Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tashy hates her new collar?

T&Csmom
September 7th, 2007, 10:12 AM
I got a new collar for Tashy, which she wears only on walks. It's the kind that you have to slip up her front legs and strap around the middle. The reason I got this was because she had a habit of breaking loose from her neck collar. lol, I think it's due to her head being smaller than her neck :p Anyway she has started to detest this collar, and when I bring it over to put it on her she makes a huge fuss; runs, squirms, nips, crawls on the floor, etc, etc,.

I know she feels threatened by the sight of it, is there anything I can do to calm her down?:confused: :confused:

breeze
September 7th, 2007, 10:18 AM
are you sure that she dilikes the collar , or that she want to play??
sounds to me like she wants to play with it..

how about leaving it where she can smell it, and inspect it for a while.
you can also try and intice her with a treat while putting it on her, that might work.bring her into a small area make her sit or lie down depending on what works for you and try putting it on her.
these are some of the ideas I have tried, maybe they will work for you, iventually they get to know a routine and they learn to accept the collar or harness, and that it means going for a walk.

mummummum
September 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM
It sounds like you are describing a harness rather than a collar. While it's true that he may just need to get used to it, I'm also wondering if it is fitted properly. You should be able to slip two fingers betwee your dog and each of the the straps. Some harnesses ~ just the way they are built and your dog is built, rub and chafe. Have you noticed any redness or hairloss around his front legs or chest?

T&Csmom
September 8th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Breeze, I would think they were playful gestures if this wasn't Tashy, you see Tashy has a rather peculiar way of resisting things:D

mummummum - nope it isn't too tight, maybe I should try giving her treats for tolerance and also leave the harness (sorry for the oopsy) around for her to sniff and get used to, and hopefully it will work :pray:

Kit'sGirl
September 8th, 2007, 07:59 AM
I know when we got Kane a harness he fought it for awhile, but we kept using it and eventually he came to grow used to it. Now he even gets hyper when we pull it out because he associates it with walks and he LOVES to take walks.

I'd suggest just keep using it with her, try the treats, leaving it around and eventually she ought to get used to it. Hopefully she'll even come to like it as well.:pawprint: