Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Summit Dog Food

Loves Labs
September 6th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Hi all,

I have been feeding our 1 & 1/2 yr old black lab Summit for the past 6 months or so...with no complaints. However, when I open the last bag we purchased the kibble looked very different - the colour was much darker, the shape was very flattened and it almost looked "greasy".

So I took it back the natural pet food store I buy it from and showed them. The immediate response I got was that since it is made from natural ingredients the colouration cannot be controlled. :frustrated: I pointed out that the shape was significantly different and it seemed greasy. They assured me that there was nothing to worry about. Luckily I had some of the old "normal" looking kibble leftover for comparison. One of the employees seemed to be on my side and agreed that it looked alarmingly different.

So I asked for a new bag and that we open it before I leave. We opened the new bag and it looked much more like it usually does, so I was satisfied - trusting that the food was safe since the owner assured me nothing was amiss. They only had medium bags in stock (a first), so I took one of those and she promised the big bags would be in the following week.

Well, my husband goes in 2 weeks later to get a big bag and low and behold they are no longer carrying Summit brand! :yell: He is a non-confrontational kind of guy so he didn't ask why or bring up our previous issue and willingly switched to another brand they carry. I plan to go in and ask for some answers.
Does anyone think this was just a coincidence? Has anyone else had similar problems? Should I be concerned?

It just all seems a bit strange to me...

mummummum
September 6th, 2007, 10:46 AM
It sounds like a completely different food was packaged in a Summit bag. I wonder if Petcurean outsources it's packaging process to another manufacturer. Absolutely I would be asking what had prompted the store to stop carrying Summit.

rainbow
September 7th, 2007, 01:50 AM
Perhaps Summit was not a big seller at the store so they decided to discontinue it? :shrug: I'm sure if you ask them they will tell you why they no longer carry it. Do they still sell the other brands mad by Petcurean? :pawprint: