Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question: can you clean a cats ears?

deerclan
May 18th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Hi all i have noticed that our kitty mercedes inner ears are a little dirty is it safe to clean them? If so what can i use?
Mercedes has a vet appointment in the next couple of days should i just leave it for the vet to clean.

DeerClan

Karin
May 18th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Of course you can clean a cat's ears! I use to clean 200 cat's ears every other Wednesday when I worked at the Humane Society shelter.
I also clean our "office kitty's" ears frequently,( he has an on going problem there)
I rarely have problems and do it all by my lonesome, unless I have a cattitude issue.

I use OtiRinse by DVM products, many other companys make the same product only marketed under a different name.

Use cotton balls and or/ a tissue. If you are not experienced with using a q-tip or "navigate" the ear canal, have the vet show you. It is easy. But please have it demonstrated first.

I saw a thread on bathing cat's recently but was too busy to respond.

Same answer applies, hardly a problem at all.

If the cattitude comes out, cattitude methods are put in place. But rarely have I seen a problem.

I find felines to be an easier, more patient and appreciate furrry friend to work with on simple procedures like this.

When it comes to Ciara, my roommate canine.,

....just call me Dr.Kevorkian!

I will take a thousand cats in exchange for bathing, cleaning ears, and the Oh so dreaded nail trim that I have to do with one dog...she knows how to push my buttons! I can draw my own blood samples from her alone but touch ONE ear or toe nail! UGH!

I sometimes opt to have the vet do these very minor procedures due to the stress , (mine lol!)

Luba
May 18th, 2004, 10:23 PM
That is a lot of cats Karin :eek:

Karin
May 18th, 2004, 11:55 PM
That is a lot of cats Karin :eek:

When working in a shelter with 300 + cats and scheduling routine stuff like this it's not bad, of course you have help. Most cat's love it and bothered us with the "me first" approach.

We had a total of 500 cat's . 500 in the various cat rooms. 200 approx. in foster homes and also in our Felv/Fiv rooms.
500 canines also on the premises, 8 pot bellied pigs. Countless ducks, rabbits, ferret's etc, etc..can go on but we will need a boat.
Loaned land nearby housed many horse's, goats, chickens and cattle (various, including 2 gazzelles and 2 white tail deer.)
This was a no kill shelter. In 1993 the shelter was torched, arson, I still believe it was arson although never proved. Search Humane Society of Seminole County. I wish I had a link to provide.
In 1998, after I moved away, the tornado's that hit Florida and killed 26 people in late Febuary also wiped out the entire pasture on loan and some of the family members which had donated the land...
That shelter was able to build a new facility from funds but sadly they could not keep their heads above rising costs of maintaining the new buildings and was absorbed by the Orange County/Orlando Humane Society/Animal Control.

Unwanted animals are an epidemic in the south. More without a home than with one.

Luba
May 19th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Oh dear I don't even want to know the devastations from the fire.
That is gruesome! :mad:

deerclan
May 19th, 2004, 04:40 PM
I think what i'll do is have the vet show me how to clean her ears i don't want to injure her.

thanks ladies

DeerClan