Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Am I allergic?

Irisu
September 5th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Hey guys! New here.

I got a puppy yesterday. He's the cutest and coolest thing in the world. I had visited him when he was 3 weeks old, but it was outside... So I was feeling fine. And I had made the whole trip there in the back of a car with a schnauzer.

Well... when I brought him back home, during the trip my eyes started itching. And today my nose is dripping... Is it hopeless, do I have to bring him back? Am I doomed to never having a dog, or perhaps am I allergic to puppies only? And here I thought I'd have a great friend for years to come...

ancientgirl
September 5th, 2007, 03:14 PM
If you are allergic to your new puppy, there is no reason in the world you can't keep him. Some people get used to their pets, and the allergies either get tolerable or go away. Others, tend to the surroundings. Vacuum a bit more often, keep the pet out of your room, wash your hands after you have contact, bath them often, or like me, take medication.

I'm allergic, VERY allergic to cats and dogs. My eyes start to itch, I start wheezing to the point where I can barely breathe and my face swells up like a balloon.

I have two cats and I take daily Singulair and Nasonex. Taking this daily, I have no problems with my cats. At the end of the month, when my prescriptions are nearing their end, I bath my cats, until I can get my next prescription, which is only usually a day or two in between. I've been taking the medication for about 7 months, as long as I've had my cats and now and then I forget to take a pill, and I'm still okay. My cats have the run of my apartment and sleep in the same bed with me and my allergies don't bother me.

Don't let your first thought about taking the dog back be your only thought. Many people do this, as they aren't willing to check and see if there are things they can do other than return a pet. You've taken the first step by at least asking if there is something you can do, and there is.

Irisu
September 5th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Well I thought of going to the doctor tomorrow and asking him if I could get an allergy test... I don't like doing taking decisions in a hurry. Right now I took an allergy pill and I'm feeling slightly better. I'm not sure I'd be dedicated enough to take medication daily though, I'm not too fancy of that...

I really hope I can keep him. Unfortunately it looks bleak. But thankfully, the exceptional I bought him from would take him back with my money back if I can't help it. She kept his two sisters too, so perhaps she's gonna keep their brother as well. I at least know he'll be sure to get a new good home.

ancientgirl
September 5th, 2007, 03:49 PM
If you take an allergy test and aren't willing to do anything about it, then you may as well just not get any pet.

I don't want to sound harsh or like a jerk, but pets are a huge responsibility, and if you aren't willing to make the effort to keep him despite your possible allergies then you are better off not having a pet at all.

I know a great many people who are allergic to their pets, some more than others and because they love their pets and want to give the animals a good home they make a little extra effort.

At least the woman you got him from is willing to take him back and find him a good home.

TeriM
September 5th, 2007, 04:07 PM
If you take an allergy test and aren't willing to do anything about it, then you may as well just not get any pet.

I don't want to sound harsh or like a jerk, but pets are a huge responsibility, and if you aren't willing to make the effort to keep him despite your possible allergies then you are better off not having a pet at all.

I know a great many people who are allergic to their pets, some more than others and because they love their pets and want to give the animals a good home they make a little extra effort.

At least the woman you got him from is willing to take him back and find him a good home.

I totally agree!

Irisu
September 5th, 2007, 04:12 PM

I'm 100% willing to take responsibilities for my pets. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten a pup which is a baby. I would've gotten an adult. I have other pets. I have 3 budgies, and unlike what some people think they are as big of a responsibility as a dog, just slightly different responsibilities. I did a LOT of things to get these birds the best home they can get and they are happy. My third budgie is my two budgies' child, and that means I had to live through the humongous experience and responsibility of helping my bird raise her clutch. There were troubles during that time (concerns about the hen's health and the behavior of both parents), I had to do a lot and I spent a LOT on this. I fought 2 days to try to keep two chicks alive. But none of these involved taking medication.

The problem is I'd rather wait until my LIFE requires me to take pills daily. I'm 23 years old, and I won't even take birth control! The problem is that in such extreme cases you need to put your own wellbeing in line. I'm already making the effort of trying to find a solution that would not require constant medication. Unfortunately it looks bleak. I don't tolerate allergy medication very well too, whenever I take it to go where a cat is I'm extremely drowsy.

Problem is... I never ever ever ever ever had to take medication to go to a household with a dog! I never had a reaction like what I'm having with my Comet. I just don't get it...

TeriM
September 5th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Have you tried bathing the puppy?

Irisu
September 5th, 2007, 04:18 PM
yea, I bathed him on the very first day... The lady had cats so I thought it might've been cat allergy being brought over.

ancientgirl
September 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM
How long has it been since you were in a household with a dog? People develop allergies where they never had them. I had cats in high school and never had a problem. Then several years down the line, I'm suddenly allergic.

Have you thought it could be something the dog brought with him? Is he old enough to have a bath? He may have gotten into something you are allergic to. Perhaps the breeder gave him a bath with something you have an allergy to also.

I understand your not wanting to take medication, many people don't. But if its something you have to do in order to have a pet, then chances are you might not be able to have a dog as a pet, at least not at this point in your life.

You may have to just keep that as a future possibility.

Irisu
September 5th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I think our last dog died about 5-6 years ago.

And like I said, I did bathe him.

I called back the lady... She did want the dog back, but it seems I missed the part "without money back". So now if I wanna get rid of him I have to find him a home first. I can't just give it back for free, I had him for two days!!

jowilson002
September 5th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Hey There,

I have 8 cats in my home and am allergic to them. When I was a small child my eyes would swell shut if I was around a cat or a dog for about 5 minutes.

Things get better with time. Benadryl and I have become very good friends and now most people aren't even aware of the fact that I am allergic to my cats. They sleep with me or anywhere else that they would like. There are no restrictions on the cats. I got rid of carpet, drapes, stuffed animals and such and this helped with the dander.

I do take Benadryl almost daily but with the repeated exposure to the cats my symptoms have decreased. Also generic benadryl is very inexpensive. Here in USA it's about $3.45 for a bottle of 100 at Wal-Mart (the Equate Brand).

I mainly take them at night and usually don't have any problems.

My son has asthma and he is also fine. There was a small adjustment period and my son who also takes allergy medicine rarely has any symptoms at all.

My son's doctor wanted us to get rid of the cats but we found another doctor!

My son is now in college but lives at home and would just die if someone even made a joke about getting rid of our feline family.

My cats, my son, and I all live very well with each other and our allergies.

It is do-able...

Good Luck
Jennifer W.:cat:

Irisu
September 6th, 2007, 12:49 PM
I got a little development...

I started having these red spots here and there (see picture)... They seem to be associated with where my dog chews on me. (Well, he's 7 weeks old, he chews everyone and everything! So. Cute.)

What's that? :frustrated: It itches sometimes.

ancientgirl
September 6th, 2007, 12:57 PM
You should ask your doctor.

When I'm playing with my cats, and they accidentally scratch me, the place they scratch me gets red and very itchy. It ends up looking like a mosquito bite. I put Aveeno lotion on it and it relieves the itching and goes away.

But like I said, talk to your doctor because that looks like an allergic reaction.

Irisu
September 6th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Oh boy. And just my luck, I just returned from seeing the man.

This is looking pretty bad. Well, not really. I mean, it's just little spots. Guess I'll be careful, maybe that's a saliva problem.

ancientgirl
September 6th, 2007, 01:19 PM
It could be the saliva. That's part of some people's allergies.

If you can find Aveeno get some and try it. I have a tube that's especially made from them for like bug bites. When I get a scratch I immediately put some on and it keeps it from itching and getting bumpy.

If that's happening to you as a result of him biting at you then that's easily fixed, by diverting his attention or just being careful until he gets passed his teething stage.

You didn't mention any sneezing, so has that died down?

Love4himies
September 6th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Did you sign a contract with the breeder? You may have no choice but to send the dog back to her, check your contract.

I would try the allergy meds before anything. My husband is allergic to cats and really is only affected for about the first month that a new cat comes into the home or if he visits a home with a cat. His immune system seems to build up a tolerance to a cat and does not have to continue to take allergy pills.

Irisu
September 6th, 2007, 01:45 PM
It could be the saliva. That's part of some people's allergies.

If you can find Aveeno get some and try it. I have a tube that's especially made from them for like bug bites. When I get a scratch I immediately put some on and it keeps it from itching and getting bumpy.

If that's happening to you as a result of him biting at you then that's easily fixed, by diverting his attention or just being careful until he gets passed his teething stage.

You didn't mention any sneezing, so has that died down?
Yes, it died down. It's still around but seems less harmful today. But I also took some Citirizine Hydrochrloride tablets yesterday, (AKA Reactine, Generic "costs 10 bucks less" type.) I had these around for when I go to a cat household. My cat allergies are another bag of problems, they are very very bad. But it's OK, I don't like cats anyway. I just need these or else I'd never go over to my friends' home. So perhaps the pills are just doing their job still.

And L4H: Nope. I didn't sign a contract. She's just a ma'am that happened to have two dogs that did fiddles. Adorable products, I have to say, but sorta not practical when you want your cash back... Which I won't get.

Hogansma
September 8th, 2007, 01:58 AM
I've always had dogs and am allergic to them. I found the puppy stage to be the worst. I could hardly breath and have red rashes but it got better as the dog matured and eased up on the mouthing. I found best thing to do is to bath the pup, wash yourself frequently (hands, arms, face etc) and avoid contacting the dog with your face (hugging to your face). Also wash the dog bedding regularly. My allergies eased up as the dog got to be about 9 months old. it is all worth it in the end. I do take antihistamines but very few. Good luck!!

Irisu
September 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM
You know guys, I'm starting to wonder if I am allergic at all. For three days I've been feeling rather fine. Perhaps I had a cold? I took a reactine pill at night on the 7th and on the 8th. I didn't take another one yesterday night. Today I went back to work, and I've been playing with my dog ever since I got home at 6... I've been holding him in my arms for about an hour while watching TV...

And I don't have the sniffles yet... Should I have them by now or that doesn't mean anything?

ancientgirl
September 10th, 2007, 07:47 PM
If you do have an allergy, it might not be as bad as you thought. Perhaps you are getting used to the pup, or you could very well have just had an allergy to something else.

If this is something you only get now and then, I'm sure you can live with it, especially if you don't need to take any medication on a regular basis.

hdme
September 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I tested as allergic to pet dander back when I was in college. I've always been fine around dogs and some cats irritate my allergies worse than others. When we got our Aussie 10 years later, I was sneezing, itching my eyes and blowing my nose for about 3 weeks - then it all stopped and I've been fine ever since. Your body may just need some time to adjust to the new allergens that you're exposed to. Good luck!