Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pit bull help

uNiQu3
September 6th, 2007, 02:57 PM
hi guys ,i have a 3 month old red nose pit-bull and I'm having trouble wit the leach...i mean i have a choker on him but when i attache the leach to take him for a walk he freaks out real bad,any1 know what i can do ..

thank you

PS:Sorry if this is in the wrong forums for some reason its the only one i see

Ryanh
September 6th, 2007, 03:16 PM
You really need to see a trainer about that. He should not be fearfull of it so a trainer can help you teach him to not be scared of it.

uNiQu3
September 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
well its not that he is scared its that as soon it starts choking him he screams,but thanks i will check it wit a trainer

Ryanh
September 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM
so he reacts when you yank on the leash? if thats the case I would suggest first to get a pinch collar, it will not make any noise like the chokers do. If that still bothers him then there is issues that a trainer will be able to sort out for you. Good luck

uNiQu3
September 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM
so he reacts when you yank on the leash? if thats the case I would suggest first to get a pinch collar, it will not make any noise like the chokers do. If that still bothers him then there is issues that a trainer will be able to sort out for you. Good luck

yea he reacts when i pull on the chain and it start choking him

chico2
September 6th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Of course he reacts,I would to if I was beeing choked I would get this baby a regular collar and take him for training.:dog:
He looks really cute,by the way,do you have any more pics to show us??
Welcome to the Forum:thumbs up

jiorji
September 6th, 2007, 03:52 PM
you're probably using the choke collar wrong. Or are you using the one with teh spikes??:confused: Something's hurting him

uNiQu3
September 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Of course he reacts,I would to if I was beeing choked I would get this baby a regular collar and take him for training.:dog:
He looks really cute,by the way,do you have any more pics to show us??

i dont actualy pull on it a start walking and as soon as it start choking a bite he freaks out,and i trained my bull terrier and he turner out fine and im doing the same thing wit the pit and yes i will post some more pics of all my dogs if i figure it out :)

uNiQu3
September 6th, 2007, 03:57 PM
you're probably using the choke collar wrong. Or are you using the one with teh spikes??:confused: Something's hurting him

nah regular choker and i dont let it choke him (as soon it get to his neck size i stop pulling)

uNiQu3
September 6th, 2007, 03:59 PM
here....

chico2
September 6th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Scroll down as you click reply,you'll see "attachment"where you can download your pics.
You'll probably have to make them smaller though.

uNiQu3
September 6th, 2007, 04:03 PM
the white one is chico(bull terrier) is 3and the pup is prince

uNiQu3
September 6th, 2007, 04:05 PM
the last one lol..i have 2 more dogs but no pics of them :(

chico2
September 6th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Prince looks adorable,what a sweet face and although Bullterriers are not high on my list for cuteness:laughing: he looks really handsome.:dog:
My Chico,is a black cat:cat:

uNiQu3
September 6th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Prince looks adorable,what a sweet face and although Bullterriers are not high on my list for cuteness:laughing: he looks really handsome.:dog:
My Chico,is a black cat:cat:

LMAO.......

wdawson
September 6th, 2007, 06:04 PM
why use a choke collar,can't you use a halti instead?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751021&cp=2767032.2767127&pg=2&fbx=0&fbn=Taxonomy%7CTraining&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2767127&fbc=1&parentPage=family&keepsr=1

uNiQu3
September 6th, 2007, 06:11 PM
why use a choke collar,can't you use a halti instead?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751021&cp=2767032.2767127&pg=2&fbx=0&fbn=Taxonomy%7CTraining&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2767127&fbc=1&parentPage=family&keepsr=1

yea i will buy a different collar to see

mummummum
September 6th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I understand from people who have tried all of them that a New Trix collar is superior to both the Halti and the Gentle Leader and that there is less risk to causing neck injury with the new Trix. You may also want to consider a harness if his neck is super-sensitive.

He's a handsome boy btw !

uNiQu3
September 6th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I understand from people who have tried all of them that a New Trix collar is superior to both the Halti and the Gentle Leader and that there is less risk to causing neck injury with the new Trix. You may also want to consider a harness if his neck is super-sensitive.

He's a handsome boy btw !

thanks ,and yes the harness is what a trainer told me to use ,choker is only good when he gets 6 months and over less chances of causing neck injury

mummummum
September 6th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Here's a link to New Trix. http://newtrix.ca/docs/shop/trix_store_can.php With the that square Pitbull head and thick neck I would probably want to try one on him rather than buying on-line.

LavenderRott
September 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM

There is NEVER, EVER a reason to put a pinch/force/prong collar on a 3 month old puppy!!

At 3 months (12 weeks) a puppy should be wearing a flat buckle collar. There should be no yanking and no correcting - this is a BABY and should be learning that things like walking on a leash are FUN.

uNiQu3
September 6th, 2007, 07:49 PM
There is NEVER, EVER a reason to put a pinch/force/prong collar on a 3 month old puppy!!

At 3 months (12 weeks) a puppy should be wearing a flat buckle collar. There should be no yanking and no correcting - this is a BABY and should be learning that things like walking on a leash are FUN.

i agree but i dont choke him or nothing as for correcting i do but the easy way so far i got him to sit/stay on comment...hes does not piss or **** in the house no more but still bite stuff every now and them which is normal...o and the reason why i ad a choker on him is because i did that to my other dogs when there were is age and it was fine but then again they were bull terrier massive freaking neck they got

LavenderRott
September 6th, 2007, 08:02 PM
I, personally, don't allow chokers in my house. In an emergency, there is nothing to keep a choker from damaging the trachea and larynx or killing your dog. I have a martingale collar on my pom and a flat web collar on my Belgian. I will never put a constricting collar on my Belgian because the minute it tightens - he shuts down.

Every single dog is different. What worked with great success with my rottie doesn't work with either of the dogs I have now. Not because they are different breeds but because they all have different temperments. My rottie was a bidable dog, willing to do anything and everything asked of her. My pom is a "hard" dog. He has a ton of drive, energy and attitude. My Belgian - a very soft dog - shutting down the minute that things stop being fun, shrinking from loud noises, etc.

Rottielover
September 6th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I have to agree with lavenderott, no way no how would any kind of choke device be on a pup that small. This is a crucial age in a pups life, they must learn yes, but not negatively. Go out and buy a flat buckle for this pup, take him to OB class, learn how to control him properly.
By the way, he is a cutie

uNiQu3
September 6th, 2007, 08:20 PM
well it was the first and last time i put a choker on him i will just get a harness or regular collar

jiorji
September 6th, 2007, 08:23 PM
awwwwwwww how cute. Love the eyes. They're very warm

krdahmer
September 6th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Um ok not a dog person so take this for whatever it is worth.

I hate to see poor puppies on those choker, torture looking devices they sell as collars:sad: .... and personally feel safer when I see big dogs in a harness style get up. Actually on all dogs, so many pull on their collars and choke themselves when they get excited or are just walking.... I hate when I see them start to wheeze and cough it just kills me. The regular collars may be cheaper, but I bet don't last as long as a quality harness.
I have seen some really really cool harnesses for very small to very large dogs at places like petsmart and imagine they would make training easier too.... I mean if my collar choked me to teach me something I think I'd just end up cranky and angry.:shrug:
Something like this seems so much more practical and humane.... (to me a cat owner, who plans to get a dog eventually- hubby really wants one)...
http://www.petacular.com/products/ezy-dog-harness.html

Best of luck training your puppy.... they are both beautiful dogs!:D