Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Unheard of toxin

MissingSpringer
September 4th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I just resently had to put my cat to sleep because of severe kidney failure which could only be linked to one thing on the animal e.r's list which was taxidermy. We have two deer mounts in our living room and had caught him up on the cough a few weeks ago sucking on the fur we moved the deer mount to a location we thought he wasn't able to access. But now that this tradegy has occured and that it was linked to the incident. Does anyone have any knowledge of this or know where I could get some information on this. If this is really the case, pet owners that are also hunters or fishers need to be aware of this to prevent further heartbreak.

rainbow
September 5th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your cat. :sad: :rip: I don't know anything about taxidermy but they must use preservatives of some kind. Could you contact the person that did the mounts for you? Perhaps the preservatives he used were toxic. :shrug:

Jim Hall
September 5th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Taxidermy uses a lot of different chemicals including arsenic and borax
formalin and in the past asbestos I would say that some kind of perservative was used that was toxic especilly if the pieces were 15 yrs old or older


I am so sorry for your loss. It's relly tough to lose a young cat.
My gimpy was only 4 herself and it was a shock.

:candle: :candle:

mummummum
September 5th, 2007, 08:50 AM
If you are able to learn which chemicals were used in the process, you may find this the ASPCA Poison Control centre's website to be of help:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_publications