Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sjgmichigan
September 3rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
Hi there! I'm new to this site, but I discovered you while searching for things I might do to get my dog to eat. My 9 1/2 year old Bernese Mountain Dog was diagnosed with chronic renal failure last October, they put him on an IV drip and he's been fine until about July when he would only eat if we fed him by hand or mixed chicken and chicken broth in with his gd. Now he will not eat. Well. . .he'll eat, but only certain things. He's been on gd, now kd, which he won't eat. . .dry or canned, and we've tried another brand that our vet recommended as well. Most recently we tried a rice/hamburger/bread mix that our vet recommended and he ate few bites, but that was it. He'll still eat dog cookies, and will eat a bite or two of what we're eating if it's flavorful enough. I just don't know what else to do. He seems to be himself, a little more frail than usual, but still happy to see us and wagging his tail. And he is drinking water. I know that 9 1/2 is old for a Berner, but what can I feed him? I'm getting desperate.

SJ

hazelrunpack
September 3rd, 2007, 07:47 PM
Hi, SJ. I have no experience with renal failure in dogs--with luck some people more knowledgable will chime in soon. :fingerscr

I just wanted to welcome you to the board and tell you how sorry I am that your Berner is ill :grouphug:

You might want to repost your question in the the health forum with a more specific title--more people will see it and respond to it there! :thumbs up

Best wishes for you and your Berner.

mummummum
September 3rd, 2007, 09:38 PM
Welcome to pets.ca ~ I'm sorry to hear about your dog but don't lose hope. :grouphug:

You might find this thread very helpful.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41321&highlight=renal+failure+diet

If you use the search function I think you will find there are quite a few threads about renal problems and diet. I know I posted some recipes for homemade in the food forum. And of course if you have additional questions you could, as Hazel has suggested, post a question in either Helth or the food forum and hopefully someone can help or at the very least a shoulder in support.