Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with a stray cat?

lilyalex
August 30th, 2007, 04:08 AM
I live in Montreal, not far away from Jardin botanique. We own a condo on a ground level. A cat comes to our door almost every night. It's a male, about8-9 month old. He's nice, playful and wants to be petted very much.
:lovestruck:
I can NOT take it in (Family issues) But I'm giving him some food, and a lady from the next block does the same. I saw him sitting by her door.

This cat has no collar. Maybe I should put on him one? :lightbulb:

If yes so, could you, please suggest some text for such tag then?
:grouphug:
Thank you everybody!
:cat:

badger
August 30th, 2007, 05:12 AM
This is so sad. I live not far away from you and have managed to save a few cats, but there are always more than I can help. Thank you for feeding this girl, and worrying about her. If you feed her every day, that is already a big help.

Try these websites, in case someone is looking for her:

http://www.petfinder.com/post/classifiedhop.html
http://www.leuleu.qc.ca/
http://www.sergev.com/francais/frampfr.htm
http://www.canadastrays.com/search/...rov=QC&type=cat
http://www.flealess.org/lostpets/quebec.html
http://www.animalrescuenetwork.org/i...lay?PageID=991
http://www.rapt-lfpn.org/en/accueil.html

Do you have any friends or family who would be willing to adopt her? That would be the ideal. The fact that your own cats react to her is normal, but even if someone already has cats, it is not complicated to introduce another, you just have to do it slowly.

The SPCA is always full up and they euthanize freely, so I wouldn't take her there, if you can avoid it.

Would it be possible to post a picture?

lilyalex
August 30th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Thank you very much for the sites, I'll check them all!
(Already have bookmarked some)

But bigger THANKS for your moral support! :cat:

chico2
August 30th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Lilyalex,it would be good if you continue to feed her regularly,maybe you are her only foodsource and then,if:pray: someone is looking for her,she can be caught easily..
There are several people here,Badger included,who have introduced their own cats to strange ones,it is possible,with patience and love and a room to keep her in.
Good luck with this sad little girl..

Love4himies
August 30th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Thank you for feeding this poor kitty. She really needs the nutrition to survive as not all cats are good hunters.

Can you keep her in a separate room while looking for a more permanent home for her? How about somebody in your condo unit to foster it while looking for a forever home?

You are an :angel: for caring.

lilyalex
August 30th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Thank you a lot for your kind words. I would really love to take her if I'd live on my own and not with my big family. Anyway, I'll try to take care of that cat as much as I can.

jowilson002
August 30th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I introduced a new cat several years ago. For quite some time they hated each other (about 6 months)...then one day I came home and they were playing and then later took a nap together. Now they are inseperable.

Good Luck and thanks so much for taking care of her...

Jennifer W..

CyberKitten
August 30th, 2007, 09:57 PM
There are many good ways to introduce cats and even declawed cats will get along with non declawed ones. (I'll leave the declawed debate!) Is there any way you can take her in - once she trusts you - I do know working with ferals is also tricky but perhaps someone on the Board in Mtl can help. Many people I know capture ferals to have them spayed and then try to find good homes for them. Most ferals are not wild but cats people have abandoned and they need help - of course if you do bring her in, you cannot keep her initially with your cats until you have her seen by a vet. isolate her from your cats - which is good sense even if she is well and then gradually introduce them. But only if she gets a clean bill of health and after she has her vaccinations from a vet.

I do not live in Mtl but I can tell you what I would do if I were you. I would try to catch the cat and if traditional methods did not work - ie if she was too scared - I would use a cat friendly trap (ne that will not hurt her), place tuna or sardines, some smelly food in it - poutine is not such a bad idea actually (well minus the cheese and gravy which makes it not poutine I now, lol). Actually - stick to fish - tuna or sardines - and once you have her, bring her to a vet, If you have to wait overnight, place her in a sepeate room if yu have one or a bathroom maybe - a small place sometimes is better, they feel safer, less space to feel upset about. A true feral may spit and hiss and want to get out so you have to be very cautious but as I say, Many are not that feral - she may well be a pregnant cat whose "owner" abandoned her, one of those thoughtless creatures who did not say her and now refuses to care for her or the kittens or even at least take her to the vet for spay surgery so no kittens will happen, period! . In any case, it is wise to cover the "trap" or whatever you have to keep her in and play soft classical or light music. Talk or read tp her so she becomes accustomed to your voice. Feed her of course but not too much all at once. Her system may rebel against too much food at once tho some cats will wolf it all down. Make sure she has a clean litter box in her place and if she refuses to use it, try using dirt or gravel until she adjusts to what we use as litter but my guess if she is friendly with you is that she is used to litter and that is unlikely to be a problem. Then take her to the vet and have her checked out. If you are worried about the cost, explain the circumstances.

I am sure there must be an organization in Mtl that can help you if this is all seems overwhelming!

Bonne Chance!!!!

lilyalex
August 31st, 2007, 01:45 AM
Dear CyberKitten,

I would really love to take her in if I'd live on my own and not with my big family. It is the major problem - I don't have a space for her. :sorry:

I'll try to take care of that cat as much as I can.

However, tonight she did not show up, I prepared a camera to get her picture, but, as I mentioned before she's not here every day.

I hope, maybe she's just "walking-out" cat, but no collar, though.

Should I place one on her?
:shrug:
Maybe with some note?:lightbulb:

lilyalex
September 2nd, 2007, 02:53 AM
:) Thank you everybody!

Yesterday I saw the cat sitting next to a door in the next block. :cat: I asked the lady inside: "Is it your cat?" :pawprint: She said:No, but I feed her regulary!" :cloud9: I answered: "Me too!" :highfive:

chico2
September 2nd, 2007, 07:06 AM
At least some people care and she gets fed,the problem is the very cold Montreal winter is only a few months away:sad: hope she has a home by then:pray:

CyberKitten
September 2nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
At least two people are feeding her but she will need a warm place for the winter. Perhaps one of rescues in Montreal could help since you have no space. What about the other woman? Does she not have space either? I would call a rescue - not so much the pound because they may euthenize her where she is a stray.