Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

re applicants for my foster

anneh
September 6th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Hi, I am curious about what others think of this situation. Applications are slow for my foster dog but we have one that sounds really great (fenced yard/mature person/dog experience) but she will be gone daily from 9-6. She also mentioned crating but I said I would not recommend for that length of time. Dog in question is a 6yo 23lb mix (Pom?) He is housebroken and I think he wouldn't mind being alone all day but can they hold it that long? Applicant mentioned crating if dog chewed but he doesn't do that altho I do have to tell her that he gets on sofa sometimes. He enjoys being here and sometimes lays by the french doors looking out the window, can't imagine him in a crate all day. I am having such a hard time dealing with the fact that the right person hasn't come along for him, couldn't sleep last night worrying about this whole thing after all how will I know if she ends up putting him in a crate :shrug: on other hand she sounds really great for him.
anneh

NoahGrey
September 6th, 2007, 08:03 AM
I would think if you have any hesitations..don't do it. ALWAYS listen to the little voice in your head.

ACO22

badger
September 6th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I agree. I bet she plans to crate him, despite what you said. 9-6 alone? What kind of life is that? I recommend a cat, no crate or giant bladder required.

Love4himies
September 6th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Have you met these people face to face? That may give you a better idea of how you feel about them. I am sure there are a lot of good owners that have dogs and work all day so their dogs can't get out :shrug: .

Maybe you can ask them if they would be willing to get a dog walker?

Jim Hall
September 6th, 2007, 08:24 AM
So what is the best thing other than a dog walker?

I want to know because my girl and i are thinking of getting a dog but we also are gone for 8-10 hrs a day

anneh
September 6th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Trouble is I have a little voice inside my head that thinks every applicant is the wrong one :confused: I do want to get him adopted as he does initiate some fights with my large dog and I think it would be more peaceful here without him. Trouble is we have got attached to him and I worry myself to death about him going to the wrong situation :wall: anneh
I would think if you have any hesitations..don't do it. ALWAYS listen to the little voice in your head.

ACO22

SnowDancer
September 6th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Are you certain she is going to crate him all day, or did she just mention it in case she felt it necessary at the beginning. I do not crate my Eskie (never have - has crate fears) and never crated any of my Dachshunds. My Eskie is a chewer so it has been tough. She may even feel that you want to hear that dog would be crated - this would help prevent her from returning pup to you if stuff was chewed. I mention this because Poms are a lot like Eskies. If you look at postings on the Eskie board a whole lot of people crate their Eskies during the day - I just couldn't imagine it. She might also not mind the dog on the sofa, in the bed etc. I have found that the people most adament about not allowing the dog on the furniture are the first to do so. Fenced yard is nice. I was turned down by 3 rescues immediately over phone because we do not have a fenced yard - no further discussion about me, refusal to talk to my excellent vet references etc. Heck we have had a Beagle and Dachshunds who could dig under a fence in a second and now the Eskie who could jump it - my dogs are never out without me on the other end of the leash. This is how we ended up with a 13 week old puppy in our 50s, when the plan was to get a dog of 5 or so from a rescue. Never had a puppy before - our other dogs were privately rescued and we adopted them through our vet who knew us. Can tell you, the thought of a 6 year old sounds good. Our guy is now 3 1/2 and will be a puppy til the end. It sounds as if you would like to keep this little dog - but I do understand the fights - been there, not pleasant. I could never foster as no dog would ever leave here. Hope you find a home whether with this woman or someone else. At least she mentioned the crate - others wouldn't have.

mummummum
September 6th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Can you do a home visit and bring him with you so that she can see that crating won't be necessary and you can suss her out a little more and see how they interact together? You can always turn her down afterwards!

Frenchy
September 6th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Trouble is I have a little voice inside my head that thinks every applicant is the wrong one

:laughing: I've been there , I used to ask other members from the rescue for their opinions on applicants. A house visit would answer lots of questions for you , you could see clearer after. I do find weird people who want to crate dogs who do no need to be crated. It tells me they are not feeling comfortable with the dog just hanging out in the house ... in case they go up the couch and stuff. If they mind the fur , they should adopt a fish.

Frenchy
September 6th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I want to know because my girl and i are thinking of getting a dog but we also are gone for 8-10 hrs a day

:offtopic: Most people work 40 hours a week , so most dogs are alone 8-10 hours a day. It's not the ideal thing , but if that would stop people from adopting , nobody would have dogs anymore. :sad: as long as you don't get a puppy , the dog should be fine.

Love4himies
September 6th, 2007, 01:01 PM
I agree. I bet she plans to crate him, despite what you said. 9-6 alone? What kind of life is that? I recommend a cat, no crate or giant bladder required.

Good idea Badger, after Frenchy does all the research on "dog-like" kitty breeds, she can recommend a cat for these people.:D

anneh
September 6th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for making the point about fenced yard. It was my fault that we turned down a wonderful applicant last month because she doesn't have one, I was concerned that the dog could get out inadvertently the way their doors are but after she was turned down she said she would have changed that, I have actually cried over that. Their previous dog had been elderly and ill so they had let it go in and out on its own but said they realized they couldn't do that with this one (they live on 5 acres and I had visions of him getting lost in the woods). anneh Fenced yard is nice. I was turned down by 3 rescues immediately over phone because we do not have a fenced yard - no further discussion about me, refusal to talk to my excellent vet references etc. Heck we have had a Beagle and Dachshunds who could dig under a fence in a second and now the Eskie who could jump it - my dogs are never out without me on the other end of the leash.

coppperbelle
September 6th, 2007, 09:28 PM

ACO22
Yup, I agree. I didn't listen to that little voice in my head once and the dog came back a week later. The guy said he was aggressive. I kept him for another 6 weeks and tried all kinds of things. The dog wasn't aggressive the guy was an idiot.
The right home will come along. That is a long day for a dog to be crated.

mummummum
September 6th, 2007, 09:43 PM
is it possible your attachment and concern about him : Trouble is we have got attached to him and I worry myself to death about him going to the wrong situation :wall: anneh

is causing this little voice in your head?

Trouble is I have a little voice inside my head that thinks every applicant is the wrong one :confused:

You do say you get it about every applicant.

Applicant mentioned crating if dog chewed

So, if she is only considering crating if he's a chewer, isn't this something you could talk with her at length about during a home visit ~ where she could see that he's not a chewer and will also sit happily looking out her window?

... on other hand she sounds really great for him.

Maybe she deserves a chance. With a home visit you should know if your "little voice in your head" is specifically about her or more about you and your worry for his well-being.

Frenchy
September 6th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Good idea Badger, after Frenchy does all the research on "dog-like" kitty breeds, she can recommend a cat for these people.:D

:laughing:

TMac
September 7th, 2007, 08:20 PM
:offtopic: Most people work 40 hours a week , so most dogs are alone 8-10 hours a day. It's not the ideal thing , but if that would stop people from adopting , nobody would have dogs anymore. :sad: as long as you don't get a puppy , the dog should be fine.

Well said, Frenchy. I totally agree...many wonderful, loving dog owners have to make their income outside of the home (I bet stats would show the majority of working people work outside the home in fact). Its a shame if fosters/rescues discriminate based on that if the dog is pretty mellow and doesn't get destructive when he/she's alone. Besides, there are lots of things the adopter can do..e.g. come home at lunch, have a neighbour visit during the day, dog daycare, busy toys, etc etc....(you'd be surprised at what a dog would do by itself if left alone all day - usually a whole lot of nothing! Napping, chewing on a toy, more napping, bark at a squirrel, taking a drink of water, followed by more napping.........)

...and I'm not saying that because I work outside the home..in fact my husband works at home so someone is home for Toby 24/7 and he still spends 1 day a week at doggie daycare, burning off the zoomies with his buds!

anneh
September 8th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I took him to visit the applicant today and she seems very nice. Has a nice big, fenced yard and knowledgeable about dogs. She isn't fussy about her house but seems cautious in case he gets into mischief while she is gone to work so she said she could keep him in family room and I suggested a baby gate vs closing the door. She seemed to like him alot and spent alot of time with him but said she would call me about her decision. Frankly on the way home I was relieved that I went there and relieved that I felt good about her but also decided if she doesn't take him I will keep him, this is doing a number on my stress level :rip: Thanks so much everyone, you will never know how much this online support has helped me:grouphug:
anneh is it possible your attachment and concern about him :

is causing this little voice in your head?
You do say you get it about every applicant.
So, if she is only considering crating if he's a chewer, isn't this something you could talk with her at length about during a home visit ~ where she could see that he's not a chewer and will also sit happily looking out her window?
Maybe she deserves a chance. With a home visit you should know if your "little voice in your head" is specifically about her or more about you and your worry for his well-being.

Frenchy
September 8th, 2007, 09:00 PM
if she doesn't take him I will keep him,

:laughing:

I'm glad the house visit went allright and that you feel better about it. :thumbs up