Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

doggy diarrhea and vomiting

loneshark
August 29th, 2007, 06:36 PM
hello, so my puppy has had diarrhea for about 2 weeks now, I read alot online about rice and boiled chicken and it seemed to work, for a few days, than it came back 3 days ago.

so i went to the vet today and they prescribed metronidazole 250mg, one a day pill for 7 days.

but according to this website click here (http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/monographs/metronidazole.asp)it says not to give to puppies ??

why is that, is it true ??

is it due to weight ? or age.

he is 18.5 pounds at 10 weeks

hope you can help

thanks alot

felipe and esco

mummummum
August 29th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I think young puppies actually refers to those who have not yet been weaned. Given your dog's weight and age I don't think you should see any side effects. Did your Vet suggest anything to coat his stomach ?

If his stomach seems upset by the Metro, ask your Vet about using Pepcid AC and dosage.

loneshark
August 29th, 2007, 06:58 PM
well the puppy was weaned very early by the breeder, at about 6 weeks, and lived happily with my brother and his brother. so 2 puppies and my brother. they were eating science diet for puppies very well and never had diarrhea. but that was in virginia, now i brought the puppy home to florida, and after a week of being here, he started having diarrhea.

he is happy, looks good, energetic and its all his Wellness puppy5 food.

but he has the ****s !!

but i see what your saying about a "puppy" but he is in all respects still a puppy.

after more research i found this. link (http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_giardiasis.htm)

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Did you slowly switch him from the Science Diet to Wellness? If you did a cold switch that would cause the diarrhea. Also, when you switch from brand like Science Diet to a premium/holistic brand there is transition period while the dog adjusts to a healthier food. To help him adjust try adding a little plain organic yogurt to his food or you can purchase probiotics or digestive enzymes. :pawprint:

loneshark
August 29th, 2007, 07:28 PM
no, i was stupid and switched him cold, i didnt know, but after I found out, after about 2 days of giving him the new food, the diarrhea started, and it hasnt gone away since.

like i said, at the first sign of diarrhea, i started the rice and boiled chicken in small quantities, about half a cup 4 times a day, and that worked after 3 days of giving it to him, the 4th day he had good stool, that lasted for maybe 4 days and now were back to melting chocolate soft ice cream !
but i like the yogurt idea, any brands you recommend, or any yogurt ya think ? i love me some organic stuff.

mummummum
August 29th, 2007, 07:28 PM
If it's one thing I know about with three dogs in the house is PARASITES !! I had two puppies with giardia at the same time ~ you think YOU'VE seen alot of vomit and diarrhea ??? :laughing: The Metro will clear that up in no time. Did your Vet confirm it was parasites with a fecal exam ?

loneshark
August 29th, 2007, 07:31 PM
no they didnt confirm, just gave it to him as a precautionary measure.

i thought maybe she was just trying to give me something to get me out the door, cuz their was a line, and you know how doctors like to make their patients happy with drugs, so Im doing my research now.

but they did have the tech look a the poo and either she didnt know, or they didnt find anything.

mummummum
August 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Ordering it as a precautionary measure is fairly routine. They likely sent it to a lab for a further look-see. Depending on the parasites it can take a few fecal exams to confirm because of their cyclical nature (unless they are shedding many types won't normally show up in the poop).

As for yoghurt ~ any organic variety will do. Just ensure that no matter what you buy it a/ does not contain artificial sweeterners and b/ it is not flavoured (dogs do not need sugar in their diet).

You may also want to try adding some psyllium (ie. Metamucil ~ you can get it at the drug store) for additional fibre to firm up the poop or canned pure pumpkin (not pie-filling).

loneshark
August 29th, 2007, 07:46 PM
wow, so how should i feed him ?? meal wise ?

im thinking, 3 times a day. total of 3/4 cup per serving, half a cup of puppy food, like 4 tablespoons yogurt, and 4 tablespoons pumpkin

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 07:51 PM
As MX3 said giardia doesn't always show in the poop sample and that's why the metronidazole is just given anyway. Make sure you give it to him with food so it doesn't upset his tummy.

Also, as said, any plain organic yogurt that contains all the live bacterial cultures and no added sugar is fine. The brand doesn't matter....you're in the States and we're in Canada anyway. :D

Plain canned pumpkin will also help but, as mentioned, do not use the pie filling type. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

loneshark
August 29th, 2007, 07:54 PM
thanks ! i might be in calgary on the 11th, for the start of the players run (http://www.playersrun.com)

and i sure will keep you maple leafs posted !! thanks so much, Esco says ruff !

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I would just try adding one tablespoon of yogurt/pumpkin to his puppy food. :pawprint:

loneshark
August 29th, 2007, 07:57 PM
thats it ??? hes 18 pounds, seems like a little too little to me. no?

gonna run to the market to get pumpkin, not spiced, pure

and yogurt, organic, unsweetened, live culture

and something for me for dinner.

be back soon

aim: loneshark2000
yahoo: capo7878

thanks

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 08:09 PM
It's not too little cuz you've got him on metronidazole. Just add the yogurt or pumpkin with that (not both). I would try the yogurt first with the meds. :pawprint:

mummummum
August 29th, 2007, 08:13 PM
It's not too little cuz you've got him on metronidazole. Just add the yogurt or pumpkin with that (not both). I would try the yogurt first with the meds. :pawprint:

Not both ? How come Rainbow? I've always used both :shrug: The yoghurt to restore good flora to the gut, the pumpkin/ psyllium to firm up the poop with fibre. Edumecate me :D !

loneshark
August 29th, 2007, 09:02 PM
^^^ yea what he said, some are saying only pumpkin for now, yogurt in few days, others say, pumpkin, and others say both.

im gonna go with a little bit of both, like a teaspoon of each with a little food and his metro

and i just took him out to poop and pee, and he pooped straight water, no stool at all.

he hasnt eaten since breakfast, and he only ate half this morning, so i gave him the mix of kibble, pumpkin, and yogurt, it came out to about a cup and a half of food, and he ate about half, very eagerly too ! but the spot where i put the metro pill he pushed to the side, and now the pill is a white sludgy mess in the pumpkin.

at least he ate, and now hes playing with his rope toy !!

:usa: :ca: :thumbs up

ill keep ya posted !

mummummum
August 29th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Loneshark ~ can you dose him yourself by putting the pill on the back of his tongue ? If he will have none of that then tuck the pill in a ball of peanut butter and give it to him that way.

loneshark
August 29th, 2007, 11:48 PM
yes !! he ended up finishing the food, and licking the bowl clean so im sure he ate the pill.

and funny you say that, cuz i found that peanut butter pill trick on yahoo answers !!

i will def. try that tomorrow !!

again thanks so much !

Lukka'sma
August 30th, 2007, 09:25 AM
How is your pup today? Are the stools any better?
After months of soft runny stools from Lukka I know all too well what that is like