Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about vaccinations.

IceAngel
September 3rd, 2007, 02:57 PM
Hi,
I have a question that I need answered and I havent found any answers which I may have overlooked.

Recently my 8 month old mixed breed puppy died. I had just gotten her from a friend and hadnt yet made the appt to get her to a vet. My regular vet retired and closed his office. I live in a small town and his hospital was the closest and no vet to replace him as of yet.
Anyway Friday afternoon my son came home from school,the puppy greeted him as usual, then it seemed suddenly,she went downhill. I took her to the emergency vet and she was diagnosed with Parvo. He gave her shots to stop vomiting and diarhea. I took her home and did as he said, gave her water(pedialyte)but she still passed away. He said its most likely because it was caught to late.
I had the puppy for about 2-3 weeks prior to this,so Im sure she contacted the disease from some stray in our yard.
I have 3 other dogs in the house. One is a 7 yr old Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix
and one is a 2 yr and 2 month old Min Pin and one is a Cocker/mini rott mix and shes 1 yr 5 months old.
The oldest dog has been vaccinated for Parvo and Im not to worried about her.
The other 2 werent until recently. I just recently gave them their shots.
Plus they have had their wormings a few hours after the vaccinations.
I know I have been lax as a pet owner, and please Im blaming myself enough as it is. Im worried to death about the 2 younger dogs. I have read that they may not get it since they are older. But did I do the wrong thing by giving them their shots?
The min Pin is throwing up and loose bowels,but the wormer says it may cause that 1 to 3 days post treatment. Ive checked the stool and its just loose. Not runny or foul smelling. I know what to look for.
All the dogs were in contact the whole time with the pup that passed away,they slept together and played,drank from water bowl etc. I thought that they should all get it at the same time if they were going to.

Please any help would be appreciated.

NoahGrey
September 3rd, 2007, 04:54 PM
I would take all 3 of your dogs to the vet right away and have them examed.

Also, I am assuming you bought the puppy from a breeder. Is your friend breeding? I would get in contact of whomever is selling those puppies. Parvo is VERY congatious and spreads fast. Someone is selling sick puppies either knowling or unknowling. Either or the individual must be informed and or held accountable.

ACO22

IceAngel
September 3rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
No my friend isnt a breeder. She gave the pup to us. She didnt know anymore than I did that the pup may come in contact with it.
Ive been reading for the past few days all I can about Parvo. I know its a deadly and very contagious disease.
I gave all 3 dogs a parvo shot yesterday morning. They also recieved a wormer for tape worms. I have used the wormer before and my vet said it was ok. He wasnt happy tho..mostly because I had wormed them instead of bringing them to him.

My question was was it to late for the shot? The older dogs shot would be a
booster shot. Shes had hers before. Its the 2 younger ones that just now got their parvo shot and this was after the pup passed away.
The wormer is Happy Jack Tapeworm Tablets. 1 tablet for each 10lbs.
It has a warning on the side...says Vomiting and diarrhea may occur 1-3 days post treatment.

Did I make it worse by giving them the shots?

NoahGrey
September 3rd, 2007, 05:30 PM
I think it takes 2 weeks for vaccines to fully take affect.

I am sorry that your puppy died, but I would try though to find out who is the breeder of these puppys. If the puppy was brought at a pet store, go to the pet store and explain the situation. I would also bring your vet records with you.

You may not think that this is a serious issue, but it is. Someone is selling sick puppies..either knowling or not, They have to be informed or held accountable.

Sorry that I am repeating from my previous post..but I CAN'T stress this more.

ACO22

NoahGrey
September 3rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
The wormer is Happy Jack Tapeworm Tablets.

Happy Jack Tapeworm. Sorry...but are you kidding me? It sounds like something you would pick up in a grocery store. Please tell me, you didn't by the dewormer in the grocery store?

Always get this stuff from a vet.

ACO22

IceAngel
September 3rd, 2007, 05:44 PM
No I understand what your saying and yes it is a very serious issue. Ive never slouched on my dogs at all and they have been kept updated before.
When the vet retired it left no vet in the immediate area. Since I had been giving shots before and medicating them as needed and no serious health issues ever arose,I got lax. I just didnt follow thru with the 2 younger dogs.
Just never bought the shots for them like I had before.

The puppy probably contracted the disease from here. There is no fence in the back yard and when we take them outside we stay with them of course.
Theres ample opportunity for any stray to go thru my backyard. I do try and keep the yard cleaned up from dog waste as we do like in town.

My friends one dog gave birth to the pup that died. She wasnt purchased from a pet shop. My friend isnt a breeder. Just didnt have room for another dog and asked if Id take her. I assumed she had her shots and never took her ot the vet yet. I planned on giving her her parvo boosters like I have done in the past to my other dogs.
The shot are 7 in 1's. I thought its possible that the shots may cause them to be a bit ill and combined with the wormer as well.

IceAngel
September 3rd, 2007, 05:50 PM
No I didnt buy it in a grocery store. It was purchased in a pet supply store.
TSC.....Tractor Supply.. Farm Animals etc.
Its a well known company and I did check out the company that made
the dewormer.

Mypetsrmykids
September 3rd, 2007, 07:35 PM
I think it would be a good idea to get the one that isn't feeling well to the vet. This could be the start of parvo also. It's better to check it out and know than to wait too long. It's good that she's a little older than a pup but it doesn't mean she is clear of this disease.
By the way, rotts tend to be very hard hit by parvo...I wouldn't take a chance waiting.

Purpledomino
September 3rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
I agree with the other posts about the urgency to take your remaining dogs in for an examination asap. Especially for your Minpin that is showing signs of illness. It would not take very long for such a tiny dog to become dangerously dehydrated if he is vomiting and has loose stools. Since those younger dogs were not vaccinated prior to the parvo contact, and also that they were all sharing dishes etc, I would err on the side of caution and get those guys checked out immediately. Parvo is devastating, and you are going to have a hard time living with yourself if you wait too long, and another beloved pet dies. Good luck, and I'm very sorry that you lost your pup. :pawprint:

mafiaprincess
September 4th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Stool problem could be parvo. Could also be an after effect of using a crappy wormer. Happy Jack is dichlorophene and a diuretic.. And can cause nasty poop, and vomiting. I've been told that when a happy jack pill breaks open the contents have been seen to melt plastic.

Just because tsc or the local petsmart sells something, it doesn't mean one should use it. Tapeworms should be treated with praziquantel.. Least 9 brands on the market, some of which are more easily found without a veterinarian, less likely to be in tsc though.

Since one can't give rabies, and a vet has to do it, do they also lack rabies shots?

IceAngel
September 4th, 2007, 09:21 AM
They were givin rabies shots. I took them in to get them done,well my ex husband did,and he informed the Dr. that we had the shots of the other. His intention was to stop and get the shots on the way home. He didnt and I never followed thru.

mummummum
September 4th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I agree with the others and urge you to get ALL of your animals to the Vet asap. Giving them vaccinations after the fact will not do much of anything if they already have the virus as they are vaccinations against the virus not an antidote. The longer you wait, the more critical the condition they will be in and the less likely they will be to survive the virus.

You might want to read this thread as it describes the type of cleaning you need to do in your house which should also be repeated for any out-of-door- hard surfaces your dogs use. Unfortunately, parvo likes hot moist environments and is very hardy so it may also be in your lawn and garden soil. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=37435&highlight=parvovirus