Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brutal Dog Attack

Terrie
September 7th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Dog's back broken by brutal thieves
Doug Schmidt, Windsor Star
Published: Thursday, September 06, 2007
Windsor police are hunting for a burglar who broke the back of Richard Charuk's best friend.

A distraught Charuk said he returned home from his afternoon factory shift early Thursday morning to discover his two-year-old dog Vicky whimpering next to the water heater in his west-side home and unable to move her legs. Rushing the limp German shepherd/lab mix to an overnight animal hospital, Vicky was diagnosed with a broken back and Charuk had to make the difficult decision to put down his beloved companion.

Charuk said he spent the last 20 minutes of his dog's life comforting her and then held vigil by her body after the severely wounded animal was put to sleep.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font: ****"I just cried, I was like a big baby bawling," a teary and red-eyed Charuk said from his home Thursday afternoon.

It wasn't until after he returned from the vet's to his home in the 2800 block of Melbourne Road that he noticed some missing items and eventually discovered the rear door had been smashed in and his bungalow ransacked. Charuk and Windsor police investigators believe Vicky was attacked after surprising a burglar or burglars sometime during the homeowner's absence between 3 p.m. Thursday and midnight.

"The worst she would have done was lick you to death. They could have locked her in a bedroom," said Charuk.

Given the force he was told would have been required to break his dog's back, Charuk believes the intruder must have left Vicky for dead but that she later revived in time for his homecoming from work.

Among the missing items was a ruby ring from his father and some gold jewelry and coins, including American silver dollars and old coins from Greece.

"I don't know exactly what was taken, but that's not important - I'm just devastated over my animal," said Charuk. He was so upset he took the day off work and is now considering moving from his hometown.

"This city is getting worse and worse," he said.

Police investigators dusted for fingerprints at Charuk's home, near Tecumseh Road West and Huron Church Road. They said Vicky's injuries were most likely caused by blunt force trauma to the back.

Charuk said his garden shed had been broken into a few months ago but nothing was taken. He hadn't received any threats and didn't know anyone who would want to harm him or Vicky. "The neighbours all loved her," he said.

"This is like a bad dream," Charuk said following a sleepless night of mourning.

luckypenny
September 7th, 2007, 09:12 AM
What an tragic story :sad: . I hope the scum responsible for this experiences 'what goes around, comes around.' :mad:

Love4himies
September 7th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Very sad indeed. :cry:

mummummum
September 7th, 2007, 10:47 AM
What a hideous example of greed and cruelty.

That poor man, he must be beside himself with grief.

kagnew
September 7th, 2007, 10:51 AM
That poor man. Just makes me sick. What is wrong with some people???

ancientgirl
September 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM
How horrible for that poor dog to have suffered like that. I need to stop reading things like this.

I hope that thief gets the same back, threefold!

TeriM
September 9th, 2007, 01:19 AM
This is just so horrifying :cry::mad:.