Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Just want to vent!

cheribob
August 30th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Well, it is official - I am now certifiably crazy! I just got my third cat for a total of 5 animals! The cat belonged to my Aunt who passed away last Feb. Since then the cat has been alone in my Aunt's house. None of my 3 cousins (my Aunt's children) would take her. :cry:

So like the big softie I am I took her. She is a DLH silver & white w/white spot on her back & white blaze on face & gold eyes. Her name is Twinkle & she is about 12 years old. She is a real sweetie. All she wants is to have someone pet her.

What makes me really angry is that my Aunt gave a sum of money to one of the kids to take the cat. The kid (some kid - he is 50 yrs old!) took the money but not the cat.

My DH is not too happy. He is afraid (with reason) that I will be overwhelmed by all the animals I have. He is concerned b/c my Mom has already been trying to get me to take HER two cats! Argh! Plus my sister & my niece are totally irresponsible when it comes to getting & discarding animals. My niece has a dog right now. We are laying bets as to how soon she will discard it like she did her cat (the cat lasted two years).

I just hope my Aunt's cat will get along with my other two. I feel bad because they all require so much love! And they get jealouse of each other. If one cat is on my lap the other one decides she needs love too. Now I will have a third cat needing love.

Except for my female Maltese, Muffin (age 15) all my animals are rescues.

Casey I adopted from his original owners when he was 18 months old. He was a present to the original family. But the family did not have any time for him. Casey is now 15 years old also.

Meuie, my Siamese is 10 years old. I adopted him from the local shelter 7 years ago.

MiMi, a white DSH, is about 24 years old. I inherited her from my former BIL. He was going to have her PTS b/c new wife was allergic. I have had MiMi for 4 years!

Now I have Twinkle.

This incident has made me decide to set up a trust for my animals. I am sure my Aunt believed that her son would take care of her cat after she died. But once she died & he got the money..... he did not.:frustrated:

Well, I told my DH that this was my mitzvah.

Sorry for such a long post. I know I was rambling but I had to get it out.

want4rain
August 30th, 2007, 06:48 AM
if this is your Mitzvah, then it is your Mitzvah. who is anyone to question that. ;)

more importantly!!! you have a 24yo cat!! WOW!!

-ashley

badger
August 30th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Auntie is looking down on you right now, in gratitude. A pox on her family, especially the 50-year old nitwit who made the commitment. Continue to be outspoken, please, it is the best tool we have.

Jim Hall
August 30th, 2007, 08:05 AM
it souinds like you have a mitzvah every day

What's a "DH" ?

sugarcatmom
August 30th, 2007, 09:00 AM
What's a "DH" ?

Darling (or Damn, depending on the situation :D ) Husband.

ancientgirl
August 30th, 2007, 09:23 AM
My goodness, what shocked me the most was your BIL wanting to put an animal down just because his wife was allergic!

Good luck to you and all of your animals. You have a beautiful heart.

Love4himies
August 30th, 2007, 09:35 AM
What a wonderful person you are with such a big heart. And what are you feeding the 24 year old????

If your cousin had any ounce of integrity he would hand over the money to you.

We love to look at pet pictures, can you post any for us?

Also, what is a Mitzvah?

krdahmer
August 30th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Bless you for taking the cat. :grouphug:

And I second the photo request!

Dracko
August 30th, 2007, 10:32 AM
You aren't that "crazy." I have FIVE cats and a dog. :laughing:

Frenchy
August 30th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Auntie is looking down on you right now, in gratitude.

I second that. She must be proud of you. As for the "kid" taking the money and not the cat , what goes around comes around !

mummummum
August 30th, 2007, 12:33 PM
...As for the "kid" taking the money and not the cat , what goes around comes around !

...and when it does come around may it bite him and bite him HARD :evil:

What a generous soul you are cheribob ~ this is indeed a wonderful mitzvah!

(Love4himmies my understanding is that a mitzvah is both a commandment itself and an act of human kindness and part of being a "good" Jew is to do alot of mitzvahs)

Love4himies
August 30th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks mummummum.

CyberKitten
August 30th, 2007, 10:03 PM
A 50 year old kid??? I am a pediatrician so know something about kids - mostly the fact that I sometimes still act like one but the vast majority of children I know would take the cat and use the money to care for the cat!!! So this guy gives all us kids- young and old - a bad name!! Gawd, what a... I won't say it here.

And no, you are not crazy. I started with one cat - after having
cats and dogs and bunnies all my life - and now have four. So welcome to the multiple cat owner club. The more the merrier is a great motto you know! :)

Congrats on the new family member - I also have Siamese. What kind is yours. I have one Blue Point male and one Seal Point diva who is the alpha cat is the house.

cheribob
August 31st, 2007, 12:18 AM
I guess I will finally have to learn how to upload photos from my digital camera!LOL! I have a great pic of all 4 furkids sleeping on the sofa together.

Love4himmies, I was feeding her Fancy Feast & Purina One for Senior cats. But I recently switched her to Nature's Variety Frozen Raw Chicken Medallions. She really likes the raw.

Ancientgirl, MiMi is the sweetest little thing. She probably doesn't even weigh 5 pounds. I love her so much. I used to beg my sister & BIL to let me have her. But they always said,"Oh, no, we love MiMi." She was so shy when I first got her. Now she is so bossy. And what a cry baby! When ever she wants something it is,"Mew, mew, mew, mew...."

Meuie is a seal point. He is a traditional apple head. He is so beautiful & his fur is as soft as a seal's. He is my lover boy. I am convinced that he is actually a man in cat's clothes. I tell DH that when he is gone Meuie & I spoon.

Right now Twinkle is still in the spare bedroom. I have started leaving the door open but she hasn't ventured out yet. I think she is afraid of the dogs. Every time she sees one walk by the door she dives back under the bed.

Dracko & Cyberkitten, thanks for letting me know that I am not alone. I am really concerned about having so many animals. I am starting to feel like the crazy cat lady. But with all of them being so old I know in a year or two some will most likely have passed on to the rainbow bridge.