Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Questions about dog eating grass

mika140
September 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM
My dog doesn't eat much grass, but tries to sneak a blade or two a couple times a week. When he does eat the grass, his stool afterwards is very loose/diarrhea. I'm frustrated because after six months I finally seem to have him on a food that works for him, but now he's having some continued stool problems because of the grass.

Someone had told me that dogs eat grass when they have an upset stomach because it is basically an effort to get rid of their stomach contents (through vomiting or diarrhea).......is this true? I had thought my dog ate the grass out of boredom or something and that it was the cause of his upset stomach. Anyone know how this works? And anything I can do to stop it (I've been pulling it out of his mouth quickly, but he still ingests a piece by the time I get to him).

Also, would feeding him yogurt with his meal help to ward off the diarrhea if it is caused by the grass? (I thought perhaps there was bacteria with the grass that the yogurt might help to deal with).

mummummum
September 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM
I don't think there is a definitive answer as to why dog's eat grass (and leaves) at some times and not others. But, if your dog is only getting down one blade of grass ~ I'm thinking that grass is not causing the loose stools. It is possible that he could be reacting to grass which was VERY recently sprayed with chemical pesticides or fertilizers. Perhaps he is drinking from a puddle of water left standing? Lots of bad bugs in there !

Yoghurt will help to establish good gut flora which leads to better digestion of food and absorption of nutrients. So ~ it can only help.

Can I suggest that if you haven't already, teach your dog the "Leave It" command and apply that to grass and puddles (along with discarded food / food wrappers :rolleyes: ? (I have a Hoover of a dawg so Leave It is spoken a gajillion times on our walks :D )

mika140
September 2nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info. He does know a leave-it command, which works very well for foreign objects. It's just difficult with the grass because the majority of our yard is grass and he's so quick that once he goes for a blade of grass, it's too late. I still tell him to leave it and he won't eat any more, but sometimes he'll swallow the piece he got before I can get it out of his mouth. He seems to eat it when he's not sure what to do.....he can be goofy sometimes.

Sounds like the yogurt should help though.....and maybe he'll get tired of me shoving my hand in his mouth to remove the grass :)

mummummum
September 2nd, 2007, 11:00 PM
He seems to eat it when he's not sure what to do.....he can be goofy sometimes.

He's not alone in that ~ I have a whole houseful for goofy some days :laughing: