Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I do not know what is wrong.

Princesss04
May 18th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Remember me getting on her about a week ago and telling you all that my husband bought me two kittens for my wedding gift. And we woke up last Sunday morning and the little orange kitten was died and we have no reason why. We woke up this morning and Tie was died (well almost) he was actting the same as the other one did when he died. I hurried and called the vet and we rushed him right in but before we could get him there he died. We still took him to the vet and they are running test to see what is happening to them. But we have no idea, they are 7 weeks old. We have searched the house over and over and can find nothing to our knowledge that could have hurt them they died one week apart. I checked all my plants to see if there was teeth marks and there was nothing. I do not know what is wrong with them. The vet said we were feeding them right and we were feeding them the food from the vet. If anyone has any idea ir thoughts PLEASE let me know. :confused: They do not eat table scraps or anythig like that either.

Lucky Rescue
May 18th, 2004, 11:46 AM
OH, I'm so sorry!!:(

The only way to know for sure is to have a necropsy done, but wasn't it suggested that clumping litter may have killed your other kitten?

This is just too sad.

mizzlittle
May 18th, 2004, 11:55 AM
what is clumping litter?

Goldenmom
May 18th, 2004, 11:58 AM
That is terrible!!!!!! Were they coughing, sneezing, goopy eyes?? Anything???? This is very strange.....

Clumping litter is when the kitten/cat urinates in the litter, it clumps together so that you can just remove the ball of pee.

Heather

Princesss04
May 18th, 2004, 12:03 PM
The vet never saw the last kitten but they said that they have heard of that and since we were using that there was always that chance. The kitten is at the vet now and the are suppose to let me know what they found out. We stopped using that litter as soon as the other one died. But I guess if it was in his little body it still could have caused problems. :(

Princesss04
May 18th, 2004, 12:04 PM
They had never sneezed or coughed the little gray on Tie had one eye the was nasty when he would wake up in the morning but if you wiped it off with a warm rag it was fine all day and it prolly only did it about every other day not every day.

Princesss04
May 18th, 2004, 12:06 PM
I called one of my friends and she was telling me that mold can kill a cat has anyone ever heard of that? But you would think we would be able to tell with that. The cat was fine nothing wrong eatting the same and everything. Could he have eatten something at the place that we got him from and it just now kicked into his system we have no idea! It makes me sad because I have no idea and I do not want to get another cat if this is something that will happend again. :(

Goldenmom
May 18th, 2004, 12:14 PM
I would definately wait on getting another kitten until you are sure what caused the deaths. Yes, it could have been from the place you got them from. Have you called them and told them what has happened, just in case they have others there? I feel so bad for you..... Its very sad when you see an animal die, especially right in front of you.

Heather

Luba
May 18th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Oh dear I am so very sorry to hear this, so very very sad.

I agree with waiting to determine what caused the deaths, if contageous you do not want to expose another pet to the same thing.

I truly hope you find what happened.

((Hugs))

Princesss04
May 18th, 2004, 12:33 PM
That is what we thought about waiting I hate coming home from work and not having my kitten there. It was bad enough the first one but now the second one. I hope to hear from the vet soon. What all will they do to him to find out what killed him and how long do you think it will take. I hate waiting I want to know what killed my baby. :(

chico2
May 18th, 2004, 12:39 PM
So sorry Princess,I tend to believe they were sick when you got them,but of course you didn't know.
I am glad you'll find out what caused it and please let us know and I too would hold off on getting another kitten until you know it's not something contagious.

mona_b
May 18th, 2004, 12:45 PM
I'm so sorry..... :(

Unfortunately I think Anita is right.They had to have been sick before you got them.Can you contact the people where hubby got them?I would.If there were any other kittens in that litter then they may be sick also.

They will probably take some tests and blood work to see what happened.

I would definately hold off on getting another kitten for now.

Princesss04
May 18th, 2004, 12:51 PM
We called the man that he got them from and he said as of now the other kittens in the liter seem to be fine. He still has the rest of them at his house.. But ours was fine to and than they were gone. I asked if any of them had been sick or if the mom was sick and he said not that he knew of but they have like 15 cats outside and two liters of kittens. So he can not see them all that often. I wonder if he could have eatten something or drank something outside. They were living in a shed barn type thing. I am not sure but I will let you all know as soon as I hear. If it was the liter for sure I am writing that company and raising He**! They should not be selling things like that if it can kill a animal. Does it sound like Parvo to any of you! :(

mona_b
May 18th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Well I guess there is no need to tell you what I feel about this person..... :mad: :mad:

Here is what I posted a while back about the clumping litter.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4038

Princesss04
May 18th, 2004, 02:35 PM
I talked to the vet and he said there was nothing out of the normal. He said there was a few round worms but that is normal in a kitten that is born outside. He said that there was no sign of being poisioned and the stomach or the intestines had not been blocked so it was not the liter. Said he did not see any heart worms or ring worm. So he has no idea. Said that every once in a while you will hear of kittens dying for no reason kind of like Sids in a infant. But he is not sure, he said that there was nothing in the stomach but he eatten the night before and he ate all the time, he said that if it is the things like SIDS that the whole liter could die that it is something in the blood that they can not explain. I was like well can I bring another cat in the house and he said that he would not see why not just clean everything real good. He is suppose to call me back this afternoon because I still have more questions for him. So that is all I know right now. Not much more than before I hate not knowing what was wrong, I have a hard time believing that they can not tell me! :mad: :(

Goldenmom
May 18th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Oh, thats too bad! I hate the "not knowing" I kinda leaves you in left field. If you plan on getting another kitten, you may want to bring only 1 into the house at this time. Honestly, I would wait a month or so, just in case something is in the house.

Heather

Princesss04
May 18th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Yes, I think that is a good idea I am going home this afternoon and going to clean and was things in the bathroom where they slept at night and wash thing with bleach and that kind of stuff. I would rather know and be able to fix it rather than not knowing and having them just guess! :mad:

Lucky Rescue
May 18th, 2004, 02:46 PM
To spare yourself more heartache, I suggest the next kittens you get come from a shelter that checks the animal's health, or from a cat rescue.

The person you got these ones from is being incredibly irresponsible and neglectful and should be reported for this, and the cats could have any number of diseases and parasites.

Princesss04
May 18th, 2004, 02:56 PM
I agree that is what my husband said that when we get another one we will go to the local shelter and get one because they need good homes to. Thank you for all your help and believe me I will be talking to that man very soon I am not happy. My thing is that it is not the kittens fault that they are in a bad enviroment and we tired our bes to take care of them got them right into the vet had an appointment set up to get him fixed and all that and this still happend. I am just glad he did not have to suffer! :(

wAggie
May 18th, 2004, 04:59 PM
good luck with the decisions you make and may your kitten get better...

*hugs*

:(

Princesss04
May 19th, 2004, 10:16 AM
good luck with the decisions you make and may your kitten get better...

*hugs*

:(

Thank you for your help and support but I am not sure if you know my kitten already died but I really do appreciate your concern! :)