Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yahoo Photos shutting down

growler~GateKeeper
August 30th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Anyone who uses Yahoo Photos please read this article, the site is shutting down Sept 20, if you have any photos stored on this site you must download or buy a CD with you images before this date or they will be lost & not retrievable. It doesn't mention Yahoo Videos but if you use this site it's best to check to see if that is shutting down too. :)

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/travel/story.html?id=1c5b12d6-9160-49a5-9c4b-f6f35883cc2d

CyberKitten
August 30th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I rec;d an email about this and was not too thrilled. I have photos on Yahoo and have to find time to take them down, sigh!!! I guess Flickr is taking over the Yahoo part of this for Yahoo. I had started using KodakGallery.com which is good too - free also.

growler~GateKeeper
August 30th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Must do it before the 20 of Sept or you can't get your pics back - did your email mention anything about Yahoo Video?

CyberKitten
August 30th, 2007, 11:37 PM
No, it didn't Growler tho I admittedly do not have any videos on Yahoo. I think that is a different section but I could be mistaken. I should do it this w/e so I do not loose them. (rather than as per usual, leave it to the last minute, lol)

otter
August 30th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Ugh :frustrated: That's horrible that they'd just shut it down like that.

I use Picassa (part of Google), pretty good from what i've found and free (as all things Google are) and you have the choice of having photos that everyone can view and those that you can limit viewing to those who you invite.

glitterless
August 31st, 2007, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the heads up, growler! I had no idea. I almost never use my Yahoo account now and have some photos up there that I don't want to lose.

marko
August 31st, 2007, 09:21 AM
Sorry to hear that - I know it's a hassle and I know quite a few people that are really frustrated about this.

One of the advantages of uploading to our server instead of using a 3rd party service, is that this simply won't happen. The addresses have never changed or moved in the 6 years or so that the BB has been online, so not a single photo has ever been lost.

Marko