Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grocery brand canned food better than none?

Mia101
August 31st, 2007, 08:28 PM
Canidae says dog's should have 25% canned food. Well, I flat can't afford that much Canidae canned, although she is on the dry.

So my question: is Alpo canned better than no canned, or is it so bad she's better off having canned only every other week at the most?

CyberKitten
August 31st, 2007, 08:34 PM
I don't like any dry food at all to be frank - most dry food has too many carbs and other ingredients animals do not need or use that much. So my honest answer to your question is never to use that Godawful stuff that is generic. If you are thinking about it from a financial stand point, you will lose in the end because you will pay for it in vet bills from the illnesses caused by the lack of good nutrition (if you feed her grocery chain food). From a medical point of view, it is even worse!!! I would not even buy food from a grocery store much less their generic brands. Have you considered cooking for your dog yourself? That might be cheaper and healthier once you learn all about canine nutrition - supplementing the canned food I mean?

mummummum
August 31st, 2007, 08:35 PM
Personally, I would never feed Alpo. If you have an inexpensive butcher in the neighbourhood, perhaps you can get some organ meats or buy cheaper cuts of meat in bulk and do some homecooking. It should work out to be far less expensive than canned anything.

Mia101
August 31st, 2007, 10:21 PM
I don't like any dry food at all to be frank - most dry food has too many carbs and other ingredients animals do not need or use that much. So my honest answer to your question is never to use that Godawful stuff that is generic. If you are thinking about it from a financial stand point, you will lose in the end because you will pay for it in vet bills from the illnesses caused by the lack of good nutrition (if you feed her grocery chain food). From a medical point of view, it is even worse!!! I would not even buy food from a grocery store much less their generic brands. Have you considered cooking for your dog yourself? That might be cheaper and healthier once you learn all about canine nutrition - supplementing the canned food I mean?

I don't use anything generic. Canidae dry is a premium food. I won't feed grocery store food either, except perhaps some of the canned.

rainbow
September 1st, 2007, 06:34 PM
I would not use grocery store canned food either. I agree with MX3 and would supplement with human meat and cooked veggies. :pawprint: