Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What would you charge?

Bearsmom
September 6th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Hey all: I've been asked by a neighbour to "Tucker-sit" her Aussie shepherd while she's away and when she's at work (pending Sir Bear allowing said other mutt into his kingdom).

It would entail walking him, feeding, and general playtime from about 8 am to 6:30 pm with the occasional overnight.

What would you charge?

Per day?

ancientgirl
September 6th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I found this on the web. You might want to do a search and see what some places charge then go from there, since you'll be doing this in your home.

Overnight Pet Sitting

Overnight visits are $60 per nite and are from 8PM to 8AM and include a nite walk and a morning walk. Additional visits during the day will be charged at the normal per visit rates.
Base Fees

Base rate is $15 per visit for up to 4 cats or up to 3 dogs.

Hourly rate is $23 per hour and may be applied for multi pet households depending on each situation and will be determined at the initial consultation.

Final quote of fees will be determined at the consultation visit depending on each situation.
Hours of Service

SnowDancer
September 6th, 2007, 01:41 PM
We live in Toronto. Our dog is home boarded when we are away - rate is $45 per 24 hour period and goes down to $40 for multiple nights. I am not certain what she charges for just day care - but I would expect around $30 something. I know that dogs who go to day care daily have a set weekly rate that works out to be less than an occasional day rate. My dog goes to his groomer's salon every Thursday for socialization with other dogs - we pay $20 but that does not include a real walk - when he has to "go" they just take out out back. They used to have a lady who would walk dogs for an hour and the rate was $15 - so $35.00 in total. Note that our dog boarder is also a professional dog walker and has a business set up - has to collect GST etc. and report income. If you are just going to do this on a cash basis and limit your "daycare facility" to one guest I would say probably max $25.00 - owner providing food etc. If you have to take her dog to the vet, you should be paid for that as well. You would just have to watch how many dogs you have in your household and for the walks - the dog police are "counting". You would also have to ensure that your neighbour will understand that sometimes you won't be able to take care of her dog if you have to go someplace.

Bearsmom
September 6th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks guys, I just don't want to charge too much (it's a cash basis), or too little.

Ford Girl
September 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
The resort I use charges $28 for a single suit per night, food and treats and play time included, dog walkers in Calgary charge $18 per hour, a day of day care is $21 for a full day (5 hours of more) and $11 for a 1/2 day (5 hours or less). I've seen it higher priced too.

mummummum
September 6th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Based on what I pay in dogwalker fees and my limited experience with doggy daycare / overnight care I think somewhere around $30 a day (I'm thinking that's one utility walk and one longer walk between 8:00 and 6:30) and $60 /$50 for overnights, reduced rate for multiple nights. It also depends on Tucker ~ a high-maintenance dog means more "work" than a couch potato.