Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Province commits to strengthen animal protection laws

twodogsandacat
September 2nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
At first that title of this post sounds great doesn't it? Then you realize that the Ontario Liberal governement is behind this. To date not an entirely animal friendly government.

Read the article linked to at the bottom of the page but then take away a few keys facts before buying this cock and bull that the McGuinty government are suddenly animal lovers. Understand that every party supports this bill. This legislation is not key on the McGuinty government getting reelected as so many of their other promises being made a month before an election are. If this is their attempt to buy the votes of animal rights supporters right before an election don't fall for it. I don't see anything in there regarding puppy mills either.

Then also remember the only real change that this government has initiated in four years other than an illegal tax (opps premium - not allowed to call it a tax) was the changes made to the Dog Owners Liability Act...other wise known as the pit bull ban. It was passed unanimously by the McGuinty government and in it it made it illegal to teach a pit bull how to fight - ONLY Pit Bulls. Tosas, Filas, Rotti's or any other breed of dog can be taught to fight without violating the DOLA as amended by the McGuinty government. If they went to the trouble of putting those words in there why couldn't they have protected all other breeds at the same time?

Also remember that rather than completely banning the pit bull in Ontario Mr. Michael Bryant and Mr Dalton McGuinty specifically wrote into law that LABORATORIES in Ontario can own pit bulls. They hate pit bulls or rather those that dared to challenge them regarding the pit bull so much that rather than just banning them they authorized their use in laboratories to have them experimented on like Frankenstein. As if they weren't already the most abused breed that deserves a break they needed this specifically written into the legislation as a final knife twist into those trying to protect and save this breed.

So before supporting these scum based on a yet another 'soon to be kept promise as long as you reelect us' claim please consider that Mr McGuinty and his puppet Michael Bryant may be responsible for more gruesome drawn out deaths for pit bulls than Michael Vick and that shortly before the last election they made also some promises regarding autistic kids they not only didn't keep they appealed a court decision where they were told to uphold that promise. They still haven't kept that promise.

They are scum and they are desperate. Don't let your love of animals cloud your judgment.

http://www.londontopic.ca/article.php?artid=4775

wdawson
September 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
funny how a few months before an election the liberals all of a sudden care about the people of ontario,the animals in ontario. they also seem to have a huge wallet all of a sudden....:rolleyes:

i finally figured out how to retire at age 43......i'm starting a cricket club.

mummummum
September 2nd, 2007, 01:41 PM
And the "Reality Check Award" goes to...

http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/248928

Animal cruelty bill ignored
Aug 23, 2007 04:30 AM

Stiffer animal protection laws urged
Aug. 17

I noted with interest that your article failed to mention how the current government has blocked previous attempts to strengthen our animal protection laws.

While the article mentioned the fact that the McGuinty government is expected to introduce some sort of measure on animal protection just in time for the upcoming provincial election, it did not make reference to the private member's bill that I introduced in the Legislature earlier this year that would have, for the first time in Ontario's history, made animal cruelty a serious provincial offence.

This bill would have imposed stiffer penalties of up to two years in jail, fines of up to $60,000 and lifetime bans on pet ownership for those who abuse pets. Unfortunately, Premier Dalton McGuinty did not even give this bill an opportunity to come to a vote before he adjourned the Legislature three weeks early.

When he tries to revisit the plight of abused Ontario animals as a campaign issue, he should be forced to account for the reasons he consciously chose to block this legislation, thereby leaving vulnerable animals in the lurch throughout the summer.

McGuinty has had four years to act on protecting animals, yet his only legislative initiative has been to block the efforts of others who are trying to make a difference. Now, suspiciously, just in time for a provincial election, he is pretending that this has been a priority all along. I doubt animal lovers will be so quick to forget.

~ Bob Runciman, MPP (Leeds-Grenville), Brockville, Ont.

chico2
September 2nd, 2007, 03:37 PM
I know we cannot with a good concience vote Liberal again,thank's to McGuinty,but I also cannot vote Tory,after experiences with Harris,Eeves and their goons.
Mr Tory's biggest mistake is promoting funding for religious schools:yell:
Also I need to see proof this new animal-protection act,will pass,like right now!!
So what to do?? Maybe not vote at all,the first time since we became Canadian citizens:confused:

mummummum
September 2nd, 2007, 05:50 PM
There's alsways the NDP and the Greens Chico. :shrug: And I hear The Rhinocerous Party is considering a comeback :laughing:

wdawson
September 2nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
chico....ya gotta vote.....even if its ndp.....forget the hippy party....they dont stand a chance.....please dont waste a vote...