Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New Puppy - Need to stop bitting

paluffma
September 6th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Hi Everyone,

I just got a puppy last Friday, and we bonded well! He is 3/4 Chihuahua and 1/4 Pug, so he looks like a strudy Chihuahua right now.

I was wondering if anyone has any additional ideas of how I can get him to stop biting me.

I believe that the problem is that he thinks of me as a playmate, as I let him up on the furniture and sleep in my bed and it is just the two of us.

I have tried biting him back - this worked once, but not again.

I have decided that my next steps are as follows:
- He will start sleeping in his crate at night (I crate him during the day - but thought it would be too much to do it at night as well)
- If he bites me, i will yelp (I tried barking as well - that did not work) and stop playing - or ignore him if I am not playing.
- I will not let him up on the furniture.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I really want to get him trained so that we are both happy, and I do not want to be annoyed with him - which might come if he keeps breaking my skin on a regular basis. I know I need to teach him, and I have not had a puppy in 21 years.

Thank you,
Paula

hazelrunpack
September 6th, 2007, 04:02 PM
How old is your puppy, Paula? Are we talking just a few weeks or are we talking closer to a year?

How hard did you bite him back? :eek:

breeze
September 6th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Biting him back is not the way to go. :eek: :eek: IMO you are only inforsing him to play like that.. (if that is what he is doing)

why not try a loud ouch, a firm no, then give him a command like sit or lie down, then when he does the command given to him reward with a toy to play with, or a treat, or a possitive hand rub.
teach him that the chair or couch is a quite time and place. don't play with him on the furniture, go down to his level.

the creat should be a safe place not a place for punishment.

paluffma
September 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Hi There,

He is only 7.5 weeks old, still a baby, that is why I would like to stop this right away, so that we are both happy. :cloud9:

To clarify, when I tried the biting (something that was suggested on a website that I visited) I did not bite him hard at all. It just shocked him.:shrug:

I do not plan on using the crate as punishment, but believe that if I put him back in the crate to sleep at night, this will not be punishment, but will be better for both of us.

I have been doing the loud ouch - and the no, so far it is getting better, and I have also been ignoring him when he is doing something I don't like and play on the ground when he is being good. I give praise regularly with treats, to reinforce the good behaviour, and realize unless I train him, he will not be able to learn what I want.

Thanks for the suggestions ... Please keep them coming!
Paula

mummummum
September 6th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Biting back definitely isn't the way to go! And Breeze is right on the money ~ the crate is a safe haven for your dog, not a place for time-out or to be used as punishment.

When you play what kinds of toys are you using? It may be that those are encouraging a hit n' miss nipping and you may need to use other toys.

And, just to reiterate Hazel's question ~ the age of your puppy is important in helping to determine whether he actually understands what he is doing.

mummummum
September 6th, 2007, 07:28 PM
My understanding is that Chi's are most often left with their mothers and siblings until between 10 and 15 weeks of age so your pup is VERY young to be away from his mother.

As a result he has missed alot of the socialization with his mother and siblings which would have taught him alot of the good manners we value in our puppies.

LavenderRott
September 6th, 2007, 08:09 PM
My EX husband once bit a dog of mine. She pierced his ear for him in return.

Redirect his biting from you to a soft toy - a small stuffy or some such. Then, if he continues, get up and walk away. Soon enough (after a few days of this consistantly) he should get the message.

t.pettet
September 6th, 2007, 09:25 PM
If he's crated during the day (while you're at work)? and at night, that is way too much solitude and confinement. Perhaps you could make a small area of your kitchen puppy safe and limit him to that area with newspapers, toys, food, water and open crate with blanket. Could yet get someone to come during the day to take him out for a little exercise. Prohibit any tug-of-war games or wrestling as this will re-enforce the mouthing/biting activity.

hazelrunpack
September 6th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Puppies all do a certain amount of biting. They explore the world with their mouths for a while... :D So redirect it, but expect it to be happening for a while. Your job is to teach Puppy what is appropriate to chew (Toys, Teething Rags, etc.) and what is not (your hands, your furniture, your checkbook :eek:).

Be consistent, be gentle, and buy yourself a pair of cheap bicycling gloves--the kind that protects the back and palm of the hand, but has no fingers. You'll be amazed at how much that helps when Puppy begins to teethe and the chewing begins in earnest.

Small Kongs are great for Puppies--when you roll them, they twist and turn and our puppies all loved to chase them. Great way to tucker them out! :thumbs up Remember to always closely supervise your Pup when he's got a toy, and take them away if he manages to rip, shred, or tear pieces off them.

Puppies! Ahhhhh...yes....hazel remembers those days well. :cloud9:

paluffma
September 7th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Thank you all so much!:lightbulb: You have all given me a lot of good information. :goodvibes:

When he bites, he is biting me, sometimes to get my attention and sometimes to play. Or that is what it seems like to me.

If he bites me by accident, I am less concerned (as it can happen) as he is not doing it intentionally. I have a chew toy that has different textures specific for teething, a red squeeky dog (pet stuffed animal), a raw hide bone, and a small monkey that has a tennis ball body. As I have already given him four choices, I have yet to introduce the kong, but I have that and other toys, for when the current ones get too used, or warn out.

He is very smart. He now understands stop & no - when he is chewing the couch, and sit.

The crate is not a small crate with no room, he has a bed, food and water, toys and a puppy mat. I go home at lunch time, let him out and we play for at least 1/2 hour.

I also take him for a walk, and play with him while I get ready for work, when I return home from work, I play with him, and praise him, get changed, and we go for a walk, and then before bed time we go for a walk. I have been spending all evening with him ... every night. We walk as long as he wants too, as I understand he can not walk too far... and I carry him back, and let him down if he wants to walk again.

I have tried yelping, and he looks at me funny. So I am not sure about this one, but will continue to try it as it does not hurt either of us (except the cuts on my hands and feet :)) but I believe that we will conquer that soon. :D

Thank you all again!
Paula

breeze
September 7th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Thank you all so much!:lightbulb: You have all given me a lot of good information. :goodvibes:

When he bites, he is biting me, sometimes to get my attention and sometimes to play. Or that is what it seems like to me.

If he bites me by accident, I am less concerned (as it can happen) as he is not doing it intentionally. I have a chew toy that has different textures specific for teething, a red squeeky dog (pet stuffed animal), a raw hide bone, and a small monkey that has a tennis ball body. As I have already given him four choices, I have yet to introduce the kong, but I have that and other toys, for when the current ones get too used, or warn out.

He is very smart. He now understands stop & no - when he is chewing the couch, and sit.

The crate is not a small crate with no room, he has a bed, food and water, toys and a puppy mat. I go home at lunch time, let him out and we play for at least 1/2 hour.

I also take him for a walk, and play with him while I get ready for work, when I return home from work, I play with him, and praise him, get changed, and we go for a walk, and then before bed time we go for a walk. I have been spending all evening with him ... every night. We walk as long as he wants too, as I understand he can not walk too far... and I carry him back, and let him down if he wants to walk again.

I have tried yelping, and he looks at me funny. So I am not sure about this one, but will continue to try it as it does not hurt either of us (except the cuts on my hands and feet :)) but I believe that we will conquer that soon. :D

Thank you all again!
Paula

even if he bites accidently I would still make sure he understands that this is not right. this way he will be more careful when playing.

I would still continue with the yelping and ouch then sit so he will knoe to stop and that you are hurt (even if you are not). they must learn to stop before anything happens by accendent or not.
You are the one in controll not the pup, and in time he will learn that and respect you.

As for the walking I would not carry him just shorten your walks so he knows it is not a free ride, dogs can be very very cleaver in wraping you around their paws lol

keep us posted :thumbs up

paluffma
September 10th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Hi Everyone!

I have an update for you!:thumbs up

Things were at an all time low - to the point I was sure that I was an unfit pet owner, and should not own a dog, on Saturday morning! :sick: I was lost and frustrated and not sure what I would be able to do to correct these bad habits that were starting. :cry:

Then on Saturday afternoon I went to a puppy seminar - where we were able to ask questions and address concerns with a trainer - WELL!
:lightbulb:

She looked at how I was interacting with my dog (who was curled up on my lap sleeping) and asked a couple of questions - she then determined that Max was trying to show me he was the Alpha male. We discussed what was working and not, and she suggested saying ouch then putting him in Time out for 30 seconds.

Now let me tell you what a difference this has made .... he has not broken my skin since Saturday morning and he very rarely tries to bite at me unless it is first thing in the morning.... and he is super excited.:thumbs up

I have found that I am more consistent, and confident, therefore this approach is working wonders!! :laughing:

Did I mention the fact that he is now rolling onto his back to get his belly rubbed?

Thank you all for your support and information!!!
:fingerscr:):)

breeze
September 10th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I am so happy that things are working out for you..

keep up the good work :thumbs up and you and your puppy will be the best of friends :cloud9:
I am gald you found the help and that the forum was able to help you.. :highfive:

keep us posted.

we would love to see some pictures of you and your puppy

:grouphug: