Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

After Care for bleeding toenail on dog

Colleen C
August 29th, 2007, 07:01 PM
The other night i trimmed my dogs toenail too closely and it bled :cry: I cleaned the wound and the bleeding stoped. I seems to be healing just fine. I'm worried if I take her out on a walk it could re-open the wound. How long should my dog 'lay low' around the house and when can I take her out for a full fledge walk without worrying? Thanks in advance for your help!

breeze
August 29th, 2007, 07:06 PM
IMO and I must atmit I have done that also that if it not bothering her or him then I would take the pooch out for a walk and when you come back just clean the wound again to make sure it is clean and free of germs. the same goes in the house, if it starts to bleed then stop the playing.

mummummum
August 29th, 2007, 07:24 PM
If it gets dirty it might be better to use water in a spray bottle (or an antiseptic spray if she stepped in something dicey) to flush it rather than rubbing at it with a wash cloth and risk irritating the cut.

jessi76
August 29th, 2007, 07:39 PM
next time you're at a pet supply store, pick up a small jar of styptic powder. it should be located where the other nail trimming stuff is. if it happens again, simply dip the bleeding nail in the jar to stop it. (one small jar lasts a long time)

my dog has had a couple nail issues, once he had dirt & grime jammed up in his nail... I use an old plastic container (clean margarine tub, or cool whip tub) fill w/ warm water, and dip and hold the affected paw in it (as long as the dog will tolerate it). this will loosen any "gunk" and flush out the wound at the same time. pat dry, put on a dab of antibacterial ointment, try to keep the dog from licking for a few minutes, and repeat daily until healed up. as long as you keep it clean, you should be able to enjoy walks & playtime outside.

punkyamberlea
August 29th, 2007, 07:53 PM
You can also stop the bleeding by clotting it with flower, baking soda, soap. amber

Frenchy
August 29th, 2007, 09:57 PM
I did this to Daisy once :sad: I put flour on it to stop the bleeding. Later on our walk it started bleeding again. She was fine the next day.