Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog's cough

myboxer2007
August 31st, 2007, 09:56 AM
Hi there, my dog chew on a quilted (padded) blanket (two days ago) and now when he gets excited he is coughing. :frustrated: He doesn't seem sick, he didn't lost his appetite, his is vital, full of energy, just the cough bothers me a bit. He also had a looser stool. But with the stool it happened already once before when he destroyed his new soft toy and digested some of the fluff. He got runs and pooped it out. I was wondering what to do about the cough. Would a "furball" paste help him out? He might digest probably some of the padding in the blanket. I would appreciate some help. Thank you!

jessi76
August 31st, 2007, 10:21 AM
I think a trip to the vet is your best bet. if you dog ingested something, it may need to be removed, or it could be a genuine cough that needs treatment. only a vet will be able to diagnose and suggest a treatment. at this point, I would NOT give your dog anything without consulting a professional - you don't want to make it any worse.

myboxer2007
August 31st, 2007, 12:15 PM
Thank you. Going with him today afternoon! He just went to do his stuff outside and his stool is solid again. Thank God! :thumbs up
He's absolutely horrible with chewin things. He destroyed tons of blankets, dog pillows etc. As soon as I leave him alone, he gets bored, never mind his chewing bones, deta bones and kong toys that he can't damage in any way (yet). When he is with us, he is such a sweet and obedient dog, but as long as we leave him alone it is like a revenge from him. But he doesn't destroy things only when he is alone, sometimes he wakes up during the night and destroys his pillows next to my bed. I tried to crate him when I can't be with him but he gets crazy and cries lile a baby (he is still a baby at only 9 months old). I don't know how to explain him not to tear his blankets and pillows apart.:cry:

jessi76
August 31st, 2007, 12:48 PM
a 9 mth old pup needs to be TRAINED not to chew things up, not "explained to". puppies need training, routine, consistant RULES, and supervision. if you can't supervise, you should absolutely crate or contain him somehow. next time he may chew up and ingest something that can (and will) really damage him. that "something" may require surgery to be removed. for your dog's safety, train him to not chew your things, and contain him. there are MANY MANY MANY threads in the training section on both subjects... how to start crate training, how to teach leave it and prevent chewing... take a look around.

Love4himies
August 31st, 2007, 01:23 PM
I don't own a dog, but I do know a extremely reputable boxer breeder who crates all her dogs who chew for their safety while she is not home to supervise, no execptions!

mummummum
August 31st, 2007, 08:59 PM
I agree and suggest that you do a search using the keywords "crate training" and "separation anxiety".

How did you make out at your Vet check ?