Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs eating kitty litter... BLECH!

chloe_close
September 7th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I have 3 cats and 2 dogs. I've recently moved and don't have a lot of extra space. In my old place I was able to put the litter boxes where the dogs couldn't get at them but in my new place I don't have that luxury. I can't use a gate because my old kitty wouldn't be able to jump it and if it's high enough for him to crawl under then my littlest dog would be able to go under it as well. I've tried blocking them off a bit but also don't want to make it too hard for the cats to use them in case they decide it's too difficult and start going elsewhere.
Any suggestions?
I'm sure eating cat litter is not good for them as well as the whole disgusting factor. :yuck:

dmc123
September 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM
chloe_close

I have multi dogs and multi cats, and unfortunately my dogs like most love those treats they find in the cats' litter boxes. I too have a small place, so I got a piece of panelling (I would think think/heavy cardboard would work, too) and cut a cat size door in it. That way they can get in and only the dog's head can get in. So if the space you are blocking has enough space to scoot the litter boxes back from this new door - should work.

In the past before my Cody got so old, I had the silly litter boxes on the washer and dryer, but he got so that he couldn't jump up that high. We all have to find whatever works for our critters and our spaces.

Good luck, don't give up.

Diane

mummummum
September 7th, 2007, 07:07 PM
I'm guessing Gracie is about the same size as your biggest cat.

What about picking one room and installing a sensored door with only the cats wearing the "key"? Apparently the cat or dog-sized door opens and closes automatically but only for the animal wearing the "key". http://www.dogdoors.com/cgi/smart.cgi?command=listitems&type=group&group=electronic

chloe_close
September 7th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the replies, unfortunately Gracie is smaller than my smallest cat... she's just 3 lbs... so that idea is out.
I've never heard of sensor doors, I will have to look into that, but if they are expensive at all that will be out as well since all my extra (and not extra cash) is going towards Gracie's ever expanding medical bills.
-Karen

Ford Girl
September 9th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Hi, I'm right there with you on the dog eating litter issue, Dazy liked to snack out if ever she got the chance, we are forever manageing this in our house. Dazy is always penned if we can't keep an eye on her, our litter is in our bathroom, so when she's penned, the bathroom door is open, if she's loose, the door shut, we have to watch for pubert at the bathroom door, but he knocks to get in so he let's us know, we haven't had any accidents, but it's all on me and Darin to keep the door open/closed at all times. We live in a small house too, and dazy never has the run of it if not supervised.

I found correcting Dazy when she does it works well, it's lessened her interest in the litter box alot, she's not allowed in the bathroom except for her bath time, we get loud and shoo her out if she tries, a shaker can was used for the first few months, the second this is when we caught her in the act we would clean out her mouth - gross I know and put her in the porch, closing the door behind us, that's huge punishment for our dog, not allowing her to be with us (for like 3 minutes), she cries and huffs and puffs....then we let her in when she's quiet...for her being removed form us for that short time if huge punishment, after the first time we did it, it was at least a month before she tried again!! Now she just lerks outside the bathroom but won't come in.

The best we can do in our home is manage it. It is digusting. :shrug:

erykah1310
September 9th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Dogs and the kitty nuggets, its a delicacy for them...
I would just try to block it off somehow too, really there is little way to keep a dog from kitty nuggets once they get the "taste" for it :sick:

wdawson
September 9th, 2007, 12:41 PM
my guys try also..:yuck: