Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Sitter Wanted

Sarah_Crowhurst
September 3rd, 2007, 02:05 PM
Hello

We are a couple from the UK currently traveling in the States on a boat with a cat. We are planning on taking the boat out in Lake Champlain and were thinking about flying home for the winter. The only problem being that we have a lovely little cat that we can't take back with us and would like to find a responsible reliable person to look after him whilst we are away.

Does anybody know of such a person??? And how we an check someones credentials if we do find someone.

Here is a link to our sailing website that contains many pictures of Mano in action!

http://www.sailingdiary.co.uk

Mano himself is 2 years old, white and ginger and looks a little siamese. We have had him living on the boat with us since he was 4 months old, although like most cats he loves getting off the boat when he can and having a good old explore around. He has been neutered, has up to date rabies injections and has a health certificate. Although we would like to get him chiped too whilst we are in Canada to get him a Pet Passport, so we can eventually sail home with him.

If anyone has any information we would be extremely greatful!

http://www.sailingdiary.co.uk/images/gallery/NYC/to-79th-street_04.jpg

NoahGrey
September 3rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
I would contact you vet or other vets in the area. Some Vet hospitals board pets, while owners are on vacation. I would look into, if I were you. You can have the comfort in knowing that your pet is in GREAT hands, and if he gets sick, the vet can treat him right away, without belonging a sickness that could be fatal (meaning a friend is looking after your cat and doesn't know that you cat is sick or not that sick)

Another thing is you know where you cat is and will be safe. As an Animal Control Officer, I see it everyday. People who are pet-sitting and the pet goes missing, lost. I could not imagine coming home and facing the fact that my pet is missing and possibly dead.

I would try looking into boarding your cat a vet, it might be pricey...but I think well worth every cent.

I would also be wary of unknown people. Yes, they might have good references, but you really do not know how they are. Are they really responisble, Will they think about the cat possibity getting out. What if your cat does not like the other person. Ans this might very well be. I find cats more fearful towards humans at first, then dogs do. What if the sitter doesn't come everyday too feed and change litter, give fresh water. It DOES happen ALOT, more then most people would like to think. It's sad. Cats don't like change.

If you want someone to look after your cat, I would suggest picking someone that you fully trust and that your cat knows and feels comfortable with. You cat will be stressed out, at least yes, it is in it's enviroment, but it also knows the person coming in and out

ACO22

badger
September 3rd, 2007, 06:23 PM
What a beautiful cat. I'm not clear on why you can't take him with you, I thought Britain had done away with quarantine. You're looking at a separation of at least four months, which is a long time to be at the vet's. Even if he is nowhere near sick animals and gets excellent care, I think it would be extremely stressful for him and I guarantee he wouldn't be the same cat when you return. Is there someone in England who could care for him while you are there, if he can't be with you? A friend, a family member?
I wouldn't leave him in Canada with anyone but a close friend, too risky.

mummummum
September 3rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Welcome to pets.ca. Mano is a very handsome little guy ~ I can see a bit of Siamese in him too! Although the suggestion of Vet boarding is an excellent one, personally I would consider it for no more than a one-two weeks for your cat. Any longer than that is a verrrry long time to be in a kennel crate 24-7. I would make every effort to find a way to bring him with you if you don't know anyone well enough with whom to entrust his care here in North America. :shrug:

NoahGrey
September 4th, 2007, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=badger;472975] You're looking at a separation of at least four months[QUOTE]

Thanks for this. I must have missed it. 4 months...WOW, that is a long time to stay at a vets. I agree, it would be too stressful for him. ONLY pick someone that you trust and your cat feels comfortable wtih. 4 months is a long time to be away from your cat, your cats is gonna think..What the hell is going on.

Don't be surprised if you cat acts strange with you in 4 months, or sadly doesn't even care that you are back.

I know that I could not leave my cat for 4 months.

ACO22

gomez
September 4th, 2007, 12:16 PM
The UK has by no means done away with quarantine! Wish they had...

What you can now do is get a Pet Passport for your pet, but that involves a microchip, a rabies shot and 6 months of "home" quarantine, which means that the pet must have stayed in one place for 6 months and there must be veterinary documentation to prove this, before the Pet Passport can be granted -

It's a lot easier if you are in the UK and then want to travel...

Sorry Sarah, can't help you with your kitty arrangements, I'm all the way in Australia! Good luck

Sarah_Crowhurst
September 12th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Hello

No England has extremely strict quaranteen laws, there is no possible was that we can take him back at present unless he has a pet passport, although that process takes 6 months too.