Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What else...but barking..

trentchef
September 1st, 2007, 08:40 PM
Ben is 9 months old and has 2 types of bark.

1st - his someone is at the door or around the house that shouldn't be.
This one starts with a low growl from his boots and leads to a bark.

When he does this, regardless of the time of day or night, we get up to investigate and check things out.

Yes, we tell him that he was a good boy for alerting us.

2nd - his "look at me, am I not the most beautiful thing you have ever seen" bark.
This is the one, when I am on the phone, or watching a movie or doing something other than playing with him, he uses.

This is the one that drives me NUTS!! - This will happen whether or not we are just back from an hour walk, played with his ball or whatever.

How can I stop the barking for the 2nd bark, but still keep the alerting bark?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

:wall:

mummummum
September 1st, 2007, 09:00 PM
I culled this from another thread on barking dogs, it's worth a read:

Not sure if this article will help you at all: http://www.dogstardaily.com/article/excessive-barking but it goes by the principle that in order to teach a dog to stop barking, you first have to teach it to bark on command... Good luck!

t.pettet
September 1st, 2007, 10:07 PM
I appreciate a warning bark but when its for attention or just to vocalize at the clouds, stars etc. that is annoying. I use a pop can, put some pennies in and seal the opening with tape. When its shaken it startled my dogs to the point I'd have their complete attention, after adding a loud NO they got the message. If their warning bark goes on too long all I have to do is pick up the can and they quiet down.

trentchef
September 3rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
:thumbs up

I followed the advice here and put his old choker into a pepsi can and taped it up.

One shake and I have his attention and merely tell him, ssshh and quiet, and now, touch wood, he goes and lays down beside me!

Day 2 and it is working and hopefully will continue.

Thanks again for the input!

mummummum
September 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
That's terrific ~ keep up the good work !!

allymack
September 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
thats awesome, i am definately going to have to give this a try!

allymack
September 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM
wow! it works so well, conviently right after i made enzo decided to start barking ( what are the chances haha) i gave the can one shake and look at me like what the heck are you doing and he just sat quietly and he looked out at what ever he was barking at againa nd did one little yip and i picked up the can and didnt shake it and he just stopped and walked away..haha amazing! good suggestion

t.pettet
September 4th, 2007, 11:37 PM
This shake can has worked so well for me with my (now 5 )barkey furballs that even when the small deer herd goes through the property (usually at 7:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.) after just 1 small woof all I have to do is announce "quit or mummy will get the can" and they'll just sit, acknowledge my presence, and wistfully watch the deer saunter by. No shock collars, me yelling to be heard above the frenzy of barking, citronella sprays, or whistles. Power to all you dog mums.