Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog having problems with back legs

andy01
September 1st, 2007, 01:24 AM
i have a german shepard who is 7 years old, every time he lays down then he is having problem getting up with his back legs. some times he doesn't even want to get up.

growler~GateKeeper
September 1st, 2007, 02:39 AM
good time to take the dog in to the vet for x-rays to see if he has arthritis

Stewart
September 1st, 2007, 04:15 AM
Andy,Earlier this year my 7 yr old shepard started showing signs of arthritis setting in like going up and down stairs and getting in and out of the car,even walking slower that usual when out on walks. I took her to the vet and he has now put her on a feed supplement. This supplement is called Synoquin and takes the form of capsuals you start your dog off on 3 a day for 6 weeks then drop the dose to 2 if there is improvement in the dogs movement and for a further 6 weeks if the condition is still under control you then go down to 1 a day. The idea is to find a maintenance dose for the animal. My dog has now been on 1 a day for 3 months and is back to her old self. Synoquin contains natural stuffs like Glucosamine.So if it turns out your pupps does have arthritis then this may be an option for you.

mummummum
September 1st, 2007, 12:08 PM
I agree ~ xrays are a must. In addition to arthritis GSD's are also very prone to dysplasia. This is a thread with more information on dysplasia if you are not familiar with it: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32964

SnowDancer
September 1st, 2007, 01:26 PM
Definitely to the vet for X-Rays and please report back on how your pup is doing.