Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Liver Shunt Vs. Hypoglycemia in Yorkie Puppy?

Farfalla
September 7th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Hello - I am looking to adopt a small yorkie that is in need of a home. He has experienced 2-3 hypoglycemic episodes to this point (he is about to turn 6 months and has not had one recently) occuring when he was stressed. Each time he was OK after an oral administration of sugar water. I am familiar with juvenile hypoglycemia and know it is quite common in toy breeds. I would use regular feeding and nutrical to prevent any future episodes. But, one area that I am not familiar with is liver shunts which I know can be quite common particularly with the small yorkies. So I was wondering if there is anything that distinguishes between one with liver shunts vs. one with hypoglycemia (symptoms,frequency, etc.)?
Thank you for your help in advance

mummummum
September 8th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Bumping this up so it doesn't get lost!

Dr Lee
September 11th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Sometimes liver shunts can cause hypoglycemia so distinguishing them without testing can be difficult. The best test to start to evaluate or rule out a liver shunt is a Bile Acids test. If normal, then a shunt is not present. A note: a bile acids test is NOT part of a normal blood test - it is a specialized test that any veterinarian can perform. Hope that helps. :pawprint: