Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chihuahua Coughing

Phil chain
August 30th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I have a two year old Chihuahua and he has a hacking cough. I took him to the vet and he checked him and said he had allergies. He gave him two shots in two days and it quit. However two weeks later he has it again. I gave him a sliver of Benadryl -D last night and he quit coughing all night. Will this hurt him if I give it to him for a few days and then stop to see if it helps.

luckypenny
August 30th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Welcome to Pets.ca Phil Chain. Personally, I wouldn't give human medications to a dog (or any animal) without a vet's 'go-ahead' with the proper dosage. Some medications can be quite harmful to pets. When you state, "I took him to the vet and he checked him and said he had allergies," what exactly did the vet do to confirm this diagnosis and rule out others?

mummummum
August 31st, 2007, 12:22 AM
And is there something you can do to change his environment or food to remove the allergen?

Also, has he been vaccinated for Bordatella ?

Chihuahualover
August 31st, 2007, 03:11 PM
Allergies are extremely common in toy breeds. We have had toy breeds for years, including a 3 yo Chi and 1 yo Chi mix now. Both have some food allergiess, esp. the mix. Most likely it is due to something he is eating. What do you feed him? Things to avoid would be soy, corn, and wheat.

Benadryl is safe to give occasionally, but it will give him a dry mouth, and make him sleepy. Speaking from experience, the dose for dogs is 1mg per pound of weight. The easiest, safest way to give it (and recommended by our vets) is children's liquid, without alcohol or added preservatives or other ingreidents.

Mypetsrmykids
September 2nd, 2007, 03:27 PM
I think I would have a heartworm test to rule that out if your vet has not done so. I had to push my vet to do the test because my poodle was coughing and the test came out positive. I didn't have my dog on heartworm preventative because I didn't want to put pesticides in his body every month but if you live in a heavy mosquito area, I guess you don't have a choice. Some vets just jump to the conclusion that it's allergies without fully checking it out.