Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heading back again!

Byrd
September 7th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Five more weeks and I'm off to Egypt... again! :thumbs up

This time will be different though, this time I'm getting married! I'm so nervous, geez I just hope everything goes right and everything gets completed within the two weeks. There is a lot of paperwork, a lot of signing, going back and fourth, etc, etc.

But, after the wedding certificates are signed we are heading to Alexandria, haven't been there yet. That is going to be soooo cool. Swimming in the Mediteranian (would be great if I knew how to spell it).

Time to start getting excited and counting down! :goodvibes:

Tommysmom
September 7th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Congratulations!! How exciting!! Good luck, I'm sure your special day will be absolutely wonderful.

Are you sponsoring your husband here after that? I've just gone through that with my husband - he's from England, we've just finished going through the whole immigration process:wall: . Hopefully you guys don't have to go through all that!

You'll have to take tons and tons of pics... a wedding in Egypt, how absolutely romantic!

poodletalk
September 7th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Congratulations Byrd!

What does your wedding dress look like?

mummummum
September 7th, 2007, 07:06 PM
OOooo OOoo yes ~ tell us all about it ! Enquiring minds want to know !What will your ceremony be like ? What will you wear? Too bad Willow couldn't be your ring bearer! Will you have a ceremony in Canada as well?

And you know every single person here is gonna ask for pix, pix and MORE pix !!!!!!!!

Byrd
September 7th, 2007, 07:19 PM
No, I don't have anything to wear yet, I would like to get something there, something traditional.

The ceremony will just be signing papers, nothing special, and we hare having a dinner with family and friends. Once he gets here we are going to have a party.

Yes, I am sponsoring him. I really hope the immigration process is not too hard. :wall: We've been together for nearly 18 months (it will be by the time I'm there) it's been long enough. :yell:

Tommysmom
September 7th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Byrd, the process isn't hard, it can just be frustrating. Don't worry about it, just enjoy your wedding, you can deal with it all afterward!

Please though, if you have any questions or need to vent about it then, don't hesitate to pm me... like I said, we just finished it and my hubby got his final landing papers in June. I'm verrrrrrrrrrrry well versed in the immigration process right now, LOL. Just one teensy piece of advice ahead of time... the more proof you can get about the relationship and the wedding the better off you are. Emails to each other, phone calls, plane tickets, etc etc etc - if you haven't been saving that stuff, start now and it will help later. And pictures! You KNOW we want them here on the board, but immigration wants 'em too. So if you take lots and lots and lots of them, you'll make us all very happy:D .

Congrats again!

Byrd
September 7th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Thank you soooo much!

Did you do the same thing? Get married over there, come back and sponsor, etc? How long did it take, cuz it will take me longer because he's Egypt, no England (the mother land).

LOL I'm a step ahead of you, I have all the text messages, e-mails, MSN conversations, cards, and of course pics of us together, me with his family, etc. All 18 months worth!

Lukka'sma
September 7th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Congratulations. I can hardly wait to see all the photo's. I hope all your plans fall into place within the two week time frame you have to work with. It's gonna be a spectacular weddinghttp://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/RbLharLie/woohoo1.gif

mummummum
September 7th, 2007, 07:52 PM
No, I don't have anything to wear yet, I would like to get something there, something traditional.

You know way back in The Dark Ages when I got married I rented my wedding dress ~ and it was GORGEOUS costing far more to purchase than we, the starving students, would have ever been able to afford. Nor did I really want to buy one ~ what the heck do ya do with them after that ONE day. You might look into that! I made my own headpiece and veil (which you are welcomed to borrow for your "something borrowed" ! :lovestruck: ~ I love weddings) but I imagine a rental place would also rent anything a bride needed right down to the shoes!

As that was more than a few decades ago I can't remember the name place but here is one I found on the net:

http://www.bestforbride.com/rental.php

Byrd
September 7th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Oh, and I forgot, I called the CIC and ordered the papers to take with me for him to sign (it says in the instructions to mail them and have the sponsoree mail them back, but no mail enters or exits Egypt without being inspected) then I can submit them as soon as I get back, or maybe even while I'm still there.

I have pics like this from my first trip:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5339/april7party49og4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And this from the second trip. You may be able to tell that my hair grew lots (proof of seperate trips - it's even longer now and I'm getting it cut in a different style before leaving).

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6514/imgp3705eu5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Oh, and of course I was smart and took these.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4384/imgp4002jv9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

breeze
September 7th, 2007, 08:08 PM

The ceremony will just be signing papers, nothing special, and we hare having a dinner with family and friends. Once he gets here we are going to have a party.

It will be special !!! you are getting married. No matter where or when or how it is always be a special day

Byrd
September 7th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Mum, thanks, but I'm not wearing a veil. I'm thinking traditional tunic and pants, like this http://www.primomoda.com/store/images/ST01070008_thumb.png or this http://www.primomoda.com/store/images/PM_Apr05%20032.gif without the scarf and a little more formal.

By "nothing special" I mean that there won't really be anything to take pictures of, til the party.

mummummum
September 7th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Oh not the Princess Bride traditional the other traditional !

I've always liked Salwar Kameez ~ and they come in so many drop-dead gorgeous colours and fabrics. Do they have an equivalent style in Egypt?

I'm sure you will be glowingly beautiful no matter what you wear!

Tommysmom
September 7th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Awww, nice photos! What a cute couple you are:) .

If you've already started saving that stuff, you're miles ahead of a lot of people! Take pictures of the ceremony though, they like that. Good call on the family and sight-seeing pics:thumbs up !

We got married here, but it still took us a longer time than most from England because my husband was working in Africa at the time - in Sudan - so the background checks were crazy. Plus, we met on the internet. Plus, he was working for a company contracted to the UN. So it took us a while, we got married at the end of April, put our papers in at the end of June (takes a while to get official documents in Sudan!!), finally got all his paperwork approved and did the landing this June - so almost exactly one year. We were worried his medical would expire and set it all back again! You're going to be getting it in at a better time though, during the summer so many of the officials are on holidays that processing times slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww to a crawl. It sucks waiting, but it's not that hard to do, it's just a lot of info to fill in and then wait, wait, wait.

Are you using a lawyer? We did, but really... it wasn't necessary at all, I knew more about it by the end of the process than they did, lol. I can point you to a couple of really good websites too, message boards and stuff where you can get some pretty good information if you're uncertain about anything. It's really, really NOT difficult, and then you'll have him here to enjoy for the rest of your lives:lovestruck: .

I'm so excited for you!

Byrd
September 7th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Yes Mum, that's exactly the style I'm thinking! In a lavender colour, which also seems to be traditional for them.

Tommysmom, I've spent the last 18 months doing research, I guess that's why we're a step ahead. No, we're not using a lawyer, I've heard they are not really needed unless you are getting a really nasty hassle. I've read all through the cic website and have posted questions on settlement.org. Pls right here in Oshawa there is counselling service.

The way I see it, we've waited 18 months, what's a little more, and it will be so worth it in the end and make the relationship that much stronger I think, because you've had to work so hard to make it happen.

Byrd
September 7th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Oh, the white one would be perfect!

The second pic is what I had in mind. Do you think it would look okay on me though, I'm only 5' 1" and kinda frumpy, although I've lost weight and am hoping to lose a bunch more before I go.

mummummum
September 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM
It's soooooooooooooo romantic ! I wonder if it's the first wedding on pets.ca?! I can't think of any in the almost 2 years that I have been hanging about (but there again I'm notorious for my poor memory!).

mummummum
September 7th, 2007, 09:14 PM
The second one is YOU Byrd and is absolutley dreamy ~ very romantic. I think it will suit your figure perfectly!

Byrd
September 7th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Hey, cooool, the first pets.ca wedding!!! In a while anyway.

I really, really like the second one, even the colour. I just hope I can find something like that. :fingerscr What I like too is it's not just one of those "wear one day only" things because I could wear it with jeans or something here.

mummummum
September 7th, 2007, 09:30 PM
They are so flowing, comfortable and free-feeling. I love them and wish I could get away with wearing them all the time (not in the winter though ~ too drafty!!)

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding something gorgeous over! You know, to get a sense of what one might look like on you, you could always hit some of the shops in Little India on Gerrard St. East :lightbulb:

badger
September 7th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Alternatively, you can have your outfit made to measure by an Egyptian tailor and it only takes a couple of days. All you have to do is choose the fabric and be measured. And if you find a picture of something you like, they can copy it, no problem.
Salwar kameez look good on everyone. Don't forget the matching shawl.
How exciting, he looks like a really nice guy. Best wishes to both of you.

Byrd
September 7th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Good idea mum, geez maybe I could even find something there.

Badger, thanks, only problem being we don't have a few days, I get there Saturday afternoon, and we're getting married Tuesday. I've e-mailed him the pics above and he can tell me if they have them there.

He is a nice guy, silly too, which is great, I love people who allow themselves to be silly in front of others. :cloud9: Just all around good natured and easygoing.

Cinnabear
September 8th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Congrats. Have fun on your wedding day.:thumbs up

mummummum
September 8th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Good idea mum, geez maybe I could even find something there..

There are loads of places in Brampton and Mississauga if it's easier than coming down into the The Big Smoke. I have two girlfriends (with excellent taste and an eye for a bargain!) who are Pakistani and live in Brampton and Thornhill respectively ~ would you like me to ask them where they shop for their clothes?

You could also PM Onster ~ I seem to recall she is from the Middle East and although she is not a 416'er or 905'er she may have a good idea of where to shop in the GTA.

badger
September 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM
They could still do it, Byrd, I swear, they are magicians. But maybe that's one stressor you don't need: arriving without your wedding outfit. Plus all the female in-laws would probably want to come and 'help' you :yell:

Byrd
September 8th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Well, I sent him the pics and he said that they are too fancy for what we are doing, it's just a dinner with family and friends. So, I'm still going to look for something there, just something simple though.

The female relatives don't speak english, a future sister-in-law does but they live a few hours away so probably wouldn't be coming up in time. :shrug: doesn't matter, whatever happens happens.... no stress.

Frenchy
September 8th, 2007, 08:00 PM
The female relatives don't speak english,

Maybe it's better this way :laughing::sorry:

Congratulations Byrd , I hope all goes well , now you are really sure about this guy ? :rolleyes: You don't have to support him financially when he gets here now do you ?

(sorry , I'm not the romantic type :o and I've heard some stories... just be careful ok ?)

Byrd
September 8th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Ah Frenchy, I've heard it all. This is 18 months of hard thinking. He will definitely get a job first thing when he gets here. No worriesl, K? ;)

My mom alwayssaid to do what she did, marry a man who's parents are thousands of miles away and don't speak english (My father was dutch). LOL I tell her all the time that I'm just following her advice.

TeriM
September 9th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Congrats and best of luck to you both :goodvibes:.

Byrd
September 14th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Four More Weeks!!!!

Byrd
September 14th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I was looking at the Sears website and found these two dresses. I like them both, they are semi-casual, appropriate for Egypt, flowy and summery, I can wear them for our party here, and most importantly they are only $50!!!

Frenchy
September 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I know you didn't ask but .... I like the green one better :thumbs up

Byrd
September 14th, 2007, 08:27 PM
LOL Frenchy, it is why I posted them though. I like the green one too. I'm a little overweight, not skinny like the manequin, so I think that one would be better for camophlage. Best thing to do is try them on I guess.

growler~GateKeeper
September 15th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I like the green one too, nice casual look, like you said flowy sort of Egypt-ish :)

joeysmama
September 15th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Those are both good cuts for normal people. (I don't know too many people who are as thin as the mannequins.) But if you want to be more comfy about hiding a little extra weight the green one is the way to go. That cute littleside seam across the front will definitely be more forgiving than the blue one, which looks a little clingy--even though it's the right style.

I really really LOVED the more traditional ones you posted earlier though. Especially the one in the small box to the right of the two larger pictures. I would jump at any excuse to wear that !! And you're the bride !! That means that you can whatever you want !!!!

Whatever you choose I'm sure you'll look gorgeous and you'll come back and share wedding pictures yes ??????

chico2
September 15th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Byrd,the green one definetly,it's beautiful,I love flowy things and it will disguise a little tummy..
I am amazed at the beautiful materials in traditional tunics and pants,I am sure you can find tons of stores,seeing we have a large Indian population,they wear the same,right..

Byrd
September 15th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Yes, I will share pics.

I like the traditional ones too, but I want a back-up plan incase I can't find anything over there. And, it's not a waste, I can always wear it to the next wedding I'm invited to it I don't wear it to my own. Whatever I wear over there is what I'm wearing over here for my "meet Mohab/reception" party.

I wanna go right now and check them out, but I just had minor surgery (cyst removal) Thursday and have stitches in my back, so I wouldn't feel right trying on dresses.

mummummum
September 15th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Awwwwh... *stomps foot petulantly* I really liked the salwar kameez. :sad:
You could always get something without lots of beading and embroidery...:D

onster
September 15th, 2007, 01:09 PM
congrats Byrd!! I hope it all goes smoothly :)

I think the green dress/ something similar would be perfect for what you will be doing (I believe its just the katb kitab, or signing of the book).

Just as a side note, being Egyptian, the indian/paki outfits, gorgeous as they are, are not traditional egyptian at all. For weddings egyptian brides tend to just wear the white western dress, even in the small villages. Traditional egyptian outfits are Galabiyas and u wouldnt really wear them in a wedding. The simple ones are one in everyday life in the villages and the elaborate ones (very pretty) can be worn as an atendee to a full blown wedding (I have a pic of my gramma in one at my brothers wedding this July).

Anyways, best of luck!

By the way, my brother's wife is not Egyptian either- she is from Malta :).
Here are a few pics...from my parents wedding in egypt 27 years ago (My mom's dress is still a white dress but more covered and modest ) and from my brothers wedding (your normal white dress!). More traditional brides would still where sleeves though, especially if from the villages/more tradional families :)

onster
September 15th, 2007, 01:12 PM
and my gramma is on the far right with a more elaborate style galabya :)

Byrd
September 15th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I think the green dress/ something similar would be perfect for what you will be doing (I believe its just the katb kitab, or signing of the book).

Yup, you got it, just the katb kitab, with a dinner the next day. I think I'm going to go sometime soon and see what's at the mall (when I go pick up my ticket), running out of time here.

chico2
September 15th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Wow Onster,what a beautiful family you have:thumbs up

Byrd
September 15th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Okay, I sent the pics to him, and he likes the green one. Guess I'll have to go see if I like it in person and on me.... that is if they have it.

I have to figure out shoes for it too, not to mention hair... I hate my hair. :rolleyes:

mummummum
September 16th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Every woman hates their hair Byrd ~ it's in the Owner's Guide don'tcha know! :rolleyes: You better hurry on the dress and the shoes though ~ all the fall and winter stuff is out!

Byrd
September 16th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I know, but mine does nothing!!! Nothing!!! I curl it, it's straight in five minutes, I brush it, it's messy in two minutes, it's just crappy! Very fine, and very straight.

I'm going to go shopping either Monday or Wednesday, I have to get a shower gift for Friday as well. I just worry about trying on dresses with stitches in my upper back, it just feels odd.

mummummum
September 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I have exactly the same hair Byrd. When I got married the hairdresser worked marvels by backcombing it then styling into a Victorian up-do. It was AMAZING. Of course it was practically glued in place :rolleyes:(you did NOT want to be there when I combed it out :eek:~ yowee owee). So get thee to a stylist and see what they can do for you. Even a chignon might do ~ simple yet elegant.

If the stitches are bothering you why not put a sterile pad over it and tape it down so the stitches don't "catch" on things.

Byrd
September 16th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I would have to find an Egyptian stylist. I'm getting it cut just before I go, maybe, just maybe it will behave. :pray: :fingerscr

mummummum
September 16th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Just remember we will hunt you down if we don't get LOTS of pix !

Byrd
September 16th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Yes, I know, I know.

I'm really hoping the green one is in stock and does suit me. Funny, I pictured light purple when I was thinking of what to wear. But, I really like the style of that one, I think it will hide the fat, and the best part is... he has a shirt that same colour!!!!

(Sort of the same colour) and that's his niece in the pic.
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/128/take28yf2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Silver shoes with that???

Oh, and I guess I could cover the stitches, I'm not supposed to, but I guess one night won't hurt.

Oh and here's a pic from his brother's wedding, this is what I was going by for trying to figure out what to wear.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9012/take11ud0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

mummummum
September 16th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Yup, I can see you in a pale violet or lavender. But the green dress is very feminine. I too hope they have summer stuff still in stock. I'm expecting "Christmas Street" in t The bay any day now :rolleyes:

Byrd
September 16th, 2007, 09:15 PM
NO!!! No Christmas until after Halloween!!!

Well, if it's not in the store I can always order it from the website and take it back if I don't like it. :shrug:

mummummum
September 16th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Winner's often keeps summer stock well into the fall in their clearance sections.

Byrd
September 16th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Yup, true, if worse comes to worse I will check there.

Byrd
September 17th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Well, I went to the mall tonight. :wall: Nothing!!! I'm going to try ordering that dress online. If I don't like it or it doesn't fit, I can always return it. :shrug:

mummummum
September 18th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Oh drat Byrd! Is there enough time for it to be shipped ? :eek:

Byrd
September 18th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Yup, it will be here Thursday.

mummummum
September 18th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Does that mean you're going to model for us ?? :D

Byrd
September 19th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Yeah, sure, I can take a pic and post it.... if it looks good!

mummummum
September 19th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I'll bet you'll look ~ what's that, that Frenchy says, oh yeah ... reeerrr :D

Have you found shoes yet? Something borrowed, something blue? :laughing:

Byrd
September 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM
:laughing: I've never looked "reeerr"!!

Um, actually a friend of mine thinks she may have some silver shoes that I can borrow. So, the dress will be new, my rings (the ones I wear all the time) will be old, the shoes borrowed, and.... my eyes are blue!!! :rolleyes:

Byrd
September 25th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Picked up the dress tonight, it's sooo nice. I haven't tried it on yet though because I'm all sweaty and gross because we had flyball tonight.

growler~GateKeeper
September 25th, 2007, 10:35 PM
How'd flyball go??

And hurry up & shower so you can try on the dress & post pics already worman!!! :D:D

mummummum
September 25th, 2007, 10:37 PM
*taps fingers impatiently* So have you showered and changed yet? :frustrated:

What about now ? :laughing:

Byrd
September 25th, 2007, 10:38 PM
:laughing: I'll try it on tomorrow night.

Flyball is fine, all my students did great. Willow did great too. We are finally going to start competing soon. Our first competition was supposed to be next month, but it's when I'm away. :rolleyes: So, the one after that then. :thumbs up

mummummum
September 25th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Well *stomps foot* I guess I can wait.

Great to hear that flyball is going well ~ speaking of which you haven't posted any flyballin' Willow pix lately :frustrated:

Make sure someone takes lots of pix at the competition !!!

joeysmama
September 26th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Pictures !!! Pictures !!! And what do you mean you've never looked "reeer" I'll bet your husband to be thinks you look plenty "reeer".

In fact, for the something new and something blue you could always get some fancy blue underthings.;) The upside to not wearing the traditional white dress. You can wear any color underneath.

I wish I'd wron something more simple at my wedding. It was the same summer as Charles and Diana. Her gown was only a smitch fussier than mine. I looked like a shrine.:yuck:

Byrd
September 26th, 2007, 05:21 PM
WOW You guys are demanding!

I don't have any pics of Willow playing Flyball. However, if you go to www.superdogcentral.com there are tonnes of pics of her on the training page, including (last I checked) the main training page.

Anyhoo, the dress fits!

Here ya go:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9159/imgp4610hv5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

The back is high enough to hide my fresh scar.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5971/imgp4613wt7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And the profile, hate the belly, it's gotta go! :wall:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4976/imgp4614vl6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Happy? :p

Now what to do with the hair. :shrug:

jiorji
September 26th, 2007, 05:33 PM
awww that DOES look pretty. REAAAAALLLY REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLY suits you.

i say you do some classy braid up style with a flower :D a flower in your hair would so suit you. YOu look so cute!:cloud9:

mummummum
September 26th, 2007, 11:05 PM
reeeeer :thumbs up

Something romantic would be my choice for a hairstyle 29297

Easy to achieve ~ just need a curling iron, alot of pins and a boatload hairspray for that poker straight hair of yours!

badger
September 27th, 2007, 06:15 AM
*taps fingers impatiently* So have you showered and changed yet?

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Very pretty. I think you need some kind of matching wrap that could be used to cover your head if the need arises. The length is perfect.

joeysmama
September 27th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Oh the dress is so pretty and it looks even nicer on you than it did in the picture. You have exactly the same hair as me. Well at least it looks that way in the picture. I used to have to wear it short, in a bob, or it had no body. Then I found a new stylist who told me to stop wearing the bob--it didn't suit me.

She made me grow it shoulder length and she cut a bunch of layers into it. I bet you could do that too. I use a spray gel when it's half dry and then after it's dry I use a round brush to flip a few pieces and then scrunch it with my hands. I just use a little paste on my hands first and I get a lot of body. So if you want to wear your hair down you could do that. And maybe some pretty flowers in your hair?

And your belly is fine. Just get a really really good bra. LOL !! The more the girls are at attention the farther away from the tummy the clothing falls.

Trust me--I know all the tricks !;)

I love hearing about the wedding plans. Can't wait to see pictures of the actual event !!!

Byrd
September 27th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Ah, so you can tell by the pics that the hair is bone straight and baby fine? I do have layers, and am getting a trim about a week before I go, with a few more layers, shorter in front so if I put it back some can still be down.

I think I need a girdle rather then a better bra, I wear firm support as it is, the girls aren't exactly tiny and I hate floppies. :rolleyes:

growler~GateKeeper
September 28th, 2007, 02:56 AM
reeeeer :thumbs up

I second that - it looks great Byrd, the colour's great on you too :thumbs up

joeysmama
September 28th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I hate floppies

Too funny. :laughing: I hate them too. Sometimes I want to tell women "those would look better if you got them off your tummy."

I think they have these one piece body huggers now that give you a smooth line from chest to thigh. My boss told me a trick. She's an actress and she has all these great little beauty tricks. She pins her pantyhose to her bra in the back for a smooth line. I can't figure out how to do and be able to go to the bathroom. LOL ! She says it's easy to unpin but I've never tried it.

Anyway, I don't really think you need a girdle. It looks beautiful the way it is.

Are you going to carry a bouquet or would that be too formal for the service you're having? What kind of flowers will you carry if you do decide to carry them ?

Lukka'sma
September 28th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I love the dress Byrd. It just looks fantastic on you, or you look fantastic in it, either way.
Like your idea of putting your hair back but leaving some loose and flowing. I always wonder why brides want their hair pulled so tightly back and they don't even look like themselves in the pictures. I have always been a fan of longer hair at weddings. You are gonna look da bomb!

Byrd
September 29th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks!!!

Nope, no flowers, we are just signing papers and having a dinner for family and friends. If I were to carry flowers, I think it would be a mix, I like lots of colour, never was a fan of the "white wedding".

So a couple (three to be exact) of us from work decided to go up to one of the girl's cottage for the night so we could have a few drinks and not have to worry about driving. I had to go late because of work and dropping Willow of, etc. When I got there there were a few others from work there as well. They had decided to through me a bachelorette party! It was a blast, we ate, drank, danced, sang, had a bonfire, etc. They told me I was getting drunk and since I don't drink I figured that wouldn't be a problem, LOL I drank six Corona, a vodka slushi thing, and a few jello shooter and was still fine and dandy! I tried really hard, but just couldn't get wasted!!! HAHA

Oh, and they gave me a nice "wedding night" kit. LOL

I can't believe it's only two weeks away!!!

mummummum
September 30th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Awww ~ wasn't that sweet of them ! How was you head the next morning ?Oo-la-la ! Did you try on the silver shoes yet to make sure they go with your dress? I also think a sheer wrap ~ maybe in one of the colours of the flowers in the print of the dress ~ would look lovely with the added benefit of visually squaring up your shoulders and narrowing the hips. And please not another word about a girdle ~ voluptuous is envied by many of us boy-shaped gals!

Byrd
September 30th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Boy shaped I am definitely not! :laughing:

My head was fine the next day. I didn't even get a buzz.

otter
September 30th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I agree, skip the girdle but, do look into those "body shaper" things, kinda like a body suit only longer and tighter. They are really flattering and will make your dress feel dreamy. They smooth out everything and I find them really nice and more comfortable than bra, undies, hose, etc. - you get it all in one shot. Do absolutely make sure you only consider something that is mostly COTTON - else you will be VERY SWEATY. Something that breaths will be very important. OK that was all a bit more info than you might have needed....

One last thing.. go for the ones that have longer legs (like shorts), very nice for avoiding stickiness when it's hot:o

Byrd
September 30th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks. I was joking about the girdle though, as much as I hate my belly, he knows it's there so it's not like I have to look perfect. I'm losing weight too, so hopefully won't be soooo voluptuous in the near future.

growler~GateKeeper
September 30th, 2007, 10:13 PM
As long as you are healthy, are exercising properly, you accept you for you & he loves you for who you are, the rest doesn't matter ;)

Byrd
October 1st, 2007, 06:12 PM
:thumbs up

Byrd
October 1st, 2007, 06:54 PM
Another question, what colour shoes does everyone think would go well with that dress? I'm thinking beige.

joeysmama
October 1st, 2007, 08:58 PM
Yes definitely beige !! The light, creamy beige. And high and strappy if you're comfortable with that. It's such a nice feminine dress it would look great with a sexy shoe. Nothing with a thick heel. And if you don't like heels and want to go with a low heel then I would get the kind that are slip on mules--open in the back with a pointy toe. Stay with the flowy feminine look you've got going with the dress.

Thanks sor sahring all of the wedding details with us. It's so fun !!

Byrd
October 1st, 2007, 10:00 PM
Consider yourselves all my planners/consultants.

I was thinking strappy, narrow heel (not too narrow though cuz I might fall on those Cairo streets). Now I just have to find them... running out of time.

onster
October 3rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Just wanted to say that that dress looks great on u and is just perfect for the occassion. As for your hair, egyptians love hair like that! It's special to us since we mostly have curly hair/ hair that isnt that bone straight. Straightening is big business in the salons there. So, even if despite your best efforts it stays flat, dont u worry- lessa hateb'i aHla Aroosa wi minawara I'm sure (you will still be the prettiest bride, lighting up the room).

Please post pics when you get back, and have some yummy egyptian food food & sweets for me! I'm so missing it!

Byrd
October 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks Onster.

I'm getting a trim/cut on Saturday, if it works out okay I may just leave it down.

I plan on eating lots of yummies, it is Eid after all. My first stop will be the yummy Egyptian pizza (fiteer), bamya, salata khadra, oh and koshari for sure, and the cookies and cakes, fresh juices, ooohhhh can't wait, love the food! I can't have tahini though, it goes straight through for some reason.

Ah, so how many of you are confused now?

onster
October 3rd, 2007, 09:04 PM
eid yummies! mmmmm....hehehe

I just had bamya yesterday, my mom made it for iftar :D yum. Oh and baklava for desert :D You know u can find a lot of stuff here in specialty places, we get fiteer (ok so its not exactly the same), basterma (pastrami), gibna roomi (cheese that kinda tastes like parmesan) and u can always get okra and make dishes like bamya yourself. I'm just starting to learn from my mom.

i miss * as all the pets.ca members squirm* pigeon! If ure not squirmy about that stuff, u should try it out in khan el khalili, there's a well known place there I went to last summer. Good stuff. OOh oooh and chicken tikka's bread. and Mangos!! glorious mangos!!

hahaha...onster shouldn't post in ramadan. anyways sorry for hijacking your thread once again!

Byrd
October 3rd, 2007, 09:14 PM
At least it's dark and you can eat now.

I had stuffed pigeon in Aswan. It was good. Supposedly it's a wedding meal, perhaps we should do that for the wedding. LOL I want to try camel, sorry guys, but I'm a carnivor.

Where does your mom live? Maybe I can start learning too. I tried making koshari, but it just wasn't the same. There is a place in Tahir Square where I had koshari for the first time, it was incredible!!!!

mummummum
October 3rd, 2007, 09:21 PM
Another question, what colour shoes does everyone think would go well with that dress? I'm thinking beige.

I would choose the main colour of the print on the dress. Now of course that I've started posting I realize I could have gone back and looked at the pic *insert Doh! Smilie here*.:rolleyes: Whatever you do, BRING THE DRESS WITH YOU when you go shoe-shopping!!

onster
October 3rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
ya, I can eat now but I had a night lab so all I had was some heated up frozen pizza. Plus after youve been fasting all day by the time the sun sets and u think u can literally eat a whole camel u end up really full and ready for a nap after just a little food.

I live with my mom, in KW (Kitchener/ Waterloo) and Ive got to say my mom makes the BEST egyptian food around. Honestly, my canadian friends beg to be invited over for dinner! hahaha, there's even an egyptian eatery in town everyone raves about, but when they eat at my place all of them can never go back there again! *yuck*

If there's any specific recipes u like let me know and Ill ask my mom. She's a housewife and cooking is her passion/hobby, so I'm sure she'd know. My sister in law and her mom got lots of lessions over the summer :). I'm sure u can learn from ure future mother in law too, if u have time there.

and camel...now thats adventurous!!! Ive never actually heard of anyone eating it, aside from the bedouins I guess. Never tried it myself....but, hey...its meat. Fellow carnivore right here!!

Byrd
October 3rd, 2007, 09:35 PM
K/W is not too far away, it's only 1 1/2 hours or so!!!

My future MIL doesn't speak english, I've told him to learn so that he can cook when he gets here.

According to him camel is a delicasy over there. It wasn't on any menus, but they can get it from the market.

MUM I think I'm just going to go with beige, I don't want to get a pair of shoes that can only go with one dress. :shrug: Call me frugal.

onster
October 3rd, 2007, 09:53 PM
if i get to watch willow, you can have fun with my mom in the kitchen alll u want! hehehe :)

and i wouldnt know really about camel and all...u see im more of a tourist who happens to understand the culture and know the language. SO things like medan il tahreer mean nothing to me...I know its a place but thats about it.

anyhooo, im tooo excited for u now!!! when are u going???

By the way, Im buying this program for my SIL to learn egyptian arabic, the pimsleur approach or something like that...ill tell u how it goes for her, maybe u can listen to some audio tapes while on pets.ca :D

Byrd
October 4th, 2007, 10:10 PM
If you have a yard and a ball, frisbee, or tug toy, Willow would be more than happy to play.

Tahir Square is in downtown Cairo, near the museum.

I leave next Friday!!! The 12th, one more week!!!! :eek: K, I can get nervous now.

I soooo want to learn Egyptian so that I can talk to my in laws! I have a phrasebook and he's helping, but it's a tough language.

I went shopping for shoes and couldn't find anything, it's really hard to find anything but black and brown this time of year. :wall: I'm gonna go searching more on Saturday when I go to get my haircut, and I've e-mailed a bunch of friends for loaners. I got a necklace to go with the dress, and my ring's in for repair (I must have hit it on something and the main stone has shifted East. They are going to try to lower the stone a bit as well.). I found an awesome wedding band there, I have my Egypt band but am getting another ring when he gets here (it's family tradition to wear three :shrug: we all do). This one is round like my band, but has diamonds within it, not in a straight line, but in a zigzag, one here, one there kinda thing. It's pretty and would fit in well, but it's around $500! :eek: It's like the one in the pic, only white gold. My current wedding band is a plain comfort band.

onster
October 8th, 2007, 09:40 PM
wow! the 12th!! eeeeeeek...so exciting!!

As for the arabic, it'll come...bit by bit...or they can learn english :D.

Oddly enough my sis in law had to get her ring repaired here for pretty much the same reason...sigh, shoddy workmanship i guess, but rings there are certaintly unique.

I LOVE that band u put a pic of!!! so cool...and hey, 3 rings..the more the merrier:)

Byrd
October 8th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Yeah, it's coming fast!!!!

The only thing with that ring is the whopping $500 price tag! :eek:

Byrd
October 10th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Oooohhh man I love my horoscope today:

Aquarius: A wave of good luck is about to come your way. Difficult situations will get significantly easier, and things will all fall into place. Just in time.

:D

Did I tell ya'll that I got pre-approved for a mortgage? I can't afford much, but I got just enough for what I can afford!!! :goodvibes: Remember, even though I'm getting married in, like, six days I'm still gonna be on my own for a year or so. I'm tired of living in a basement and I would love a backyard for Willow.

mummummum
October 10th, 2007, 09:40 PM
That's wonderful news about the pre-approval Byrd and your horoscope is certainly encouraging!

Yikes ~ I don't think you have enough time left to get nervous!

Byrd
October 10th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I'm doing well actually. I probably won't get nervous until I start driving to the airport.

Byrd
October 11th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Well, tomorrow's the day!!!

I'm a little upset right now though. One of the lady's I work with was asking me tonnes of questions and one of them was 'so why him?' Seriously, do you ask somebody that question or is it just because of the situation? It pissed me off because they wouldn't take 'cuz he's the one' as an answer, they wanted a detailed explaination!!! :frustrated: I don't get it. :shrug:

Willow knows something's up, she's all depressed. :sad:

Lukka'sma
October 11th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I don't think that is a very good question either Bryd. There are so many reasons that we pick one person over another and not all of those reasons are even apparent to us. I do think that these people were looking more at the religion and race issues rather than chemistry and that sucks. Try not to focus on those negative comments.
You are going to have a wonderful trip with the wedding of your dreams and I wish you all the best in life with your husband to be

joeysmama
October 11th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Tha question was just plain rude and doesn't deserve an answer. The only time you ask a bride something like that is if you're happy for her and want to give her a chance to tell you why she loves her honey so much ! I don't get the impression that this woman was asking in that kind of a spirit was she?

Ahh--forget about people like that.

Go have a beautiful wedding and long happy marriage. May God richly bless your union and give you all good things as you join your lives together !!!:lovestruck:

PS--have a safe trip and remember we'll be looking for wedding pictures the minute you get home !

Byrd
October 11th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks guys. You know it was in a negative way. They actually asked me if I was just marrying him because of the situation, like if he was here would I still be marrying him or if I just want the 'challenge' and to prove something by getting him here. I said that I would still love him and marry him if he were here and if he were the same person as I know now. I turned to them and asked them why they married their husbands, one says 'because I love him', so I said 'enough said then' and walked away. :wall:

I will try to post pics from there if I can.

I managed to get all my stuff into one suitcase!!! Learned from past trips I guess. Just worried now if I buy a lot I won't be able to get it all back. LOL :rolleyes:

susieqt
October 11th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Byrd, I have been following your thread for several weeks now and I feel very excited for you!!!! I hope that your have a wonderful trip and everything goes well! This time next week you will be a MARRIED WOMAN! Congrats to you and your fiancee. Don't listen to these other people, follow your heart, all the way to Egypt! How long will you be gone for?

growler~GateKeeper
October 12th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Bryd Have a safe trip (both ways of course), a fantabulous wedding/signing ceremony & a to-die-for wedding night/honeymoon :D

mummummum
October 13th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Oh NO!! Did I miss her? Why did I think it was NEXT weekend ????!!!! Arrrrggghhh....

Then it's to the four directions I throw this good wish Byrd!

Byrd
October 14th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Yup, I'm here, safe and sound.

MUM you didn't miss me, I'm just 9000 km away now! :D

Lukka'sma
October 14th, 2007, 11:40 AM
OMG Byrd.
Does this mean we will get an up to the minute play by play of the wedding festivities:fingerscr
When is the ceremony?

mummummum
October 14th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Yup, I'm here, safe and sound.

MUM you didn't miss me, I'm just 9000 km away now! :D

Wahoo!! When is the big event ?? We expect full disclosure ~ of the SIGNING CEREMONY :eek: *blushes*

Byrd
October 14th, 2007, 12:21 PM
LOL Not minute by minute, just whenever I get to a computer.

We went to the Embassy today to sign the affidavit and they were closed for Eid (they had said that they'd be open) so we have to go tomorrow. We are still hoping for Tuesday for the marriage.

mummummum
October 14th, 2007, 12:25 PM
What !? You can't borrow a crackberry ??? :laughing:

Byrd
October 14th, 2007, 12:50 PM
No, Mum, sorry. :sad:

Byrd
October 16th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Hey all just thought I'd drop by and leave a not that I am now officially a Mrs. Stage one was easy, now we wait a week and go on to stage two!

I heard from the kennel and apparently Willow is being really quiet and sucky. LOL That can't be my dog!!!! Can't wait to prove to her that I didn't abandon her.

krdahmer
October 16th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Aw congrats!:grouphug::D

chico2
October 16th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Aww Byrd that's great,http://bestsmileys.com/wedding/9.gifcongratulations:thumbs up
Hurry home to poor Willow and with your pics.

Byrd
October 16th, 2007, 05:15 PM
There are really no pics yet.

Yeah, poor Willow, she's going to hug me for daaaays!

Lukka'sma
October 16th, 2007, 10:38 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/Kitiara_2007/congratulations.gif
Fantastic news Byrd

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p275/clwhal/CG009m.jpg

mummummum
October 16th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Wahoo Mrs. Byrd and Mr. Byrd http://bestsmileys.com/wedding/9.gif....

Ummm... by "Stage Two" I trust you don't mean the errrrrr *cough* wedding night ? :eek:

growler~GateKeeper
October 16th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Congrats Mrs & Mr Byrd http://bestsmileys.com/wedding/8.gif

Byrd
October 18th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Ummm... by "Stage Two" I trust you don't mean the errrrrr *cough* wedding night ? :eek:

Um...yeah. :o

:laughing: No stage one involved a hell of a lot of running around... to the Canadian Embassy to fill out a declaration, then to get photos (we each needed five), then the next day back to the embassy to pick up and sign the declaration, off to the Ministry of Foreign affairs to get it stamped, then to the passport office to get my passport stamped, then to the marriage office to sign those papers.

Stage two will be picking up the marriage certificates, having them translated, then back to the MOFA to get them stamped, then file them with the embassy and pick them up the next day.

Stage three will be dealing with immigration.

Lots of work, eh?

Thanks everyone!!!! :cloud9:

onster
October 21st, 2007, 09:35 AM
congrats Byrd! Hope all goes well and smoothly :)

Byrd
October 26th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Hey all, I'm heading home in a few hours. Can't wait, I miss Willow and can't wait to see her reaction when she sees me, but I will miss Mohab for sure. We were told though that it should be about 5-8 months for immigration to be complete, which is great news. :highfive:

I will likely have pics up by Sunday. We have some good ones, some funny ones, my husband and I make a great comical team. :cloud9:

Anyway, till Sunday.

Lukka'sma
October 26th, 2007, 03:36 PM
You mean you have to leave hubby there!!!!
Can't he come over while they work on getting his immigration status up to par? Gawd that is terrible.
I know Willow will be so happy to have you home and we are all waiting for pictures of every second you were away.:D

Tommysmom
October 26th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Congratulations, Byrd!

Are you bringing home all the paperwork to send from here? What a huge bundle, eh! The countdown is on now, you'll be checking the immigration website every day (or if you're like me, every 5 minutes, LOL... I was soooooo obsessed with watching just in case there was a change:laughing:). Fingers crossed it will all go very quickly for you:fingerscr:).

mummummum
October 26th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Lots of work, eh?

Well I hope there was at least some of that "swingin' from the chandelier" I hear so much about :laughing:

We look forward to your homecoming. Give Willow lots of love and kisses! And post a ton and a half of pix!!

Byrd
October 27th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Unfortunately he lives in a dictatorship country and can't go anywhere without a visa, they won't give him a visa during the immigration process, or anytime due to me being the one inviting him (we tried to go that route first).

Willow was soooo happy to see mommy!! :laughing: She ran by me at first and one of the girls says "Willow, don't you see your mother?" She turned to look at her and I said "hi" and Willow was all like "holy ****!!! MOMMY!!!" and ran into my arms and literally cried! She's dirty, and stinky, and sound asleep! LOL Oh and she's 'sunburned' her coat's bleached from being outside so much.

Tommysmom the paperwork is not totally complete yet, he's signed it and stuff though. I will be sending it in as soon as he gets the rest of his papers to me. I was going to ask you, did you just send photocopies of the 'proof of relationship' stuff, or did you have to send the originals?

Yes, MUM there was lots of 'swinging', of course. ;)

mummummum
October 27th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Yes, MUM there was lots of 'swinging', of course. ;) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

That's good Byrd, It's important. :D

Byrd
October 27th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Okay, as we speak I am uploading pics to facebook!

Tommysmom
October 27th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I sent copies of virtually everything... I've heard so many stories of them losing stuff, I didn't want to send originals of anything! I was so paranoid, I made two copies of everything - so I had the original stuff for myself, a copy I sent in, and then another copy in case they lost something:laughing:. They ended up sending me everything back though, anyway:laughing:.

Byrd
October 27th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Okay... go here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=64554&l=2a6fb&id=895300034

Thanks TM!!!

Lukka'sma
October 27th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I know Willow must have been over the moon when she spotted you. Did you bring her any gifts from over-seas?

Byrd
October 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah she went pretty freaky! She's still sleeping, she's been out cold pretty much since we got home, she had a busy two weeks, and she's content.

There's really nothing oer there to bring home for a dog.