Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

itchy dog - hot spots?

skysmom
September 3rd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Hi,

My dog has been very itchy lately, and I've found some sores on his body that I believe are the culprit. I've been to the vet, and he gave me some antibiotics and shampoo/conditioner for him, but didn't really explain to me what might be going on, so I thought I would solicit some info from people who might have experience with this sort of thing.

I tried to take a picture of the sore that I found on my dog, (it wasn't easy!)it's a little round bump that looked like a blister at first, but has since been scratched to the point where it's red and scabby. I've been reading about "hot spots" and wondered if that's what it might be.

I've attached the photo, so if anyone might have some ideas for me, I'd feel a lot better.

My poor itchy guy will thank you for it!

Sky's mom. =)

crazydays
September 3rd, 2007, 06:52 PM
Its not an imbedded tick is it??? Just a thought.

mummummum
September 3rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
Hopefully it's NOT a tick but I assume your Vet had a look at it. Hotspots are like coin-sized, raw or red-scabby, sore-looking skin. They get them from licking and gnawing themselves rather than scratching. Can't imagine why your Vet gave you antibiotics ~ is there an infection on one of the spots? Sorry, I'm just blind enough that I can't tell if there is infection from your picture :o ~ it looks like a regular old bug bite or a pimple to me. Did your Vet not recommend anything like Benadryl to reduce the itchiness?

Frenchy
September 3rd, 2007, 08:42 PM
Don't know what it is but it's defenetly not a hot spot.

Rottielover
September 3rd, 2007, 08:56 PM
I do not know where it is on the body, but if it is on the belly, sure looks like a nipple.