most vets know squat about dog food ingredients. Did you ask your vet if he/she could tell you "what" the origin of the poultry fat was? .....i.e....chicken, duck, turkey, pigeon, crow, etc? And, the same goes for animal fat.

growler~GateKeeper
October 3rd, 2007, 01:48 AM
Found this in my research for CRF:

from http://www.holisticat.com/crf.html#herbs

Cornsilk: This herb is very soothing to the urinary tract so can be given on a regular basis if needed. It is also a good herb for incontinence, which some CRF cats suffer from.

Tommysmom
October 3rd, 2007, 07:20 AM
You know, it probably won't be an issue for most dogs. But the fact that Peter says it doesn't have protein doesn't make me feel better just because he said it. My vet once told me to use a certain brand of dog food that had poultry fat in it. My dog is allergic to poultry. He said the fat doesn't have protein in it so dogs don't react. HA!! We have to avoid poultry fat also, and anything that just lists animal fat in case it's poultry. So it's important if your dog has corn allergies to be VERY careful if/when you decide to try this food. Just a heads up. Caution!! Very good that they will be addressing this though.

Allergies and sensitivities can be funny things. Most people think that a dog allergic to chicken won't necessarily be allergic to chicken fat because they process protein and fat differently. My dog is allergic to both, though - although he can eat egg. Separate allergies, maybe? Tommy is allergic to corn though, we have now narrowed that down and confirmed it... but he has no problem whatsoever with this food. I'm sure that doesn't mean that no dog will have problems with the corn silk, but at least for me it settles the question. Whether it's because it's not a protein or it's a different part of the plant or whatever it is, Tommy shows no sensitivity to this food at all but has a reaction to anything with actual corn/corn starch etc.

Freyja
October 14th, 2007, 04:41 PM
On a personal note. I have used and recommend corn silk for sufferers of UTIs (urinary tract infections). It is wonderful for soothing that burn....

BTW I am a midwife.

Cornsilk has detoxifying, relaxing and diuretic activity. Cornsilk is used to treat infections of the urinary and genital system, such as cystitis, prostatitis and urethritis. Cornsilk helps to reduce frequent urination caused by irritation of the bladder and is used to treat bed wetting problems.

In China, cornsilk is traditionally used to treat oedema and jaundice. Studies indicate that cornsilk can reduces blood clotting time and reduce high blood pressure.
www.phytochemicals.info