Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Labrador help!!!

Elfox
September 1st, 2007, 12:44 AM
My husband and I recently adopted a beautiful black lab. The main problem that I would like advice on is the fact that she is completely uninterested in playing fetch! This seems really strange and abnormal for this breed, so I need help in "re-training" her to do what she should love to do!! She is also afraid of the water!! Well, to be honest, she doesn't like having a bath. Is this normal for every dog?

Thanks for your help and advice!

jiorji
September 1st, 2007, 12:50 AM
well regardless what books say, no two dogs have the same personality. This dog could just be different(=special). try to see what else he/she enjoys doing.:thumbs up

Longblades
September 1st, 2007, 12:01 PM
Bribery works wonders and most Labs are very food oriented. Then wean off the frequency of treats. I believe it is quite normal to dislike a bath but still love to swim. As already said though, dogs are different and not all Labs are fanatics about the water or retrieving. Mine isn't.

TMac
September 1st, 2007, 05:24 PM
Surprisingly, not all retrievers like to retrieve or love the water. How old is your new lab? As longblades says, labs are very food motivated so you'll probably be able to teach her to enjoy doing these things. My last dog was a lab and now I have a golden and both loved to swim but HATE the bath! :laughing:

Melinda
September 1st, 2007, 05:31 PM
both my labs had to be taught to "fetch", we started with "take it", then "give", then we'd roll it a bit and say "take it"......called her back and said "give" they were around a year before we could throw any distance for them *L* but water is a different story, they both love/loved their baths and swimming, to the point where if we were filling the tub and forgot to shut the door, we'd have wet dogs.

Elfox
September 1st, 2007, 06:02 PM
Moira is 3 years old and we are her third family. She also had grown up with her littermate sister and we were unable to take them both. I have a feeling that she is dealing with some depression and I feel very bad for her! I was hoping that playing would help her learn that we will be keeping her for the rest of her life and that we love her very much!! :p
I really appreciate all the advice and it gives me hope that she will come around. We will definitely try the food route and then working with her slowly.
I just hope that we can teach old dogs new tricks!!!:laughing: :laughing: :fingerscr

TMac
September 2nd, 2007, 10:48 AM
I just hope that we can teach old dogs new tricks!!!:laughing: :laughing: :fingerscr

Definitely! Labs are smart dogs :cloud9: Good luck and let us know how it goes! :thumbs up

Frenchy
September 2nd, 2007, 10:53 AM
Maybe nobody played with her before ? I had 3 goldens (1 past away) none of them will fetch and only 2 of them liked the water (only in a lake) but not to swim :shrug: It can take up to a year before you can see the real "her". She' ll get happier and comfier with time. :dog:

Nancyrb
September 2nd, 2007, 04:01 PM
Over the years we have been blessed to raise two very different Golden Retrievers. Lyssa who was a reddish Golden was game for everything, riding in cars, fetching, swimming and she lived to age 10. Our next Golden was a very blond Golden and we adopted her at age 4 months and she was very timid, hated the car....only would lie on the floor, liked to fetch, but did not want to bring the frisby or stick back LOL She did love swimming though. Both dogs were so different, but both were amazing in every way. Each one had fabulous and distinctive personalities and were delightful special additions to our family. Emily lived to the age of 12. So my message is that a certain breed may be known to prefer specail activities, but they are all their own person and can easily not prefer something for their own reasons. LOL Good luck and enjoy!!

mybestfriendjet
September 4th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I had a gorgeous black lab, Jet, who was the same way with fetch. He would play for 4 or 5 throws, and then he was tired of going to get the ball/frisbee. Jet also didn't like baths too much, but he loved going in our pond down our farm. I think he just didn't like water being sprayed on him.:thumbs up

Ford Girl
September 5th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Hi, my retriever won't retrieve, we have tried it all...treats, trainer, repeating, doesn't matter, she won't bring it back. She shows much interest in the ball, we throw it, she runs like the wind, shoulder rolls on it and keeps going....she will pick it up and expect you to chase her with it.

She will retrieve 4 or 5 times in the yard or house, but never out and about. Oh well, she makes up for it with her action packed shoulder rolls!!! hahah!

Longblades
September 5th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Oh my, that gave me a start. My Black Lab girl is also named Jet. She's 14 and a half now and will always be my best friend too. Have to ask mybestfriendjet my standard name question; do you know what jet is?

growler~GateKeeper
September 6th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Hi, my retriever won't retrieve..... She shows much interest in the ball, we throw it, she runs like the wind, shoulder rolls on it and keeps going....she will pick it up and expect you to chase her with it.

I had a Dal x Lab (granted he was more Dal :lovestruck: than Lab) he also would run for the ball/kong, pick it up, bring it back once, I'd throw again he would pick it up and try to get me to chase him - that's what he liked much better :D

TeriM
September 6th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Sigh .... be careful what you wish for. I have a totally ball obsessed lab and the only thing better then a ball is when you combine a ball with water :) . It can definately get very tiresome ;) .

Shaykeija
September 6th, 2007, 03:23 AM
We used to raise hunting labs when I was a kid. They are so soft mouthed when retrieving. We used to have an obsessed lack Lab named Tammi that would retrieve banty chickens. She never hurt them but she sure freaked them out. We let them roam free and Tammi always managed to carry one around in her mouth. Nothing sadder than a banty chicken covered with doggie drool...:laughing:

Longblades
September 6th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Nothing sadder than a banty chicken covered with doggie drool

Oh yes there is something sadder. Our ESS was a highly trained gundog and fabulous retriever. I found she had slipped our yard and brought back one of the neighbour's duck's one day. Neighbour was not at all upset, wished his own dog (gee, it was a black lab too) would retrieve live birds. The duck was pretty indignant though. The sad part came when another neighbour's Siberian got loose and killed all the ducks.