Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Which chewing toys are ok?

DobieOwner
May 18th, 2004, 06:23 PM
I have a 2 year old Doberman I got from a rescue organization earlier this year. He needs to chew, but I've heard that both Greenies and rawhide can cause intestinal blockages. He rarely chews on his Nylabone, and he only plays with his Kong until the treats are gone, or he's bored - he doesn't chew on it. I've also heard bad things about giving him beef bones, and I don't like the idea of beef on my carpets :-)

Can anyone give me ideas on what he can chew to keep his teeth clean & strong, and relieve boredom?
Kris

Lucky Rescue
May 18th, 2004, 06:27 PM
The best thing to give your dog is raw bones. This is good for him, will keep his teeth clean, and will satisfy the urge to chew that dogs have.

If getting anything on your carpet bothers you, give it to him in the kitchen or some other place that has no carpet. Or put down an old comforter or bedspread for him to chew on.

My dog loves marrow, knuckle and beef rib bones. She has no interest in chewing anything that is not edible, and I don't like giving her rawhide.

RAW only.

Luba
May 18th, 2004, 06:28 PM
:D

Great for you getting a rescued dobie

Ditto on the raw bones!

Bill & Bob
May 18th, 2004, 06:56 PM
When you say raw bones, do you mean right from the butcher not smoked? Just wondering because wouldn't you have to take them away from the pooch after a day just in case bacteria started to build up? Seriously, this might sound like a stupid question but I haven't given Bob a raw bone yet. Tried the dentabones, but that lasted about 3 minutes tops. He's got some smokie knuckle bones lying about that he goes at every day for a while.

I gave him one smokie knuckle bone a while back, but I think it had some abnormal amount of marrow in it or something because after about an hour of chewing it was only half the size as when I gave it to him. He was ravenous on this thing. There were definitely parts of it missing. I think I posted about this before. No word of a lie, when Bob took a poop the next day it was almost powder it was so dry. I was kind of worried, but someone told me that smokie bones do that to dogs.

DobieOwner
May 18th, 2004, 07:05 PM
So is it true that Greenies and rawhide are bad? Can I give him cooked beef bones to solve the bacteria problem? I'll have to get creative to limit him to one spot with the bone, he likes to tote his chewy's around the house!
Kris

Lucky Rescue
May 18th, 2004, 07:12 PM
No cooked bones! Cooked bones shatter and splinter and can cause internal problems.

If you give him a nice fresh meaty bone, it won't hang around long enough to get rotten or have bacteria, believe me! Your dogs will work on it until not a scrap of meat or marrow remains.

The urge to chew bones is a basic need of dogs, and I would never deny it out of any personal distaste I may feel. When you see the pleasure they get from this, you won't hesitate to feed them more often.

Smoked bones have way too much salt, nitrates, etc. and fresh is so much better for them.

cmt489
May 18th, 2004, 07:22 PM
LMAO LR since Oliver only deems them proper to eat after they have "aged" on the hallway carpet for at least half a day :eek: Then look-out bone is toast (or at least chewed on insesently)!! :D I have a friend come over who always asks if I am running a small cow graveyard in my condo... :rolleyes: This of course, does not include chicken since he cannot resist chicken and snaps up his wings, drumstick, neck/back whatever in a matter of minutes!

Michelle

Lucky Rescue
May 18th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Chloe knows she isn't allowed dragging bones all over the place, and as soon as she sees me take one out of the fridge, she runs to her bed, where she eats it.

She would never leave one lying around, as she's afraid one of the cats would get it.:p

Luba
May 18th, 2004, 07:53 PM
RawHIDE bones are dangerous, can cause intestinal blockage and stomach problems ...surgery has been necessary in some situations.

Greenies I can't stand...everyone thinks they're healthy but look at the ingredients. May as well let ur dog chew on some Irish Spring lmao

RAW BONES RULE

edited..I forgot the HIDE OOPSE

MBRA518
May 18th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Raw bones are dangerous, can cause intestinal blockage and stomach problems ...surgery has been necessary in some situations.

Opps I think you meant raw hide... :D

I'm not familier with green bones, but the reason rawhide is dangerous is if the dog gets a large enough piece of raw hide pulled off and swallows it, it can cause big problems, the internal ones that luba mentioned as well as choking . If you want to use rawhide get the partical like ones ( they look like pressed board :rolleyes: ) the parts are not big enough to choke the dog or cause belly problems.

If you use raw bones, the "soup" bones from the grocery store or butcher are great as they have lots of marrow. Many butchers will also sell smoked bones, much cheaper to buy from them then a pet store.

I personally give my dog the smoked ones - smoking is ok as the process doesn't get hot like cooking, so it doesn't make the bone brittle. If you are in the TO area, there is a butcher at the pickering markets and one at the Courtice market that have great smoked bones for 2-5 dollars - the $5 one is huge.

Luba
May 18th, 2004, 08:11 PM
DUH @ME lmfhoooooooooooooooooooooo

I was typing fast AI was on!!! LOL

Greenies is mostly glycerine LR
They package it and make it look 'au naturale' like it's something healthy and good for your dog. I'm surprised the dogs don't fart/poop bubbles....
lol

did that make up for me forgetting the HIDE

Tan my HIDE ya'll :eek:

Goldenmom
May 18th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Ditto on the raw bones! We buy them from our local butcher and when the meat is all chewed off the marrow bones, we fill them with cheez whiz, peanut butter, honey (small amount) and stuff it with cheerios or some other non-fattening treat. You can virtually try anything. Then the trick is to Freeze them! It takes them longer to get the goodies out.

You can also do this with a Kong. Put yogurt etc. in them and freeze them overnight. It will take longer for them to finish it. I give my girls the bones only outside or in the kitchen. They do make a mess, but well worth it!

Heather

Luba
May 18th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Ya great idea Heather :D

I also freeze cubes of broth from stew/soups that I make for Sadie.
NOTE they are not 'seasoned' just plain broth from when I make 'her' meals.

Lucky Rescue
May 18th, 2004, 10:34 PM
I also recycle the marrow bones. I hammer a dog biscuit and other goodies in it. Chloe loves it.:)

mizzlittle
May 19th, 2004, 04:33 AM
I've done that with peanut butter, cheese and dog biscuit treats that I made from their dry dog food and fill the Kong up with it and freeze it out they go to the back and chew and throw the kong around until they get what they want - it occupies her for hours so I can get my thesis done! Never tried yogurt does it get sticky and messy - the girls have long hair that is serious grooming material so the thoughts of anything that will get stuck in it scares me!

DobieOwner
May 20th, 2004, 07:28 PM
i got him a knuckle bone and gave it to him in the yard. Whe n I was ready to come back in the house I called him but he wouldn't come, so I went to him and touched his head. He gave me a serious warning growl. Now that he's decided to guard this resource, how do I deal with that?

I finally put his leash on him and he came into the house with the bone in his mouth. He dropped it by the door, I praised him and gave him a goodie, and put the bone in the fridge. But I really don't want him threatening me every time I approach him when he has the bone!

Goldenmom
May 20th, 2004, 07:53 PM
This issue with the bone is very, very common. I have seen it many times myself. You will find that the sweetest, most gentle, never growling, showing any aggression whatsover, dog, will do this.

You will find the "trade" will work well. Have something that he really really likes, and ask for a trade. Pick the bone up and pretend you are eating it and return it.

Heather

Luba
May 20th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Great stuff Heather thats what I was gonna suggest as well.

A trade off for a lovely piece of yummie chicken or steak!! This way giving up his bone comes to know that only good things happen.

Reward him and say good boy as well, nice pat etc...

puppy_love
May 21st, 2004, 08:10 AM
Hello dog owners, I have a 13 wk, texas rednose pitbull, and he loves to chew! Raw hide is the worst thing I was told we could give our dogs to chew, as pieces of it can break off and get logged in their insides. SOOOO i found the right toy to please my puppy chew on everything problem. It can be found in most pet stores, it is hard rubber and is shaped like a tire (of course a lot smaller. lol) Angus loves it!!!! and i love that the price does not raise the roof. I also put his rope toys in the freezer, this helps the gums especially when they are losing their milk teeth, and they chew for hours! :)

mastifflover
May 21st, 2004, 08:38 AM
I have an English Mastiff and he can chew through anything in no time his favorite is giant pigs ears, but they only last about 5 minutes. I also freeze the raw bones he loves them and they actually last about a day or two. In the summer I put them back in the freezer at night and give it back in the morning. Restuffing them with rollover or cheese is a big hit.

Luba
May 21st, 2004, 10:05 AM
I freeze mine too mastiff , great idea

Heather MH
May 21st, 2004, 03:10 PM
Ok I read it all, but I still have one question.
I buy the pups soup bones and them put them in the oven.
Can I just give them to them raw?
I don't know to me that sounds unhealthy, but I really don't have a clue when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks
Heather

MBRA518
May 22nd, 2004, 08:05 AM
Ok I read it all, but I still have one question.
I buy the pups soup bones and them put them in the oven.
Can I just give them to them raw?
I don't know to me that sounds unhealthy, but I really don't have a clue when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks
Heather

Yes.... it is better to give them raw - cooking the bone will cause it to be brittle and it can spinter and cause big problems.

It sounds unhealthy to you - but not the dog... dogs are meant to eat raw meat and as long as you store them in the fridge or freezer - the meat will not last long enough to go bad. :)