Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Group Puppy, Need Sleeping Arrangements

Buffalo Boy
September 3rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Hi, new to this website but I browsed around a lot and loved what I found. I have a new adoption to my life, a Pit Bull/Black Lab mix named Enna. She's only 6 mos. old and we got her this week. I am a young guy and have 3 roommates, we have a big house and all my roommates are brilliant about taking care of her, but we all operate on different schedules. I work a 9-5 schedule during work some days, but most of the time I have much more time during the week (9-2 schedule) to look after her. What's interesting is that of my roommates, one follows the same schedule as me, one works from 3pm-12am and usually will play with the dog before or after. My last roommate works 12am-7am and walks her in the morning before I wake up. The dog is never alone and the only time she needs to be crated is when were purposely trying to crate her. It's a great situation and shes becoming so people adjusted its wonderful. My problem is, is twofold. One, is that I want to get her on a normal schedule. I don't like that she's active so much at night, because when my roommates go out and it's time for bed, she runs around like she's on a controlled substance. She is never tired out (EVER) and we play with her constantly, also each of us walk her once a day (our backyard isn't great, so she needs to do her business and get some exercise.) Also, I've had dogs my whole life and they have all slept on my bed (sometimes taking it over) and I would love for her to fall asleep on my bed and wake me up in the morning. Unfortunately, she doesn't sleep. As far as anyone can tell she doesn't sleep in the day and its driving me nuts! :wall: Can anyone tell me how to get her to sleep and teach her to do it in my bed so I can get some :sleepy: and not need ten shots of espresso in the morning and midday naps.

t.pettet
September 3rd, 2007, 08:57 PM
Your girl sounds high-energy, have you considered teaching her to play frisby in a secure, fenced-in area or perhaps making a play-date with another young dog that she could run and tumble with. Jogging or having her run while your biking would probably tire her out also.

mummummum
September 3rd, 2007, 09:54 PM
I agree. Any off-leash parks she can go and get her zoomies out? Swimming? Bicycling (I use a Springer attachment http://www.springerusa.com/ for my bike ~ they are GREAT!) is also good for high-energy dogs ~ just keep an eye on her paw pads or buy reliable boots. You also need to keep in mind that well, this may last for another few years ~ she's still just a pup!

It would likely be a good idea for you and your roomies to draw up a set schedule to make sure her toiletting needs and playtime zoomies needs are met throughout the day and evening but gear it so that she is not getting all revved up with playtime at 2 a.m.

want4rain
September 3rd, 2007, 10:12 PM
also keep in mind to keep it low impact, she is still only 6 months old. labs and the larger dogs seems to develop issues from over doing it as puppies. :) swimming is a great way to tire a pooch out without damaging joints. got a lake near by? frisby INTO the lake is a good idea too!!

-ashley

mafiaprincess
September 3rd, 2007, 11:55 PM
I echo the no high impact exercise yet. Biking or jogging is too much at this age. Swimming, dog park, know any neighbours with dogs you coudl have a small pup party in your own yard a few times a week..

Dog Dancer
September 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Ditto from me on no high impact running/biking at this age. Too hard on the joints. Even doing some obedience work while walking her will help to tire her out mentally and she will be more restful after that. You don't only need to run her full tilt to wear her out. But I would suggest that those with late night hours not be encouraged to take her out to play. Night time is sleep time and just like a baby she needs to learn that. Frisbee can also be a rough game for dogs who will be larger. There's a lot of jump/twist action going on with the legs and it can cause damage - even though many dogs enjoy it and have no problems. I had a dog who ultimately had to be put down at 7 due to a leg injury from playing frisbee - our vet hates them! But your girl sounds delightful. Obedience classes will also help you to focus her and tire her out. Good luck to you.

Ford Girl
September 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Can you crate her? Keep the crate in your room, when you go to bed, she goes to bed, when you get up, she gets up. Puppies thrive on routine, if you do this every night, her sleep patterns will follow. Not allowing them in your bed right from the start also teaches them you are the alpha, once she earns that privledge she will be sleeping better....and it will be a treat to snuggle up with you. A tired crated puppy will ensure everyone sleeps well.

coppperbelle
September 6th, 2007, 05:52 AM
If she's part lab she will probably enjoy being taught to retrieve something. When my dogs are young I will take them to the park, attach them to a long 40ft. lead and let them run. They are goldens and love to chase balls or Kongs and bring them back. Retrieving is also a game that can be played in the house. Walks are great for the mind but a young dog will need to let it all out and that is why she is zooming at night. Can you take her to a dog park?

Ford Girl
September 6th, 2007, 11:41 AM
If she's part lab she will probably enjoy being taught to retrieve something. When my dogs are young I will take them to the park, attach them to a long 40ft. lead and let them run. They are goldens and love to chase balls or Kongs and bring them back. Retrieving is also a game that can be played in the house. Walks are great for the mind but a young dog will need to let it all out and that is why she is zooming at night. Can you take her to a dog park?

Agreed, a leashed walk doesn't cut it for these breeds, I still do it to teach her leash manners but full out exercise and play is required!!! Daycare, dog parks, offleash activities work well, I too use a 40' rope during the adolecence stage when her recall wasn't 100%.

You need to post some pics asap!!!!! :cloud9: