Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Baby wildlife petition

t.pettet
September 5th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Received this from Animal Defence League. Please go to www.helpbabywildlife.ca and sign the petition. Thanks.

approved by Admins

mummummum
September 5th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Done and thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Melinda
September 6th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I help to rehab orphaned wild critters in Ontario, the ministry has always directed me to the right rescue, we have 3 within 2-3 hours of where I live, the last was a 5 week old groundhog in July, he's been successfully released in Ottawa, Rideau wildlife sanctuary helped me with him.

mummummum
September 6th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Bump ! Come on all you animal lovin' Ontarions !

rainbow
September 7th, 2007, 01:52 AM
You don't have to be from Ontario to sign as it accepted me. :D All you need is your name and email address and they have a privacy policy. :thumbs up

Shaykeija
September 7th, 2007, 02:45 AM
:sorry: :offtopic: MNR used to be after us all the time. My brothers are hunters and they wounded a Canada goose. Well I plucked out all the pellets and nursed him back to health. He lived in our basement all winter. We let him go in the spring when we heard the geese come in. We put a band on his leg, with our address just to let us know if he ever got shot. We never got anything. Man could he drill ya with his beak and ya sure got a wing beating if he was crabby. We also had a pet fox that we fed on our deck. Even slept on the deck, so we put a shelter there for him. MNR said he had rabies, but we had him eat a vaccine bait. So he was OK.

kashtin's kin
September 7th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Two or three years ago I was raking away some cut weeds along one fence line of our horse paddock, and uncovered a tiny bunny. It was over 30 degrees in the shade that day; after a quick and fruitless hunt for any sign of a nest, I put the bunny in a small bucket I had with me, along with a bunch of grass (for a nest).

After making a few calls, I was fortunate enough to be directed to a vet clinic within a 30 min. drive, which is licensed to rehabilitate wildlife in Ontario (Windrush Clinic, just outside Burford/Brantford). I zipped up there, and it was such a relief to have experienced [with wildlife..."everything up to-but not including-a bear," as one tech put it] staff to take over.

Since then, I have also brought them a mourning dove unable to fly; the tech said it looked like the poor thing had some road rash. In both cases I emptied my not hugely stuffed wallet in appreciation, and supported their fund-raising day last year with a bunch of nice/new items for a raffle.

From what the tech's said, there are not many approved wildlife rehab centres in the province...I assumed the MNR would be the approving body, but after reading their 'policy' sidebar with the petition, I'm confused. Whatever the case, I certainly feel very lucky that the Windrush Wildlife Rehab is so close to me, and hope that the gov't will change their approach to young wildlife in distress.

wdawson
September 8th, 2007, 08:56 AM
done :thumbs up