Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does my isolated cat have enough space, toys, etc.?

jowilson002
September 5th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Hello all,

I have 8 cats at my home (inside). (All were rescued) I also feed 8 strays and find them homes.

I recently lost a cat to FIP so I have to isolate the healthy cats from the ill ones.

One of my healthy cats was a recent addition to the family (June 15). She was feral! She was spayed on June 19th and attacks my other healthy cats so I was told to keep her isolated from the other healthy cats. I carry her around the other healthy cats several times a week but she still wants to attack them and they want to attack her as well.

I have her living in my bedroom which is about 12X14 feet with a small bathroom. She has a pop-up cat cube, a bed, a scratching box, cat toys, and plenty of fresh food and water, as well as her litter box.

There is a large window in the room but she never goes and looks out of it. She is afraid of the TV and Radio.

She hides under the bed all day long while I am at work. My son goes in while I am at work to try and pet her but she will not come out. As soon as I get home and go in tothe room she comes straight to me for some one on one attention. She wasn't sure what the toys were for for a while but now she is very playful and frequently wakes me in the night to play with her and her toy mouse. With me she is very affectionate and loving. This is not so with the other cats or the vet whom she loves to bite. She tolerates my son but will not go to him when called. Even with me in the room she is afraid of loud noises such as thunder or the garbage trucks "she runs and hides under the bed."

My question is? Does she have enough room? Does she have everything that she needs? She is warm, dry, well fed, and receives vet care.

She seems happy and content with me but I feel that she is missing out by living her solitary life style. I do spend as much time with her as possible on the weekends but of course I must spend time with my ill cats as well.

Thanks,

Jennifer W.:shrug:

jowilson002
September 5th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Hey I also wanted to mention that I have tried to take her outside a couple of times since that is where she lived for two years but she holds on to me for dear life.

She seems very happy inside but I just want to make sure that she has everything that she needs...

:cat:
Jennifer W.

Jim Hall
September 5th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I too have assumed responsibility for a more or less feral cat

It took a month until she came out from under the bed and 5 months before she got comfortable around me and she still isnt too comfortable except if i sit in my office chair

If she is eating and grooming herself she is probably fine and is not too bored

WHat i did was lay donm on thre floor by her and read to her for 20 minutes or so a few times a day YOu might ask your son to do that with her

I am sure you are aware that some cats are very shy and will take a long time to feel safe in a new enviornment

mummummum
September 5th, 2007, 11:42 AM
That's alot of cats ~ Thank you for rescuing !

From your description, she sounds happy enough. And, it certainly sounds as if you and your son are spending lots of quality time with her helping her to overcome some of feral ways and acclimatize to her new life. Perhaps things will normalize over time as she relaxes in her new forever home and you find a way to introduce her slowly but surely to your existing healthy cats.

I think you are doing a GREAT job!

Love4himies
September 5th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Yes, that is plenty of room for a scared cat, they prefer to be kept in small hidden places, as they will feel safer and more secure. I wouldn't take her outside as it sounds like she was traumatized at one time. Right now a solitary life with loving human companionship is what she needs, no stresses of other cats.

Sounds like she is going to need a lot of patience and love and you are on the right track.:thumbs up

jowilson002
September 5th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks,

My son is a college student and fellow animal lover so I am sure that he will be willing to read to my feral kitty.

She does have a great appetite. She was underweight when I took her in but she is a perfect weight for her stature now.

She grooms herself very well and despite her lack of interest in others with me she is very active and energetic.

If I didn't know her age her behavior would indicate that she is a 5-6 month old kitten. She has learned how to play and seems to be enjoying it very much.

Thanks again.
JW

jowilson002
September 5th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks Love4himies,

I believe I will take your advice and keep her inside. I just wasn't sure at first if I was depriving her of the outdoors.
But, she does "seem" to love it inside and not out.

So, she can stay inside forever with me...

Jennifer W.

Love4himies
September 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks Love4himies,

So, she can stay inside forever with me...

Jennifer W.

Aww, she is so lucky to find you.

Jim Hall
September 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM
smart cat she knows when she has it good

My cat also had no desire to be outside

TeriM
September 5th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Sounds like she is doing fine. I agree with the advice from the others and would also encourage you to place her on the window ledge and pet her and watch outside with her. My cats spend a lot of time watching the birds and passersby outside and I have many window perches placed around the house.

chico2
September 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM
JoWilson,nothing much to add to what already has been said,just that I think you are a wonderful person for helping these cats and your little girl-kitty is perfectly fine where she is,she has love,food and a safe place..I am sure she think's she's in heaven:cloud9:

hazelrunpack
September 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM
You're an :angel: for taking in these cats and caring for them so well. They're all very lucky! :thumbs up

jowilson002
September 27th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Hello, Just an Update...

Bunny, my once feral kitty is doing nicely although I wish I had more time to spend with her.

She now will let my son pet her.

I decided to introduce her to one cat at a time in the room she and I share.

I introduced her to a very loving cat named Gabriel (11 month old male). Although she doesn't curl up and sleep with him she seems to enjoy having him around. She watches everything he does with interest. Gabriel likes anything that breathes; cats, dogs, bugs, etc. So, I though he should be the first to get to know Bunny.

Last night Gabriel slept curled up by my stomach and she slept curled up by my legs.

She also has a window perch now and she and Gabriel both love it.

Thanks for all of your advice. Hopefully she will learn to socialize with the other healthy cats in my home and have more freedom. For now she is still sharing my room.

Thanks again...
Jennifer W.

chico2
September 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Aww Jennifer that's great,I am so happy for Bunny,I am sure she loves the company of Gabriel,introducing her to 7 cats,might be a different story:laughing:
But all in good time,right..:cat:
I'd love it if you could add some pics,if you have any,love to see your whole crew of very lucky kitties:thumbs up

jowilson002
September 27th, 2007, 03:58 PM
We are down to 7 cats now so Bunny will be introduced to 6 - one at a time and very gradually.

One of my adopted kittens passed away this morning. :rip:

She (:angel:Baby Bear) was ill but was at the vet yesterday and seemed stable. My son, myself, and the vet were shocked at how sudden she passed away. We already miss her very much just as we do Simon (passed away August 4) of Wet and dry form of FIP.

I have had 4 kittens on meds for suspected FIP but the vet says that 3 of the 4 are healty now. Must not have been the acutal disease FIP. The vet thinks that they may have just had the corona virus. They have had normal labs now for about a month. We are however watching them very closely...

The other kitten that is ill is improving so we believe that she will recover as well.

Gabriel is completely healthy so he was the first to be introduced to Bunny.

My son is getting some photos together for me on a cd so that I can post them.

Thanks again for the advice.
Jennifer