- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

Liver Shunt Vs. Hypoglycemia in Yorkie Puppy?

September 7th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Hello - I am looking to adopt a small yorkie that is in need of a home. He has experienced 2-3 hypoglycemic episodes to this point (he is about to turn 6 months and has not had one recently) occuring when he was stressed. Each time he was OK after an oral administration of sugar water. I am familiar with juvenile hypoglycemia and know it is quite common in toy breeds. I would use regular feeding and nutrical to prevent any future episodes. But, one area that I am not familiar with is liver shunts which I know can be quite common particularly with the small yorkies. So I was wondering if there is anything that distinguishes between one with liver shunts vs. one with hypoglycemia (symptoms,frequency, etc.)?
Thank you for your help in advance

September 8th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Bumping this up so it doesn't get lost!

Dr Lee
September 11th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Sometimes liver shunts can cause hypoglycemia so distinguishing them without testing can be difficult. The best test to start to evaluate or rule out a liver shunt is a Bile Acids test. If normal, then a shunt is not present. A note: a bile acids test is NOT part of a normal blood test - it is a specialized test that any veterinarian can perform. Hope that helps. :pawprint: