Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice Please!

Aughra
September 7th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Hey guys,

So in short i moved to Canada 2 months ago with both my cats. Obviously they weren't to keen on the journey and got a little stressed but in all they seem to have settled in nicely. In order to get them immigrated and allowed in to Canada they had all vaccinations required and attended regular medical exams before they flew.

However two months on and Devi the female seems to have an eye problem. Her left eye and area around it is swollen. The secondary eye lid covers the eye and she rubs it from time to time. There doesn't seem to be any fluid or discharge coming from it and the eye itself doesn't seem marked or cloudy. I'm aware of feline conjunctivitis, herpes and chlamydia in the eye. And although vaccinated against cat flu and all these problems i understand that stress can bring them out. The vet had a look in the eye and didn't find any thing in it but prescribed eye drops. I would just like to know if anyone has any other ideas as to what the issue could be as to be honest the vet seemed pretty clueless and i'm not sure as to what are common eye problems in this country or even how the cat would get it as shes an indoor cat.

Also for an eye exam and some drops what is the usual cost out here? As $150 seems to a newcomer pretty ridiculous.

thanks for ur time

A

krdahmer
September 7th, 2007, 03:18 PM
$150 is ridiculous (but not a uncommon as you'd like to think). A visit fee should cost you from around $40-60, then you add on for tests/ meds. It really depends on where you are. (sorry just saw it was Toronto, that is a very expensive area, maybe some of our posters in that area could recommend a more reasonable vet for you.)

As for the eye I have 6 all indoor cats and have on occassion had them contract eye problems like conjuctivitis, have no idea how, usually together with a URI of some sorts. Another possibility is that she had irritated or scratched the eye and it got infected, or the area directly around the eye, the smallest particle, scratch or puncture could cause infection.

Welcome to Canada and the site! And we'd love to see your kitties if you have pics! :D

Aughra
September 7th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the help, its worrying enough moving ur animals to a new country never mind them falling ill. Ill try the eye drops and see how things go, hopefully ur right and its just a wee scratch that will mend itself quickly.

As for the price...yeah over the top i thought but having no experience of vet costs here i wasn't sure. They charge for just looking at the cat before any procedures are under taken. I have to take her back in two weeks and if she seems fine im wondering whether i should, that'll be another $65 just to 'say oh yeah shes good'.

Also if any one has info on a good vet in the Etobicoke 'Toronto' area please let me know, id like to look around before i settle on one.

mummummum
September 7th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I don't have any personal experience but this fellow comes highly recommended and is far less expensive that other Vets:

Dr. Dave Sohal of the Bloor Kipling Animal Clinic 416-233-6303

FYI: $65 is medium range ~ I live downtown and pay $75 for an office visit with my dog(s).

krdahmer
September 7th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Ya, those are high, but come to think of it mine is around 50-55, just with Fagan I go so often and always for the same thing so she charges just a recheck fee from 20-30.... most should do that if it is just rechecking a problem they have already seen them for. Especially if it is just to say 'ya looks okay'.

Longblades
September 8th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Our Sadie had similar symptoms, along with pussy discharge. Turned out to be a small cyst on the underside of her eyelid. Not a disease at all. With Vet visits and surgery it cost us about $600 around four years ago. We are north of Toronto. We were warned cysts tend to re-develop in the same spot but so far so good. Something to watch for, for you? Maybe it's a cyst but too small to see yet? A thought anyway.

oooh, yuck. Wasn't sure of spelling up there and checked some on-line dictionaries. Pussy is a cat and also refers to pus. Yuck. It's just how you pronounce it.

Aughra
September 8th, 2007, 11:25 PM
:)

A cyst, huh i didn't think of that. Ill keep a look out for anything like that. For now id say shes doing much better. The swelling has gone down from around the eye and the secondary eyelid seems almost back to normal. Its still bothering her and shes squinting still. But fingers crossed shes on the mend. Shes eating and still talking away ( shes very vocal) other than that i would say it seems more of an irritation to her as its not seriously affecting day to day life. Shes also got wise to the eye drops, i only have to pick the bottle up and shes running the other direction. As for the vet bills, looks like ill have to get used to these prices then. It was just a surprise not knowing what to expect here...hey they don't do OHIP for cats do they? :lightbulb:

:cat:

badger
September 9th, 2007, 12:14 AM
You might think about buying pet insurance. If you do a search (see search button above), there's quite a bit of information on the board.

Aughra
September 9th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the tip. :)

krdahmer
September 9th, 2007, 01:23 PM
:)

...hey they don't do OHIP for cats do they? :lightbulb:

:cat:

OMG... Don't I wish!>!>!:rolleyes::laughing: