Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Porcupine encounter

Freyja
September 3rd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Hello all,

It has been awhile since I posted. Lindy and I have been having a great time together. And finally this summer we have been able to do some off leash walks!!! However, today we went to Nose Hill Park in Calgary and she had an encounter with a porcupine. She is at the vet's right now. She got a face full, including her mouth. As she is a shepherd/husky the rest of her faired okay due to her thick coat.

I just have a couple of questions, what can I expect when she comes home?

Also, I had to take her to an Emergency clinic I wouldn't normally go to because of their reputation for high prices. How much would you expect to pay for a "dequilling"?

Thanks!!

Freyja
September 3rd, 2007, 03:42 PM
Ok, just called the vets for an update. "Dr. so and so is in with a client and wants to talk with you, I will ask him to call you when he is free" That was an hour ago!!!! ACK!!!!

Freyja
September 3rd, 2007, 05:03 PM
She is home now. I couldn't wait any longer so I went to the vet clinic and she was ready to come home. She looks very sad. Groggy and sore. Her face isn't too bad. There were two places on her face and one on her paw that they had to cut and suture. I gave her Arnica and she is sleeping in the sand box. Not the cleanest place to be, but it is her favourite spot.

mummummum
September 3rd, 2007, 05:57 PM
Awww poor Lindy ~ hopefully they've given her enough pain meds that she will sleep through the worst of it. Thankfully we've managed to miss on the porcupine experience but, Rick C. had Abby at the Vets over the weekend with a face and chest full of porcupine quills (he posted pix in the photo section). Abby was well enough to go for a hike afterwards but she didn't get any in her mouth or need suturing. How is she feeling now? And, was it jaw-dropping expensive? :grouphug: to Lindy

kagnew
September 3rd, 2007, 06:26 PM
Poor Lindy! Glad she's home and hopefully she will sleep off the worst of it... My neighbor's 13 year old Chow has tangled with a porcupine TWICE in the last few months. Poor old guy! Hope he has finally learned his lesson - and Lindy is a little smarter than old Yogi!

Freyja
September 3rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the hug.

She is whining and keeps stumbling about. She is now inside again but won't fall asleep.

She is limping quite badly.

Is there anything besides Arnica that I can give her. The vet said no to Ibuprophen.

Yes it was jaw dropping to me. $900

mummummum
September 3rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Ouch to the $$ ~ I was afraid of something close to that figure. Did they not send you home with anything??? :eek: For that money they ought to have ! If they are still open I would call and ask for a pain reliever ~ see if they will fax the prescription to your pharmacy. I'm not craxzy about giving human meds to animals without double-checking with a Vet in case of pre-existing conditions. If it is too far for you to travel there, you could ask them about low-dose aspirin or children's aspirin and dosage based on your dog's weight and current condition.

Freyja
September 3rd, 2007, 06:46 PM
Yeah, they have a reputation for being expensive, but it is a holiday and they were the closest. Whaddya do?? Perhaps investigating pet health insurance on Tuesday wouldn't be a bad thing.

They didn't send me with anything. She is sleeping now, thank goodness.:sleepy:

mummummum
September 3rd, 2007, 06:52 PM
Hopefully, she will sleep right through. :fingerscr

Freyja
September 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
Urggggghhhhh!!!!!

I called the vet because she is crying and whining. They said I could pick up a prescription. For more $$$$$ Unbelievable place. I keep giving her Arnica, any other ideas????

mummummum
September 3rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Did you remember to ask about the children's aspirin/ low-dose aspirin ? :o

Freyja
September 3rd, 2007, 09:03 PM
Yah, "we don't recommend giving animals medications meant for humans" whas what I got. I carried her outside again, all 75lbs of her and she if finally sleeping. Poor thing.

Longblades
September 3rd, 2007, 09:23 PM
Did she not get an injection of antibiotic and more for you to give her at home? Quills are dirty and greasy and just loaded with infection causing potential. I believe it is usual to anticipate infection with quills by giving antibiotics as a matter of course, not waiting till the infection actually does show up.

Be careful petting her. Quills were still making their way through our ESS a year after her first encounter.

Most dogs do not learn to avoid porkys. As our Vet said to us, did you ever have a hangover? Did you have a second one? It's a heat of the moment thing with dogs. See another porky, jump on it again.

Freyja
September 3rd, 2007, 10:09 PM
She got a dose of IV abx, but no take home anything. The nurse said that is rare for infection to be systemic so just to watch for healthy granulation of the incisions. Her face looks a bit swollen but not too bad considering. She drank water pretty gingerly so I would imagine her mouth is sore. She is sleeping in her bed, so hopefully she will be a bit better for the rest tomorrow.

night night:sleepy:

mummummum
September 3rd, 2007, 10:14 PM
Check your pm Freyja

Freyja
September 10th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Just thought I would let you know that Lindy is still not 100%. I called my vet who suggested antibiotics and let me come in to rant about my experience. He was furious at the treatment I received. If anyone is looking for a fantastic vet in Calgary. Let me know!!!

hazelrunpack
September 10th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I hope Lindy is totally recovered soon, Freyja! :grouphug: Poor dear. :dog: