Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats hanging out in dog's yard

lauriet
September 2nd, 2007, 08:58 AM
I posted here recently about my dog's barking outside (and the threatening note from a neighbour). We've come a long way with Gromit's training, and he's cut 'way back on his barking. (Yay!)
However, we now have a strange side effect from the changed behavior. Twice over the last couple of days, cats have hopped over the fence to get into our yard. One dropped onto the grass just as Gromit came out the back door; another was resting in the shady garden. Both times the cats got away after a frenzied chase around the yard. (Surprise must be working in their favour, as Gromit is a very, very fast runner)
Anyway, I'm not sure what to do here. Cats used to hang out in our yard, as we have a big tree that attracts a lot of birds, then stopped when we got the dog.
Now they're back, and since he leaves the house (more) quietly, he's catching them by surprise. Gromit's not aggressive, but being a dog, he loves a good chase.
Would a dog ever grab a cat, or is it about the big chase? I don't ever want to see any kitty hurt. However, this is Gromit's territory... I'd hate to think I have to keep him in the house to accommodate the other critters.
Any advice? Thanks.
Laurie

LavenderRott
September 2nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
I am sure that the cats will learn soon enough that your yard isn't such a great place to rest.

Candy jenny
September 2nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
If you see the cats in your yard, keep your dog inside and go outside and scare them away. Keep doing this until the cats do not come anymore. Then, Gromit can go outside to play. :thumbs up

chico2
September 2nd, 2007, 05:07 PM
Like CandyJenny,that's what I suggest...I have to scare a kitty away every day,before I take my 3 cats outside(supervised),because mine have a hizzyfit with strange cats.
We use the hose,sounds bad,but we never hosed a strange cat down,they run just from the sound of water.
I believe a dog can hurt or kill a cat,if he catches it,even if he is a sweet dog..

Jim Hall
September 3rd, 2007, 10:26 AM
Water the cats frequently :D make some noise when you let the dog out

E: e ventually the cats will get the idea

Look at it this way all 3 species are getting thier exercise