Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

lOST BUDGIE

Ghett2
September 5th, 2007, 02:48 PM
:shrug: I'm just not sure what to do. Someone let my 2 albino budgies out of thier cage in the back yard. I don't clip thier wings so need I say more. They were gone for a week and then I got a surprise, a man came to my door holding my favorite budgie Peanut. I asked how did you catch her he said she was on his driveway and he bent down and said up and she jumped on to his finger. She would always come to me and was very tame.She was really hungry and tired all she wants to do is sleep. I'm so happy. My question is if I was to put her cage outside again LOCKED would Frosty come to it? What tempature is to cold for budgies to be outside? I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and it is about 15degrees c here. I don't want to put Peanut in danger. Thanks in advance for your suggestions on how I can get Frosty to come home.

Irisu
September 5th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Budgies live best in temperatures between 18C and 30 I believe. So no, too cold this time of year. But if the temperature outside rises between these,you can put the cage outside and it just MIGHT come back. Just be sure to keep a constant eye on the cage. A sting from an insect can cause major troubles to the bird, even eventual death. But it's nothing to be paranoid about, you just have to know it.

you can try this... Record your other bird's singing, and put a cage outside. Hide the tape recorder but make sure it's loud enough. (so it doesn't scare the budgie) And maybe, just MAYBE, it might return.

You were very lucky.

PS: You can combine the two tricks if the bird does not sing outside and if the weather allows. Tape recorder and bird.

Ghett2
September 6th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the advice. I was also wondering should I get a new budgie for Peanut or will she just fight with the new bird? I had Frosty and Peanut for 4 years. Not sure if its a good or bad idea.

Irisu
September 6th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Sure, but don't get your hopes up with my advice... You would've had to do that on day one, it's very likely that you birdy is gone or dead, sorry...

There's a big "It depends" about getting a new bird. I suggest giving her a couple weeks off to live her mourning. If you wanna get a new one, know there can be wild fights. Peanut is a female, so she's likely to be very moody with the newbie. Maybe getting a bird that would be adult might be the best idea but I'm not exactly sure... It all depends on the bird's behavior. She's likely to be harder on a baby, and a grown up would at least know how to defend itself. I know my female would never accept another bird or will at least give it a hard time for a while, she's too wild with 'em. She won't even let her baby share her cage (She's jealous of it), and the male is having big couple troubles with her sometimes. If you're willing to get two cages and maybe forever splitting them, go ahead. For best lucks, try a guy. She'll be more tempted to snuggle. At least, if you have to split them, she'll have someone to sing to. And it doesn't mean they can't hang out when outside the cage.

If you want to get a newbie... Be sure to follow quarantine. Put the two cages close if you want to but not too close. Don't let the birds get contact with each other for a while (that means: keep Peanut off the newbie's cage! They'll kissies through the bars otherwise.), just to be sure the newbie isn't sick. Keep a close eye on it!

Good luck. :)

EDIT PS: A trip to the vet for Peanut would be an awesome idea. Just to check her up. She's been outside for long afterall, she could have a cold or something.

DianaRae
September 9th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Hello,

Please go to http://www.911ParrotAlert.com. There are tips listed on the site on ways to 'find' your Budgie. You can also search the database to see if Frosty is already listed as 'Found'. It is a free service.

Ghett2
September 14th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Peanut is doing ok. No luck on Frosty. Peanut has just started to chirp after a week. I think she will be ok she is very happy to be home. Thanks again to all those who answered my call for help.

Ghett2
September 17th, 2007, 09:49 PM
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/Ghett2/budgie.jpg
for picture

want4rain
September 17th, 2007, 10:19 PM
beautiful! wow! i didnt know they came in white like that. albino?

-ashley

Ghett2
September 19th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Yes red eyes and all.......I just love them to bits I'm so glad I go one back.

roccoisus
September 29th, 2007, 12:38 PM
My Boo-boo bird could be a penpal bird for your peanut :sorry: that you lost frosty :sad: (((((hugs))))

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y64/chickensrus/Boo-Booincage.jpg