Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How not to spend labour day

clm
September 3rd, 2007, 07:34 PM
Managed to throw my back out this morning. Cleaned out the pond pumps and did my usual weekend water change. Not sure exactly how or doing what, but the old back gave out. :wall: I'm glad I don't go back to work until Wednesday, at least I have another day to rest it. Mind you I have a ton of stuff to do around here, and it's not going to get done by itself :yell:

Cindy

mummummum
September 3rd, 2007, 07:44 PM
Oh no Cindy ! What rotten luck THAT is ~ but, REST REST REST ~ the chores aren't going anywhere. They will be patiently waiting for your return to good health. :goodvibes:

crazydays
September 3rd, 2007, 07:49 PM
Ooch that can't be healthy!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heres to a better tomorrow!

hazelrunpack
September 3rd, 2007, 09:14 PM
Ouch, ouch, ouch! Do you have those lovely back spasms? :rolleyes: Sigh...hazel was gettin' those last week... :frustrated:

Hope you're feeling better soon :grouphug: Baxter and Bentley are gonna drive you nuts, otherwise! :eek: We're sending extra special good healing wishes your way! :thumbs up

Frenchy
September 3rd, 2007, 09:17 PM
Feel better soon Cindy , you really need to rest or else it could get worse :grouphug:

want4rain
September 3rd, 2007, 10:36 PM
aooowwwwww!! i pulled a rib muscle a few weeks ago raking. boy if i didnt feel old after that one!!

feel better!!! and REST REST REST REST!!! it wont get better if you dont!!

-ashley

clm
September 5th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks everyone,

Much better today. Still not totally better, but at least I can get comfortable to sleep. Back to work today. At least it's just a 2 day week for me. :thumbs up

Cindy

Frenchy
September 5th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Good for you Cindy ! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
September 5th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Glad you're on the mend, Cindy! Backs can hurt like the dickens!

:goodvibes: and :fingerscr for continued good reports! :thumbs up

mummummum
September 5th, 2007, 01:59 PM
You couldn't wangle a sick day Cindy? Oh my, :o I am glad it's somewhat better ~ just don't overdo it or you'll be back to square one! Tell hubby, he's on chores duty for awhile :D

Schwinn
September 10th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Everytime I pull my back, it's usually doing something that wouldn't normally hurt. Last time, it was doing arm curls, which didn't make sense. Then when I came home, I saw the pictures of me throwing Gracie up in the air a couple of days earlier...ah!

Robaxacet and I are best friends. It's one of the few things that work for me. I once doubled-up during a baseball tournament. Though the funky colours were nice, I wouldn't recommend that...

CyberKitten
September 10th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Have you seen your family doc? I am not an orthopedic surgeon tho I know more than I care to about "bad" backs since I have one almost constantly - not to complain. Did you pull a muscle or is it more serious? I am not certain the term you use is correct - we never really pull our backs out. If you did, you would not be here - or at least you'd have severe limited mobility. Our backs are actually pretty sturdy - even those of us who have very serious problems. (tho I have to admit I have metal inside mine so that helps, lol) But it is the vertebrae and the vertebral discs that we can injure or hurt in some way. So you really won't know what you did unless you have some kind of medical imaging. If it is painful, the best thing is some kind of NSAID like ASA or ibuprofen unless of course you have an ulcer or stomach problems - and depending on what other meds or OTC meds you are taking.

I am glad it better though. Ice and heat can help too. Some people use those frozen foods like peas and such. Can't say I ever have but a fellow pediatrician does on occasion. I am a little too far gone- am at the point of having minor surgery about every few mos just to handle the pain (zapping the nerve endings if you will, to put it bluntly)- and my pain doc tells me I have the worst back she has ever seen which is well, sometimes discouraging. She knows me so I don't mind her saying that - she is being honest.

Anyway - I do know what you are going through. I hope you feel better soon!!

clm
September 12th, 2007, 09:35 AM
cyberkitten, I'm sure you're right and I'm using the wrong terminoligy. When I say I've put my back out, it just means that it's not normal, it's out of alignment. My left hip is higher than the right and I can't totally straighten up. Sometimes accompanied by severe muscle spasms in the lower back.

I saw a doctor about it many years ago, I've had the problem since I was 21 (many, many moons ago) :laughing:
I've also got problems with my phsiatic nerve quite often which causes pain, but it's tolerable. More of just a constant ache when that's flaring up.

The lower back issue, they did xrays and found that there are a couple of discs that are degenerating and even back then I had arthritis in my back. Bending forward is a no no, sometimes bending forward to wash your hands at a sink will be all it takes to cause days of pain. You learn to be very, very careful but sometimes you still forget and you're not so mobile for a few days. An operation was suggested back then, but I can walk, usually pretty well, within a day or so if there are no spasms, usually takes a week or more if there are. I'm not willing to risk the slip of the knife to prevent me from walking again period. :)
I take robaxacet sometimes, usually an aspirin before I go to bed helps with the phsiatica and if I have muscle spasms, 20 minutes of ice followed by 20 minutes of heat every hour helps to settle them down a bit. I have a large back belt that I wear if the back feels weak or if it's already out and I need to go to work or move around a lot.
I have a high tolerance for pain, which helps. The aspirin and robaxecet usually expire before I use a small bottle, so I don't pop pills unless I really need to. I don't like doctors and can count on one hand the number of times I've been to one the past 20 years (I may live or die to regret that), but I don't get sick often, and when I do I prefer to look after it myself. I can't remember the last time I had a prescription filled. Case in point, I'm fighting an infection in my left eye at the moment, some nasty bug bit me on the weekend, just on the bottom lid, been teetering about whether to go get it looked at up until this morning, when I finally got the infection to start draining out.
I know it doesn't cost anything to go see a doctor, or to get a physical exam once a year or to even get medication if you need it if you have a company plan, but the medical and dental establishments scare me and I prefer to stay as far away as possible if I can. I'll stick to robaxacet and aspirin for pain and salt and honey for infections. Works for me so far. :laughing:

Cindy

mummummum
September 12th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Cindy I also have a bad back (and being hauled around by three large dawgs is not a "helper" :rolleyes:). I know you've said you hate Docs, I avoid them like the plague as well but one of the best things I've ever done for my back is see a physiotherapist. Daily stretching and core-strengthening exercises have made all the difference in the world to me. previously I was often completely unable to move for days at time or hobbling about with spasms and pinched nerves. If you do see a physio, ask them whether pilates techniques would help your particular condition. I also swear by my heated waterbed :lovestruck: but I realize it's not for everyone.

clm
September 12th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Oh, your heated waterbed sounds like such a wonderful idea right now. A nice warm nap on a heated waterbed. :sleepy:

Cindy