Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi Everyone!!

Kim and Loki
September 3rd, 2007, 12:43 AM
Hi All! I just brought home my pup, Loki, a few days ago. He's a Norwegian Elkhound. I've always been a small-breed person, so having him around is quite new (considering that, at 4 months, he's already bigger than any dog i've ever owned!!). I'm sure that as Loki and I grow together, there's going to be lots of questions I'll have. I'm hoping you folks will be able to offer some insight and advice when the time comes! I already have questions a-brewing......For instance; it seems that Loki is very unsure of himself. He came from a farm where he was in an outdoor kennel all the time and he also had no toys to play with. Well, in the last few days he's had no problem breaking in the use for toys, however I find that he's almost scared to walk across the kitchen floor, and he will often cower (might be too strong of a word, but similar to that) when he's approached. I know the breeders were not abusive, but any suggestions on how I can get him to feel better about himself and build his trust? Or, is this just a "it will happen in time" thing? Is this something that is common in pups (I don't recall my past pets acting like this). Any advice?

growler~GateKeeper
September 3rd, 2007, 01:10 AM
He came from a farm where he was in an outdoor kennel all the time and he also had no toys to play with. Well, in the last few days he's had no problem breaking in the use for toys, however I find that he's almost scared to walk across the kitchen floor

some dogs who have spent more time outside than in are unsure of linolium floor (often in kitchens, bathrooms etc) it's very slippery to them, the sound it makes when they walk across it is all very new to them. Give him some time, you could also try sitting in the middle of the floor & gently encouraging him to come to you for a treat - no sudden movements/sounds while he is in the kitchen is key to his transition to "this floor is okay", a couple of small rugs in the kitchen would help also - he would find them a safe place to walk

and he will often cower (might be too strong of a word, but similar to that) when he's approached. I know the breeders were not abusive, but any suggestions on how I can get him to feel better about himself and build his trust? Or, is this just a "it will happen in time" thing? Is this something that is common in pups (I don't recall my past pets acting like this). Any advice?

The cowering is likely lack of socialization with people (he was outside most of the time) & he is unsure whether he is supposed to be there in the house, this could also be him showing you are pack leader by submitting. Gentle approaching without bending over him again no load noises/raised voices, no sudden movements towards him/hands raised over his head to pet will also confuse him cuz he's not been around enough people to feel confident that new people are not going to harm him (not saying that you would but dogs perspective). Another way is when coming within a few feet or when ever he starts to cower, kneel or sit on the floor - this is seen as being @ dog's own level & not threatening (cuz anyone taller than him will tower over him) & quietly call him over, praise him for good behaviour, reassure him that he is allowed in the house.

Only common in pups who are unsocialized with people or ones with a very very submissive behaviour.

welcome to the board & we'd love to see pics

mummummum
September 3rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Welcome to pets.ca ! Didn't anyone warn you that we would pester you about pix until you finally succumb to our whining and moaning ?? :D

(I responded in your other thread about socialization and flooring)

Kim and Loki
September 4th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Growler...thanks for the advice! I realized after I had posted that this was really for intros (sometimes, I don't read instructions all the way through), but these suggestions you gave i'm going to certainly try!
Mumumum...pics are coming...no worries! I just don't know how to download pics on this computer just yet! Trust me! I'm so anxious to show him off! :cloud9: