Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Canned pumpkin for dogs and cats

christem
September 4th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Hi,
I have 2 kitties, one is diabetic, and they have both recently been switched from dry food with hairball control to an all wet food diet. Since I have switched them to wet food they have been hacking up furballs all over the place. I have some of the hairball gel from the pet store- one cat likes it but the other one doesn't.

I was told that putting canned pumpkin in with their food would help by adding some fiber to push the hair through the digestive tract. Does this sound familiar to anyone? And if so, how much pumpkin should I add? Yesterday I tried a small amount and they ate fine. Today I left extra food down so I put in probably about a tablespoon of pumpkin in each bowl and mixed it with their food. They both took about 2 bites and walked away. I opened a new can of food and fed them that and mixed in a little bit of the pumpkin food mixture with it and hopefully they will eat that.

I guess I am wondering how much to give them where they will still want to eat it, and also so I don't give too much and constipate them.

Also is there any other good remedies that can be added to their food that would help with furballs?

Thanks!

Maggie

marko
September 4th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Hi christem,

Here is a pet tip on our site on canned pumpkin that might well be helpful to you. http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-75.htm

I'm sure our members will also be able to add more input.

good luck!

mummummum
September 4th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I can't advise you on hairballs but for added fibre, you could try psyllium (that's the stuff that's in Metamucil) which you can pick up in many drug stores and all health food stores. It doesn't have much of a taste and I don't think the granular texture wouldn't be much of a bother mixed into wet food.

kashtin's kin
September 9th, 2007, 12:49 AM
I'm sure the link posted above has more 'definitive' info; I have a bit of the anecdotal type i.e. have mixed pumpkin with a few different foods (wet/dry, homemade/commercial). I generally tried to keep the pumpkin to about 30%ish of the total mixture, and found that some cats really seemed to :D like this veggie addition, while others refused to try it :yuck: .

In general terms, it's a pretty cheap and simple thing to try...

kinglaura
September 9th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Hello Christine -

Canned pumpkin is a great natural way to add fiber to your cats diet. For new dog and cat owners who have adopted a pet in another area (jurisdiction) from your home town adding 1 tsp to your pets' food helps to prevent diarrhea as your pet adjust to the water and new bacteria it is now being exposed to. Both cats and dogs digestive system are sensitive to even small changes and this helps their system remain "regular" as they adjust to the water differences between cities/towns. Pumpkin also has vitamin A which is good for pets eyes and maintaining eye health.

Great question.

Laura

crazydays
September 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Where do you buy canned pumpkin that dogs can eat? I haven't been able to find it.

rainbow
September 9th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Where do you buy canned pumpkin that dogs can eat? I haven't been able to find it.

You can get it at any supermarket. It's usually in the same aisle as the canned veggies. Make sure you get the plain pumpkin and NOT the canned pie filling type.

crazydays
September 10th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Thanks Rainbow- I will have to put my glasses on!!

oceanbreeze
September 20th, 2007, 10:08 PM
A holistic vet told me to give my cat pumpkin when she is constipated. I just give her a small amount, a half a teaspoon say, in her evening meal. And I play with her more the next day in ways that encourage her to run and move around. Once in a while, I add a drop or two of fresh spring water to her canned prescription food too. I seldom have to give her a second dose of the pumpkin, which is good, because my cat too isn't much into it. Petguard Premium canned Chicken with Wheat Germ has fiber and encourages a good bowel movement. And Wellness canned foods are moderately priced, grain-free with all natural ingredients like fruits and vegtables for fiber.