Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

eukanuba lo residue food by prescription only

loneshark
August 29th, 2007, 05:46 PM
should have the vet prescribe this food for my puppies diarrhea ?? see my other thread here (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44142)

i read alot of good things about old mother hubbards Wellness puupy5 mix

and the puppy had diarhea after a week of eating it, i thought maybe cuz of new water, in a new home, being separated from his brother, who he was with since birth.

the symptoms just dont point at the Wellness puppy food.

what do you know about this euka stuff.

thanks Felipe and Esco

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Wellness is a much better food than Eukanuba. I posted in your other thread but did you do the switch gradually from Science Diet to Wellness? If not, that will definitely cause diarrhea. Even when you do switch gradually there is a period of adjustment while his body gets used to better quality ingredients. Also, brands like Science Diet also contain stool hardeners that are not used in the premium/holistic brands. I would try adding a little plain organic yogurt to his food or you can purchase probiotics or digestive enzymes.

loneshark
August 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM
thanks, and yes i replyed to you in the other thread

and you are the second person to tell me that euka and science diet are not good.

and i like the yogurt plan.

mummummum
August 29th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I agree ~ Wellness wins hands down over Eukanuba. When you were feeding Science Diet ~ were you feeding the "Lamb & Rice" puppy formula or did you also use their " Chicken & Rice" puppy food? I'm asking because if you just starting using a chicken-based food (Wellness) you may have an allergy/ sensitivity issue on your hands and that may be causing the diarrhea.

loneshark
August 29th, 2007, 06:56 PM
awesome thought, yes it was lamb and rice

and his skin does seem a little too pinkish, under his short white hair.

and he nibbles on his hind legs all too often, and theres nothing there.

what are symptoms of an allergy, i know they can do tests, but what else could there be ??

mummummum
August 29th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Excessive shedding, itchy or overly oily skin, repeatedly very gunky and/or infected ears, nausea and vomitting, runny stools and/or diarrhea... and the list goes on.

Two of my dogs can't tolerate chicken (along with awhole whack of things :rolleyes:) Maybe you should look a holistic kibble that isn't chicken based and see how he does. (But keep him on the Metro all the same!)

jessi76
August 29th, 2007, 07:04 PM
you've gotten alot of suggestions (I saw the other thread). keep in mind this is a 10 wk old pup.

before going crazy with adding things - fiber, yogurt, chicken, rice, new foods, etc... give the prescribed medicine a chance to work. take it easy on any extras (treats), stick to one food, and a set feeding schedule.

if it clears up, you'll know the med's worked.

if not, then I'd suggest a very gradual kibble/dog food change. NO ADDED other stuff just yet. give the slight food adjustment a chance to work.

adding a bunch of digestive helpers (fiber, probiotics, etc) to a pup can also cause upset and even prolong upset. not to mention, you can easily create a very picky pooch this way.

JMO, but I'd go slow and give the meds a chance to work first.

loneshark
August 29th, 2007, 08:02 PM
check my other thread please.

and thank you so much