Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is multiple cases of FIP common in one household?

jowilson002
August 30th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Hi,

As most of you already know, I lost a cat to suspected FIP on August 4. I have since taken all of the cats to the vet and it is suspected that 3 others now have FIP. Despite the fact that they are litter mates isn't it a bit unusual for so many in one household to have FIP.

2 of the 3 with high Coronavirus titers now have normal cbc's and chem panels after being on Clavamox, Prednisilone, Denamarin, and Amino b plex for a month.

If they truly have the disease and not just the virus wouldn't they get worse instead of better?

The sick cats have been isolated and are kept well away from the healthy ones.

I have also undertaken a massive decontamination of my household. The whole place smells like bleach or spray disinfectant.

Thanks Again,

Jennifer W.

punkyamberlea
August 30th, 2007, 07:10 PM
It is not known how FIP is spread to other cats. So i would say that yes it is very common for it to spread to all of the cats. Sorry to hear the bad news. AMber

Dr Lee
August 31st, 2007, 12:09 PM
FIP transmission. This is a handout from Dr. Alice Wolf, DVM, DipACVIM, ABVP (Fe).

She states as follows:
FIP: Transmission

EPIZOOTIOLOGY

FCoV is shed in the secretions and excretions of infected cats. Feces and oropharyngeal secretions are the most likely sources of infectious virus because large quantities of FCoV are shed from these sites early in the course of infection, usually before clinical signs of FIP appear. Infection is acquired from acutely infected cats by the fecal-oral, oral-oral, or oral-nasal route.

Contrary to earlier reports10, recent evidence suggests that FCoV is relatively stable in the environment. Dried virus in a 21o C (70o F) environment can remain infectious for at least six weeks.9 Under ideal conditions, fomites and environmental contamination may be sources of contagion for several months. Fortunately, FCoV is readily destroyed by most common disinfectants and detergents and thorough cleaning will substantially reduce the concentration of infectious virus.

FIP affects both wild and domestic cats. In domestic cats, males and females are affected equally but the incidence of FIP is age related and biphasic. Cats 6 to 12 months of age have the highest incidence, probably because of exposure and infection of young, susceptible individuals. FIP remains fairly common in cats up to 5 years of age but there is a noticeable decline in the incidence of disease in middle age. FIP incidence increases again in cats over 13 years10, perhaps due to a decline in cell-mediated immunity (CMI) in these aged individuals.

FIP tends to affect cats bred and/or raised in catteries or multiple cat environments more frequently than those from single cat households. Multiple cat environments are more likely to contain shedding FCoV carrier cats and environmental sources of infectious virus resulting in prolonged exposure of susceptible kittens. Stress, crowding, poor sanitation, parasitism, and concurrent diseases, particularly immunosuppressive diseases such as feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV), may also increase the impact of FIPV on cats in these environments.Date Published: 6/27/2002

Kristin7
August 31st, 2007, 12:21 PM
There seems to be a lot of unknowns about this disease, and contradictory info. Just looking around on the internet, I read that cat-to-cat transmission is uncommon on one site and another stated the virus is most often contracted by passing between cats, usually through the litter box. One thing mentioned by most sites I checked was that this disease is rare and hard to diagnose. Also, in multi-cat households where the disease is present, it is not uncommon for multiple cats to carry the virus. Just because the cat tests positive, though, does not mean it will become sick. Minimizing stress on the cats seems to be important for these carriers of the virus. Sorry for your loss. :rip:

jowilson002
August 31st, 2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks for all of your feedback...I really appreciate your time.

I am trying my best to minimize the stress on my cats. But they make weekly visits to the Vet for CBC's. They hate going to the vet but they seem to be doing well.

I make sure to spend one on one time with each of them as often as possible althought sometimes that is only a couple of times per day. Then we have playtime every morning and every evening. They enjoy this.

I am not bringing any other cats or pets around at all. These were rescued cats and need all the attention that I can give them.

I am feeding other strays outside and finding homes for them. Just this week one of my students (a mature - responsible adult) took one of the strays into her home. She is very responsible and recently lost a dog to illness. She will take good care of him and he will get regular vet. visits.

They are all eating well and behaving normally.:pray:

Thanks again,

Jennifer W.:cat:

chico2
August 31st, 2007, 04:58 PM
You certainly are a kitty:angel: thank's for caring for these little guys and the ones outside,I hope your sick kitties will do well:pray:

Kristin7
August 31st, 2007, 06:13 PM
You sound like an absolute kitty saint, that's awesome of you to help them! :fingerscr that none of the others develop the disease ever!