Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

PetSmart/Petco

EdwinBird
August 30th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I apologize if this has been discussed. I did a search and didn't really come up with much.

I live in a city of 115,000 or so, there's a PetSmart and a Petco but after reading this forum (and doing some other research) it appears that I'll have to drive about two hours to St Louis if I want to find a store that sells quality dog food. It seems ridiculous to me that these pet stores wouldn't stock quality food. It appears if I want to go to these pet stores the best foods I can get are Royal Canin or Natural Balance...

I guess I'll be ordering my dog food online.

Maybe I'm complaining about nothing, but this just seems so silly to me.

Jim Hall
August 30th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I have the same problem in new jersey out of 7 stores in the area
one has the food i want I am doing the same thing ordering on line.

Maybe its because the higher quality food producers spend thier money on
the ingerdiants instead of marketing

Frenchy
August 30th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I have the same problem. (but I now have a kibble "pusher" :D thanks LP) It's very rural here and good (more expensive) food would not sell here. You could ask the stores near you if they would order some good food just for you, it's worth a try !

want4rain
August 30th, 2007, 10:14 PM
if im not a lucky girl, not only is organic eats for us human folks rather easy to find here but good quality pet food along with a really cool mexican butcher (lemme tell ya, they have EVERYTHING) is all within a few miles of my little country home with its cute if rather dry creek running through it. :cool:

:thumbs up why dont ya move out this way? :D

-ashley

mummummum
August 31st, 2007, 01:13 AM
Oh Want4Rain you don't want to open that can o' worms with a bunch of Canucks DO YOU ???? :D

EdwinBird, although I live in a huge city with every imaginable dog food available but, I don't drive. With three large dawgs, I go through about 60 pounds of kibble and 12 cans of Green Tripe in a month (the treats I make myself!). So I buy at least 1 months worth at a time, sometimes two. You may find buying in bulk less expensive than having it shipped (including gas) ~ just pay attention to expiry dates if you do buy in bulk.

Isolde
August 31st, 2007, 10:02 AM
IMO these companies are in the business of making money NOT helping pets :lightbulb: .

I worked for a superpet for many years (loved the animals enough to take the crap of a salary they were paying :wall: ) and I was surprised by many of the decisions that were taken Also I know for a fact that my store at least was told to push hagen food (ie nutrience dog and cat food as well as all other hagen products) and dismiss foods like wellness and merick that were the best u were able to find.

:pawprint:

want4rain
August 31st, 2007, 12:32 PM
Oh Want4Rain you don't want to open that can o' worms with a bunch of Canucks DO YOU ???? :D

*chuckles* yeah i had a joke about gods hand and Michigan (my birth state) and so on.... passed on posting it here!!! i think Canadian blood is too thick to make it here. you guys would boil coming off the plane. :D

our local PetSmart (or Petco... can never remember which) is really good at ordering what we want in treats. maybe you could see if they can start getting Merrick or Wellness?? we have used a little Eagle Pack, plan on going in sometime next week to see if they can get it for us.

-ashley

want4rain
August 31st, 2007, 12:37 PM

*chuckles* yeah i had a joke about gods hand and Michigan (my birth state) and so on.... passed on posting it here!!! i think Canadian blood is too thick to make it here. you guys would boil coming off the plane. :D

our local PetSmart (or Petco... can never remember which) is really good at ordering what we want in treats. maybe you could see if they can start getting Merrick or Wellness?? we have used a little Eagle Pack, plan on going in sometime next week to see if they can get it for us.

-ashley

Kristin7
August 31st, 2007, 12:57 PM
Cool, Michigan is my birth state too!

I also have been disappointed with PetSmart and Petco food choices. They have better choices for cat litter, though. One chain pet store I have found all the good brands at, is called Pet Supplies Plus. The one near me even has raw food... http://www.petsuppliesplus.com/ Unfortunately they don't have any stores in Missouri, though.

Kristin7
August 31st, 2007, 01:02 PM
oops, I see you are in Central IL. There are stores in IL, mostly in the Chicago area, and there is one west of Springfield, near the Missouri state line.

EdwinBird
August 31st, 2007, 06:55 PM
Thanks, I'll check out that one in Quincy (it's about a 2 hour drive, but I've got a few friends in Quincy I visit semi-regularly).

I guess my best bet will just to buy in bulk then. I suppose that's not really a big deal.