Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy to adult?

Ford Girl
August 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Hi, just wondering if I need to trasition/mix the Orijen LB puppy formula with the adult formula when we switch Dazy? She's got 1/4 of the puppy stuff left, I am about to buy the adult formula...cuz she's all growned up!!! I can hardly believe it. :sad: :o :sad: :o :sad: :o :sad: :o

Winston
August 29th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Hi Ford Girl! I just switched Winston over from Orijen Adult to the Fish formula and had no problems...but puupy to adult might be different?? I think because the brand is the same and a majority of the ingrediants are similiar it should be okay....does Daisy like Orijen! my boy loves it! ( the fish formula is really smelly though!)

Cindy
:laughing:

breeze
August 29th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I was told that if you stay with the same brand type it would not matter,
I did it with Bree and I had no problems...
How time fly's she is almost 1 year of age :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ford Girl
August 29th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I know, I can't believe it!! This time last year we started looking for a puppy!!! She's so big now, she's a mix between puppy and an adult dog, someday it's like she's one or the other....some days she is so puppy and others...BOOM..there's my big girl all grown up.

Ya, I know, I'm crazy.

She loves Orijen, I tried for a week to up her food, she was still eating only 3.5 cups a day, the bag says up to 4.25, which I know is always higher then they need - so we upped it to 4 cups a day, and it gave her the runs, so we went back to 3.5. She alos gets Evo mixed in, not much, but some, raw meat or eggs once or twice a week, yogurt and treats, and bones...

It's funny, some days she will go back several times to lick her dish, and I mean lick and lick and lick making the biggest racket possible....and others she won't eat. She regualtes herself alot on it, she will have a growth spurt then not eat for 2 days, I stopped worrying about it after the second time. Weight wise, she's right where we want her to be, nice and lean at 67lbs @ 11.5 months.

Ford Girl
August 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Winston - how much do your dogs weigh and how much are you feeding them? Just wondering.

breeze
August 29th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Ford Girl Bree weights 70lbs and she get a total of 3 cups a day on Timberwolf elk and salmon.... most days she can't get enough, it is like we are underfeeding her, she does get treats every day for being brushed, ears cleaned, and training, just little ones :D

Bree also if I 8up her food gets the runs

Ford Girl
August 29th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Ford Girl Bree weights 70lbs and she get a total of 3 cups a day on Timberwolf elk and salmon.... most days she can't get enough, it is like we are underfeeding her, she does get treats every day for being brushed, ears cleaned, and training, just little ones :D

Bree also if I 8up her food gets the runs

Thanks, good to know how much others are feeding, funny how 1/2 a cup makes that much difference when it comes to digestion and keeping them regular.

breeze
August 29th, 2007, 03:52 PM
sometimes I think I am not feeding her enough and would like to give her more the way she licks the bowl like you said. licks and licks and licks and licks

famious saying "enough already jees" :laughing: :laughing:

rainbow
August 29th, 2007, 05:04 PM
There's no need to mix the puppy and adult formulas....a cold switch is fine. Both my boys are on Orijen....Logan (58lb. husky) gets 2 1/2 cups per day and Chase (88lb. lab) gets 3 1/2 cups per day normally but I've cut him back to 2 3/4 cups as he is still recovering from TPLO surgery and not able to be exercised properly yet.

Winston
August 29th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Fordgirl..Winston is a 7 year old pup!! acts like one anyway!! He weighs in at 110lbs.....and he is not fat by any means...he used to eat 4 cups per day of vet food...but I have found with Orijen eats eats 3 and a bit..most of the time it is 3 cups per day..best part is his poops are now PERFECT!! they dont even stick to the grass.....:laughing: and they are smaller than they used to be. I never thought he would eat the fish formula though because he has always snubbed any food change that I have dont in the past with fish..but it is working.

To think I paid $92.50 per bag of dog food from the vet :yell: :yell: to solve his skin issues, scratching, and always dealing with horrible runny poops..:shrug: now I have none of that!!! and I pay way less for the food.I think it works out to $71.00 per bag

Cindy