Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My doggie stepped on a rusty nail :(

doggie_luva
May 19th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Hello all!

I'm new to this forum as you can see and would like to just say hi to all. I also wanted to get some comments about my situation, maybe it should be in the ask vet section, I wasn't sure if it should. Anyways, about 5 days ago I was playing fetch with my dog as I always do everyday after work after work. We were by the hill by where I live and she ended up stepping on a 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 rusty nail. It went all the way inside. She was running and all of a sudden I heard her yealp and pulled the nail out :( I took her to the vet the next day, they gave me clavamox if I remember right and said to give her 2 pills daily. I have been doing that along with cleaning her paw with Hydrogen Peroxide daily. The wound seems to be healed the whole way. It foams a tad, due to now being totally healed. My concern is that the crack where the nail penetrated is light brownish. Is this normal? Her paw doesn't look swollen or anything. She eats like usual and is still full of energy like always. I searched the forum and couldn't find a similar incident. I have searched google for pictures of when they say infection gets red and no results. My doggie is a black lab/retriver so her paws are black and I would think it would be hard to tell since her paws are black. I will try to post some pictures of her paw when I get home. Anything else I should be concerned about? Any information will be helpfull to ease my mind. If you guys have pictures of the def. red infection would or could provide me with a link, it would be greatly appreciated. :(

Lucky Rescue
May 19th, 2004, 02:12 PM
If the wound has healed, it's not swollen, hot or red and your dog doesn't limp or lick it or show any sign of pain, I would say it's fine. Scar tissue is sometimes a different colour then the rest of the skin.

For future reference, Hydrogen peroxide is not a good thing to use - it tends to destroy tissue and that "could" be the reason for the appearance of the wound.

doggie_luva
May 19th, 2004, 04:07 PM
TY for the quick response! :) I feel so much better. She does lick it but rarely (seems like only after I clean the wound - peroxide might be the reason why), no limping or swollen. Her paw was a lil' warm last night, but her other paw was the same temp. so I would thinks that's ok. She's a lil' sensitive when I touch her paw but only when I'm almost done cleaning it (again might be due to perox.) but no signs of pain when she walks, runs or I begin to look at it. She's our (gf & I) bundle of joy and I was very concerned. Thanks again for the input and for tip on not using perox. to clean it. I'll post pictures when I get home :)